Sea Smoke

Anyone try the Sea Smoke PN’s from the current release? If so, what do you think. I just recently got on the list. At $60-80 per btl would love some input on this release. Thanks

Harris,

I haven’t tried them but considering the vintage I bought 3&3.

Done with Sea Smoke after the Gratis situation.

I got on the list last year but decided not to purchase anything. I got one of those letters in Jan telling me if I bought their sparkling wine I would make the list. I passed. There are too many solid pinots out there right now and I am screening more producers right now to thin my keepers out even more.

Sadly my mother in law (now 90 years young) and I are done with Sea Smoke after 10 yrs and having spent over $12,000. Only being allocated 1 bottle of Botella, my Ipad showed the Botella to be a secure allocation, but when I went to order it was gone. Sea Smoke explained the limited availability did not show up on an Ipad, they were sorry, but there was nothing they could do. Having been in retail for over 35 years I would never treat a longtime customer this way. My mother in law was not happy- “what do mean I don’t get my Botella?” Nice wines, nice people, but we are very disappointed. Too many great customer service models out there that go to great lengths to take care of their customers- Sojourn and anything Ed Kurtzman does for example. I even opened a UPS store account in Ft. Collins, CO to receive the wine because they don’t ship to Nebraska.

You know what really stinks Jerry, you know they have several cases set aside for library, tastings, family, etc. You did the right thing by dropping them, why spend your $ with producers who have forgotten how to take care of their veterans. Karma will bite them on the ass.

Good point Rick. My family has been in retail for over 90 years, my grandfather always preached to us about customer service. “Always take care of your customers, loyalty must be earned.”

With others here on not buying. I have been on the list and buying for several vintages, then read that others that have not bought in several vintages get a free bottle of wine.
I might not have went all in every year, but at least I was supporting the winery.
The last 2 year I was not even offered any Botella.

I was on the mailing list, but I am not that impressed with SS anymore, so I am off.

Jerry,

Curious whether or not you called and spoke to anyone about this. Seems outrageous based on your purchasing history that it could not be ‘found’ . . . Definitely NOT a way to treat a consistent customer, IMHO . . .

Cheers

Have you had any direct contact with the winery post the ‘gratis’ thing, Michael? Really curious to hear how they responded . . . .

Cheers!

Harris, have you had any Sea Smoke wines? I understand that you want feedback on this specific vintage, but I think being familiar with their style in general is the most important information in deciding whether or not to purchase.

Larry,
I did contact them via email, they said there was no botella available.

I had a friend open a Sea Smoke PN a year of so ago, it was very good. Don’t remember the year though…

Larry,

I did not call the winery. Might be my bad for not asking why they would send a free bottle to people that have not bought in 5-6 vintages and not send anything to current mailing list customers. I know the Botella is limited.
I normally buy 3-4 bottles of the Ten which at $80/bottle is not cheap. I have bought the Southing as well.
I like the wines, I opened an 2007 Southing this weekend. Not the best I have had of this, but still a decent bottle.

Its up to the winery to decide how they want to try and lure past customers back, but this just rubs me the wrong way. Plenty of other options available.

none for me thanks
On the list, but no longer a buyer
(and they didn’t send me a “Gratis”)

Same boat. Find it odd that they value ex-buyer dollars more than current buyers. Awesome business model.

At $60+ per bottle, that shark has done been jumped. Loads of good stuff out there for less.

It’s strange that they don’t have an entry-level wine of modest enough production to keep regular buyers satisfied. I wonder if they’ll pull a Silver Oak and go to a nearby appellation like Santa Maria or San Luis Obispo to add a larger production, sourced fruit cuvee.

For a cult wine with a significant overall production level like SS, there probably needs to be a turning point where they shift from a savvy collector crowd to a broader audience of less informed enthusiasts. SS is already like that to an extent–it’s a clear entry point for a buyer with funds but not the experience or focus to dig into the dozens of SRH producers. Maybe sending free wine to non-customers will end up being the real turning point.

A good point…

I will also add…why not just go with Clos Pepe for your fix. Great wines with amazing aging potential…