99 Brickhouse and 94 Evesham Wood Pinots

A friend joined us last night after a fun day of business travel for a couple of older Oregon Pinots with grilled salmon (was an adventure shoveling out my grill on a -5 degree day and it under a few feet of snow but boy was it worth it) and brussel sprouts.

1999 Brickhouse Cuvee du Tonnelier - Had a little funk that blew off after about 30 minutes. Was closed at first but after about an hour opened up into this gorgeous complex layered wine. This was extremely yummy. Layers of black and red fruit with hints of forest floor. Medium long finish. In the 94 pt range. Could age more, decant an hour if enjoying soon.

1994 Evesham Wood Cuvee “J” Unfiltered - I was a little concerned with this one as it had seeped at some point and the cork was well soaked up until just about the top. Upon smelling and tasting wine wasn’t damaged. This 1994 was bought as part of an experiment to explore how Oregon pinot ages and also to explore the highly rated 1994 Oregon vintage. On its own, this wine had a wonderful nose with delicate fruit. The finish had this weird green stem thing going, probably from the unfiltering process; however, when you paired it with the food, it just blossomed on the finish. Certainly a treat to get the chance to enjoy. A well made wine that certainly has held up over time. 88 on its own/92 with food.
IMG_1543.jpg

Very cool, thanks for posting!

So, is the Brickhouse consistently funky. We will be in Oregon in 2 weeks and that was on our list until my wife noted they were funky and she hates funk. By the way, I love it.

NO , I have been drinking and cellaring Doug’s wines since 1995 and I do not consider them to be FUNKY.

One of the best producers in Or. Try for yourself , you decide.

Doug Tunnell makes excellent wine. Period. You want funk…stick with Cameron and other Dundee Hills PNs. Barely able to keep my hands off his 11s.

RT

Wish I were there. Really curious about oregon pinot and aging

Chris,

When in MPLS, give a pm. I’m sure a few people in the TC’s can find some older OR Pinot to share.

Cameron made a Brickhouse that year, great fruit but covered in funk.

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1487523#p1487523