Is Monte Rosso California's best vineyard?

I know this a mouthful of a question. I also know there will be a myriad of differing opinions. Regardless, I’m currently drinking a 2010 Carlisle Monte Rosso Zin which is fantastic, and I’m very curious to hear what the board has to say about this brilliant old-vine vineyard. Thanks! [cheers.gif]

Thanks, Mark J. Boldizsar, for the idea, and most of the words, in his Monte Bello post.

I need to start charging royalty fees for this kind of stuff. :wink:

YES! …and also the most beautiful!

I love it.

I love Monte Rosso, but love To Kalon more.

I have actually been wondering about this. Like in France they have 1st 2nd 3rd etc growths or grand cru, etc. Does California have similar ratings? Say for Zinfandel or Cabernet? What would be considered the top five vineyards for zinfandel? Then maybe the next best five vineyards?

anybody want to take a shot at it?

For zin, in no particular order:
Monte Rosso
Ueberroth
Bedrock
Dusi
Papera

Yes, yes, and yes, and I’ve said so before for Cabs and other varieties they have.

Good ones. I don’t know a lot about Ueberroth so I might sub in Hayne.

Funny, I subbed in Dusi for Hayne. Could go either way. [cheers.gif]

In other words, impossible to name 5.

Maybe 5 from Sonoma Valley:
Monte Rosso
Bedrock
Old Hill
Pagani
Fredericks (Weiss)

For zin, I’d need Black Sears, Carlisle and Montafi in there.

And Lytton, Geyserville, Old Hill. Ah, never mind…

Didn’t all the zin vines get ripped out of Hayne?

NO

Monte Rosso is the best, yes. The semillon puts it over the top.

Drank the 2009 Carlisle Monte Rosso Zin over the weekend, the bets Zin I think ive ever had. It had all the fruit and forwardness of a zin but somehow had the backbone of structure of a syrah

Best vineyard or best zin vineyard? Did I somehow misunderstand the title and OP? Best overall vineyard in CA without question but for zin my vote would be tied with only one other place, Carlisle.

Fun topic, but a loaded question!

1. Bedrock
  2. Pagani
  3. Carlisle
  4. Hayne
  5. Monte Rosso

Honorable Mentions

1. Dolinsek
  2. Kirschenmann
  3. Papera Ranch
  4. DuPratt
  5. Montafi Ranch