More Wine List Help

Dinner at Sepia tomorrow for the father in-laws birthday. Thinking a champagne and a red of the list. Targeting <$100 (well below is a-OK). It’s a pretty long and eclectic list.
http://www.sepiachicago.com/sepia_winelist.pdf

Have my eyes on the Jean Vesselle Oeil de Perdrix for champagne.

Any reds catch folks eyes (i’m not too familiar with the Spanish, Greek and Portuguese listings). Have my eye on:
Occhipinti Frapatto
Terre Nere Guardiola
Man O War Syrah
Giornatta Aglianico

Clayton, I really enjoy Matthiasson and they have their 2011 white by glass. That’s what I would do for the white. For Red, under $100, I like the Brewer-Clifton pinot. I’ve had that before and it rang well for me so this would be what I’d order.

Have fun.

doesn’t look like he’s looking for a white.
i like the terre nere a lot and as long as it’s a good match for the food i would do that.

great choice on the bubbles btw

Decent list. Along with FMIII recs, the Gemrose Grenache, Lioco, Copain Tous Chard, Forlorn Hope …

Yes I was thinking about the Matthiason for the mother in laws glass of white (it would certainly be my choice). She’s an almost exclusively NZ SB drinker, so i’m wondering if it may be a little too lean and dry.

I’ve had the '10 Knez a couple of time and think it is quite good, but it has a slightly odd appearance that could be off-putting. Agree re: Brewer Clifton. Normally, I would go Lioco, but I am not a huge fan of the Indica.

However, I agree with one of the first bottles you mentioned. That Aglianico looks awesome and I think it would pair really nicely with their mains courses. Have fun - love Sepia!

The Terre Nere is awesome and has the added benefit of being pretty accessible for non-wine-geeks. The Occhipinti is also terrific (though a little more mineralic and less fruit-forward than the Guardiola, so maybe not as appealing for non-geeks). I know it’s not in your stated budget, but for a few bucks more ($125), the '99 Mastroberardino Taurasi Radici Riserva looks great (and has some age on it). I generally avoid wines with the words “Man” and “War” in their names, but the NZ Syrah also sounds interesting. Overall, though, I’d go with the Terre Nere…

There are some nice whites as well, but it sounds like you’re skipping that in favor of Champagne. Great looking wine list…

It’s the perfect wine list for Roberto. He need only look at the very first bottle listed:

10 Lambrusco Reggiano Rosso Secco Concerto, Medici Ermete, Emilia-Romagna (Salamino) 50 > [cheers.gif] >

I know you weren’t asking for a white, but they have a 94 and a 99 German rielsing on there for $60 and $70, I usually jump at those.

For something different on the reds list, this was an excellent 09 Cru Beaujolais, and one that was fuller and more Burgundy/pinot like.

09 Morgon Cuvée Unique Vieilles Vignes, Domaine Calot, Beaujolais (Gamay) 62

Happy hunting. It’s a neat wine list.

Well, in that case, bring in a buttery CA chard and pay the cork! I’m being a smart face but that Matthiasson white is really good and she may like it. You could bring another lost soul along to the land where lean whites reign supreme!

I had dinner there a couple weeks ago; great place. I don’t have the time to go through that whole list again, but I can tell you I had the Sojourn Rogers and it was really excellent. I ordered it to go with the tea smoked duck, so it made a nice pairing. It is a few bucks over your number though. In any event, a word on the food…my duck was really good, but the black garlic gnocchi that went with it was one of the best things I’ve eaten in a long time. Highly recommended.

This.

Becker Pinot Noir or Mordoree Lirac RdB