Oustanding Mike Steinberger Piece on the Current State of Wine....

…as well as so many of the thorny issues we grapple with. I thought the piece was remarkably well written and incredibly cogent.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2014/02/wine-drinkers-have-never-had-it-so-good

Adam Lee
Siduri Wines

Short, sweet and to the point.

Yes, excellent piece. I’ll drink to that.

Great piece. Thanks for sharing. It is easy to get caught up in the minutiae and many of the books/long-form articles I have read over the past year espouse a point of view and place people into camps. It is a great reminder of how wonderful and accomplished the world of wine is.

Fantastic article. Thanks for posting it, Adam.

I wonder how long it will be before this article gets quoted back to Michael.

Thanks Adam for posting this, a good reminder to not always get caught up in the little things, but to just enjoy the wines and community we’re a part of.

Good perspective!

Fantastic!

Here’s the key message, to me:

For all these reasons, wine lovers have never had it better than they do now…There is seldom any acknowledgment that these are really disputes over differences in taste (and sometimes ideology) and that, ultimately, there can be no losers because, well, we are all winners now. This quality revolution, which has spread to pretty much every corner of the wine world, has given everyone, from fruit bomb fanatics to natural-only pedants, lots of compelling wines to choose from.

He is right in many ways. But this is no time to rest, plenty of work still to be done.

You will drink to anything. [snort.gif]

Adam, is that comment from “TexaCali” you? [wink.gif]

Rama,

Nope…didn’t comment on it. Been busy at World of Pinot Noir.

Adam Lee
Siduri Wines

Go Mike. It’s what Bob should have said at that blogger conference.

Definitely [cheers.gif]

You ship to outer space?

+1. Happy that there’s plenty to go around, for every palate.

Steinberger makes a lot of good points, as he always does. But how about a little thought experiment:

Your eccentric uncle has invented a flux capacitor! It works perfectly, except it has some strange limitations. You can press a button and it will take you to any point on the space-time continuum - but only so long as there is a wine shop there. If you try to leave the wine shop, you will change history irrevocably and cease to exist. Fortunately, you can bring back anything you want. Oddly, though, through some bizarre quirk of physics that you can’t even begin to understand, every time you travel, the cash in your wallet gets converted to the inflation-adjusted equivalent of whatever you left with for the current date. Do you decide to set the machine to:

1. 2014
  2. Other

Other, but if you can bring something back, don’t you have to leave the wine shop and then cease to exist?

I’d be curious to see exactly what they did in the past, so that would be interesting because it would explain the present so much better.

But I’d be even more interested to see what would be happening in the future because I can’t really read about it or study something like archaeology that would teach me anything about it. I’d really like to know if there was still a world 500 years from now, and if there was still wine that we would recognize, and if they still believed that all the good grapes had already been invented, and if every wine was perfectly auto-adjusted to the palate of the drinker.

Adam, thanks for the link. Great piece, I agree.

Keith – do we get repeat trips? Am I limited to the cash in my wallet, or can I run to the bank and buy a couple of cases of 1993 La Tache at under $275 a bottle (in 2014 dollars)? Really, the only reason I wouldn’t choose 2014 is the incredible inflation of Burgundy prices.