Great Expectations

Still thinking about how Donna Tartt ripped off Dickens in The Goldfinch :wink:, thus the title.

Tyler Rico was in town for his grandmother’s Schmarmitzva so we opened a few bottles.

2002 Gouges Porrets 1er Cru - The first Gouges i’ve ever had that was drinkable. Not kidding, a great wine. The bouquet definitely had sauvage elements but there was also a nice minerality. Plenty of acid to buffer the tannin which was not formidable by any stretch. It’s not April Fools and this is in a great place right now. Pop n Pour. I would’t give it air - easily my favorite of the three since it has a decade or so of age.

2005 Fourrier Gevrey - Tons of sulphur to start, maybe even a very minor touch of brett with some air. A simple wine not offering much in the way of complexity but there’s balance underneath that matchstick and I’d wait at least 5 years unless you have a lot of this.

2010 Pousse Volnay Caillerets 1er Cru - Loaded up on this for my daughter’s birth year and happy to have done so. This also had some sulfur to start but it quickly dissipated like the Fourrier. The nose has some oak spice but to be expected, it’s accompanied by plum and black cherry aromas. Palatewise it’s baby killing of course, but has a ton of potential given it’s balance. A very pretty while muscular wine.

[scratch.gif] What is a schmarmitzva?

Apparently when you get re-mitzvaed. Zach has been to a few, let’s see if he chimes in.

champagne.gif

Jim it’s actually just a lame inside joke from like 5 years ago - the three of us were at a bar and we were trying to convince a gal there that we just came from Zach’s grandma’s schmarmitzva, and she was challenging us that there was no such thing.