Pride Reserve List

I was just informed that, to go from Pride’s regular list to be offered their Reserve bottlings takes about $6500 in purchase history.

Anyone out there with corroborating or differing experience?

Id be very surprised if that’s true. I made the reserve list a very long time ago and definitely wasn’t true then.

I signed up close to 10 years ago and I think you are correct about at least minimal buying
probably $300 a year. It used to be that there was not a correlation and they were seperate lists but i think that has changed.

It took me longer to get on Pride Reserve than Abreu, Harlan, Screagle and, well, every other list by a very long margin. I called every few years to remind them I was patiently waiting. Not sure what did it, but I made it, finally.

The number came directly from a rep from Pride, though she did say it was an average. The list closed in 1999 so if it was near that time one could probably get on it fairly quickly.

I’ve gotten on the Harlan and other lists quickly and never bought bottles because I find the tariff offensive and way out of my league. I’m not sure why I did it - probably just to see if I could. I think Pride Reserve is actually worth the money it commands, and I respect that it’s actually hard to come by. Just wish they’d let me in… :slight_smile:

haven’t paid that much attention as Cabs are not my priority anymore but how do these age?
Especially the Merlot dominant Claret?

Not a clue about the number. I joined the reserve list about 2003 by my records. I had purchased Pride wines for several prior to that, but I don’t think I ever hit that number. I received a call from them asking if I wanted to join the Reserve list. Never signed up that I know of. Very happy I got the call and joined the list. I have not regretted that decision. Over the years, the wines have only gotten better.

I hate to admit it…and please don’t tell my wife, but this looks correct from my fairly recent experience. I just went to their website, and I signed up in early 2006, and finally got on the reserve list in 2012 after about that much in purchases, maybe just a bit less. Many phone calls in the mean time, to no avail. There was the intermediate step of getting on the vinters reserve list. I missed one year of the vinters reserve and called to apologize and ask to be put back on the list. I had a friend who liked pride who helped me buy wine on my account, so that helped to get there. Crazy…

They age quite well and usually require some age. While the Cabs seem to get more attention, I have usually liked the Claret better. While I am not on the list, luckily these can usually be found in CC as part/all of an allocation at cost.

I have been on the list for 3-4 years and recall at the time that upon inquiring to get added I was told that $5k in spending was among the factors. I was pretty close and got added the following year. I will add that I had been on the regular list for 6-7 years…I think that helped.

I liked these wines better when Bob Foley made 'em and they limited the Reserves to something like under 500 cases. Seems to me that the expansion of the Reserve program (i.e., upping production) concided with a drop in intensity and precision in the wines. Just my 2 cents.

It may help if you visit the winery. I remember 8-10 years ago when I first visited Pride and inquired why I was not on the reserve list. I was able to purchase a few bottles right on the spot and was on it after that point. All that being said I most likely had bought close to $4000 worth of wine over the previous years. Things could be different today.

My only experience with older Pride reserves would be the 2001 Cabernet and Claret. When I tried them at 10 - 12 years of age they were so packed with fruit and structure I could not imagine them not lasting a very long time (20+ years). Of course YMMV but I appreciate secondary and tertiary characteristics along with my fruit.

I like to drink their regular Red wines with several years of bottle age on them. I especially enjoy the Cabernet Franc with 3 - 5 years of age. I have not cracked opened any of my 05 or 06 Reserves as of yet. Not a big buyer today as I have plenty in my cellar and I was a Foley fan.

I have fond memories of several visits and picnics at the winery and will return for sure.

I was able to buy some reserve cab and claret when at the winery a couple of weeks ago and I have never before ordered from them. I wish they had the Sangiovese available but they did not.

I agree. Opened a 1996 Claret last year and it was excellent. Really holding well with no concern of going over the hill in my opinion.

Always thought they need age on them to show best (at least the way they were made by Foley). I still have a bottle each left of the 94/95/96 - been meaning to do a vertical and see how they have turned out. The “good ole days” were nice - I called the winery right after reading RPs reviews of the 94 reserves, spoke with Carolyn and placed an order on the spot. Bought through the 05s but then dropped off and so I am not familiar with the current style and cannot comment on the aging curve of the recent releases.

I was just glad they got rid of the wax seal after 94.

I find that while I really liked the Foley era wines, I think the post-Foley oak treatment seems better integrated when the wines are released. It used to be several years until the oak wasn’t the dominant feature. While the oak is still there in currant wines, it doesn’t seem to be as much in the front.

I had been on the Pride reserve list for many years (1995 - 2006) and acquired a lot of wine, always buying at least a case a year. Have not been able to keep up on consumption so if anybody is interested I am interested in selling (or possibly trading) reserve cabs and clarets mainly from 2000 - 2004. PM if interested, will sell at (close to) release price or better if buying in bulk. Just drank the 02 Cab res and it was stunning over 3 nights.