POLL: How many bottles in your collection?

How many bottles in your collection?

• 0-50
  • 50-100
  • 100-200
  • 200-300
  • 300-500
  • 500-750
  • 750-1000
  • 1000+

0 voters

With all of the spring allocations, and many of us complaining about lack of storage space, I was curious…how many bottles do you currently have in your wine collection?

Is this about what you expected; I thought there would be more in the 500-750.

Lots of ballers here with five figure bottle count cellars.

I expected to see some large numbers, but not so many that have over 1000 bottles. Personally, I’m in the 300-500 bottle range.

You need a higher range,

Yeah, I’m beginning to realize that!

Cellar limit + 12 cases with another 10 cases incoming.

I was in the 300ish bottle range pre-baby. I’m now in the under 150 range. I wouldn’t trade it for all the wine in the world, though. [cheers.gif]

And I thought I had a storage problem!

From a CellarTracker perspective (as Ned says), you definitely want a poll with more granularity at the high end of the scale. You would be amazed…

Granularity. Word of the day!

Sounds like offsite storage if you don’t already have one.

55o bottels,overall italian wines and a Little french [cheers.gif]

Looked at another way, 960 bottles is 80 cases. If you live for 80 years after purchasing the 80 cases, that averages out to one case a year, or one bottle per month. That, plus the desirability of drinking properly aged, mature wine, shows how unsurprising the 1,000±bottle cellars and maxed-out credit cards should be, not to mention the wine lockers and credit cards hidden from significant others!

Poll stops way too early.

2 Eurocaves (really no space for another) and a closet
No offsite possibilities nearby.

Maybe I need to buy a bunch from Premier Cru for the “free storage”

Agreed on both points. I don’t recall prior polls showing such a predominance of 1000 bottle+ cellars. So has everyone here’s cellar grown or were prior polls broken down differently I wonder. I am close to that 500 bottle mark, but a break in buying has kept me below.

LOL, you’ve been spying on me again, Senor Klapp!

Bill raises a good point about drinking properly aged wines. If I look at my CellarTracker consumption history I have about 12-14 years of inventory. Given that I like to have wines with 10-15 years of age on them (some with more than that - e.g. Port) that number feels about right. I end up drinking both young and older wines, and the cellar keeps in balance. It does necessitate a shockingly high bottle count.

That being said, the credit card gets paid off in full every month. The retirement saving get fully funded every month. If the wine buying ever causes any of those to not happen then I am done with buying.

That’s because prior polls would have the 1000+ category spread over 2500, 5000, 10,000+ categories so not so bunched up.