Glassware by the case?

I know there have been a bunch of threads on affordable glassware, but I don’t search so well. What are some good options for red wine glasses for a large group? Ideally a nice large bowl, not too heavy or cheap feeling, and most of all affordable.

Thanks! [cheers.gif]

Check out the Riedel Restaurant Series. Other than that some of the stems mentioned in the Zalto thread.

The Restaurant series is unbeatable for QPR. The Syrah glass is as close to an all-purpose one as I’ve found. Riesling glass good for lighter whites and sparklers.

If you know any wine distributors they can usually get a really good deal when purchasing several cases.

I bought a case of the Crate & Barrel “Hip” Zalto look-alike for home use, as well as a case for gifts for friends. About $5/stem.

I had two of the C&B Hip glasses but they’re just too big for my liking and one broke during a fairly gentle cheers-ing.

Depends on what you want to spend. Schott-Zweisel is on sale once in a while and they’re great. Or Stoltzle - another German producer that’s the equivalent of some of more discussed more often on this board.

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/stolzle/s3760035/p1474260.aspx

I agree with the Schott Zweisel rec. I like the glasses with the titanium in them for their perceived help with durability (whether or not actually true). I can find these for low 50s on the 6 pack making it about 8.50 a glass. Not bad and I find that they hold up really well in my dishwasher or when accidentally knocked off the coffee table by the dog.

picked up a case of 12 for 65 bucks Saturday

You can check out this place, i’ve recently bought from them with good results. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/
(look under “Table top” icon for the glasses.)

Where might you have done that, sir?

Drive out to World Market (Bailey’s Crossroads area - King Street (7) off 395) - they have several glasses that you can buy for a tasting or nice dinner party for around $5 (or under when on sale). They are from Thailand and are called the “Event” line. They have all-purpose, white, red, etc. They also have lower-cost glasses you can buy by the case. The Event glasses are similar in design to the Riedel Vinum line.

Check local restaurant supply stores.

At my local butcher shop–go figure

Storyteller Wines hooked me up with restaurant Riedels. Michael Alberty is a great guy.

+1 on these.