TN: 2005 Lillian Winery Syrah (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County)

• 2005 Lillian Winery Syrah - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (2/17/2014)
    BOOM! Wow, what a wine!
    I drank a few of these early but also tucked some away for aging - boy am I glad I did. This is so much more complex than on release it’s amazing. This… is… Syrah! Big. Bold. Unapologetically in your face, Syrah. Weighing in at 15.6% the alcohol is evident in the viscosity of this wine - uber thick and chewy, really really chewy. The nose is incredible constantly changing. The palate shows a massive hit of fruit with pepper, spice, mint, and a touch of bacon on a very long finish. This was a blast to drink! (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I’m jealous - love this wine! Unfortunately, my 05’s are long gone.

Thanks for the note! Curious, any sort of decant on this? Going to open one of these up for a special occasion on Thursday and haven’t had an '05 in the past 5 years. Thanks!

For us it was pop and pour… into the decanter, then into the glass, then down the hatch! [cheers.gif]

I could see maybe an hour decant but it’s not necessary, might help a tad, won’t hurt. If you have the time and are so inclined…

Thanks for the note–quite timely as I just secured a mag on the Commerce Corner. [cheers.gif]

Excellent. I stuck these way back in the storage after release. Looks like the time is right. Thanks for the note.