Proposal to have restaurant customers buy their wine on "futures"...

…and pay less:

I think this is dreamland (especially the bit about how, if you want a second bottle, you pay a higher price), but who knows?

This seems like some sort of weird hybrid of buying off a wine list and having a private “locker” at a restaurant. I do have one local restaurant where I know the wine buyer and if I want something specific he will show me his sales rep’s inventories and pricing prior to bringing the wines in, so I guess that is similar.

I would rather just be able to BYOB and pay a corkage.

I agree that I would prefer BYOB and reasonable corkage. However, restaurants want to be go to wine experiences for all people, even those without cellars and who don’t have the time to go to their local wine stores before heading to dinner. I understand the idea, even think it is a good one. I think that the higher priced second bottle would be hard - I could see forsaking that second bottle if it is a higher price, thereby lowering overall wine sales.

We did this successfully at a restaurant I worked at with some folks who came in weekly and had particular wines they liked - we would buy a case of their favorite and they would just personally drink through it.

It’s actually a good idea and one that I would use when I travel. It would be cool to set a reservation on Open Table and at the same time place your order for wine. When local, I always pay corkage.

I am not suggesting there isn’t an inventory problem that could use a solution. But there are so many variables here: cancellations? corked bottles? creating an infrastructure to resell bottles between diners? collecting and crediting monies. What prevents it from becoming an auction where two parties want to sell a wine (one has been waiting for weeks because he wants $200, and another finds a diner to to buy his tonight for $160) Who manages it all? Depending on the state, people can bring their own wine. Bottom line is it takes the spontaneity out of the dining experience. Should people order their dinner ahead of time too?