TN: 2002 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Perignon Andy Warhol Label

• 2002 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Perignon Andy Warhol Label - France, Champagne (2/14/2014)
    For Valentine’s Day…red label of course! MAN…if you’re ever going to decant a Champ…this is the one……still tons of tight acidity in this sucker. Starting to show a little more sea salted caramel…to go along with the refreshing high toned citrus, peach, melon, green apple fruit. Tiny laser beam lemon bubbles….nice vanilla/caramel/yeast creme mousse…pretty white flower florals, ginger ale…saline minerality. Very tasty and refreshing…and starting to taste of the Dom….but still in need of a few more years so no hurry. Always fun though! (94 pts.)

champagne.gif

Posted from CellarTracker

Each 2002 Dom I’ve opened has had a cork that came flying out of the bottle easily after removing the cage. Twice I’ve almost hit guests.

I’ve never tasted the Warhol bottling but I agree that the 02 in general needs more time, Im enjoying the 96 and 98 right now. I really like the 98 but don’t think it gets the praise it should. I picked up numerous bottles on WB a couple of years ago for $120ish and they have all been exceptional.

I like the 99 right now as well!

Are you implying there are different bottlings between The Warhol and the regular 2002? I thought it was the regular juice with just a jazzed up label and a ridiculous price tag.

+1

I have no idea but I figured just the opposite; I thought this bottling would be a different blend than the regular juice. Who would pay more for a different label/same blend?

Seriously? You are placing way too much faith in the rational thinking of your fellow humans. Go to a grocery or drug store and look at how well the brands do versus generics sitting four inches away on the shelves. Now multiply that mentality by roughly a billion to see how it applies to all varieties of hobbyists and collectors. :astonished:

I tell you what though…I’ve had the Warhol bottle twice and the reg bottle 4 times…and both Warhols seemed much better?? [scratch.gif]

I paid less for the Warhol version. The regular and this are identical wine, I believe.

Buzz, only a ‘94’?

neener

I wasn’t implying so much as I just didn’t know. A quick search turned up the answer from our local Champagne expert. Quoting Brad Baker from a previous thread, "We did a line-up (for fun) of all 10 2002 DP Color Variations a few months back. This consisted of the 6 glossy Warhols, the 3 paper Warhols, and the traditional paper label. These were served to both wine and non-wine folks. While it was fun to see people argue over which bottle was best and declare that they found the differences, the bottles all were uniform. As Ray said, there are no purposeful differences between the bottles. Same juice, same dosage, different label.

DP is a high production wine and some variation occurs though they are working hard to minimize it. It also is a wine that gets mishandled quite a bit."

I wish I could do a similar line-up (for fun)!! My hip pocket (and wife) might have something to say about that though…

Me too

I liked the blue label so I assembled a blue case.

+1. It surprised me.

Also, I have had enjoyable experiences, but have yet to have an '02 Dom knock my socks off.

I did not back up the truck.

The kind of people who like Warhol…

Label drinker.