2009 Ch. Cantemerle, Haut-Medoc [Notes on 2010 Cantemerle added 5/4/14]

I’ll cut to the chase fast: This wine is wonderful.

If you like classic Bordeaux, one that exudes class and balance even in a warm year, this is it.

Graphite, florals and hint of barn on the nose. Some smoke. Cool red fruit, crisp, with some subtle dark cherries. Meaty, dense, chewy tannins. Sweet, dusty tannic finish. A structured wine that will reward some cellaring. Enjoyable now, but this wine should reward those that are patient. Built along the same classic lines as a Lanessan, but just oh so much better all around, while both are simply tremendous buys.

Readily available around $40, this is a stellar buy in 2009 Bordeaux. I would have guessed a 2010 if served blind.
(92+ pts)

[I wonder if anyone will catch that . . . .]

Yeah, well it used to cost $17.

Got a 6L of this laying down in OWC for my sons 21st bday. Lasered the top of the lid with his likeness as a baby and put a little time capsule in the case as well to what is in the news, popular and prices of stuff. Should be fun to drink that in 2030!! Thanks for the note!!

I regret not acting sooner on this one.

The 2009, or Cantemerle in general?

I just drank a 1996 and it was excellent.

That was not the futures price of 2009 Cantemerle, at least I’m pretty sure it was closer to double that.

If I’m wrong, please nobody tell me, as I will kick myself.

I got my 2009 Cantemerle from PC for $32 early in the futures game. Given how PC’s prices for Bordeaux futures are usually the cheapest in the country (and I use wine-searcher/pro), I am not sure where the 2009 could have been offered for $17.

Been sitting outside with the last half of my bottle, enjoying another perfect cool evening in Central Florida. This wine has opened up more, and candidly, if you like young wines, this wine is fairly open right now, a creature of the vintage. Tannins are still there, but the aeration has evolved the texture of the wine, softened the edges. Lots of earth in this young wine. Amazing to get a 13% APR wine in this vintage. I detect no heat, no new oak in this wine. This is my type of Bordeaux.

No, not the 2009, but rather that was the futures price I could have paid for the 2000. Value is very different these days.

Ah, yes. I paid $18 for 2000 Cantemerle futures.

By the way, nice note Robert!

I’ve had the 09 Cantemerle once, and I liked it a lot too.

Here’s my note from 12/2013:
Inky color. Sports a restrained bouquet of sweet black currants, tar, herbs, spicy anise. Notes of jammy sur maturité appear later on the nose. To taste, lots of minerals, black tea, concentrated blueberry juice. Fleshy, good brightness for an '09, medium bodied, lots of tannins on the finish. Extract and alcohol seem balanced. Big tannins, not really ready for prime time at present despite a long decant, but drinkable now. This has potential, showing a combo of ripeness and tradition, fingers crossed this goes somewhere special with more time. It will be fun to follow where this goes when mature, does the raw fruity/tannic profile morph into a mature, complex, cedar/tobacco driven claret? 90 pts today.

The '09 is much, much better than the 2000.

Don´t trust the alc. levels printed on the label. They don´t tell the truth. No good wine of the 2009 vintage is low in alc. I think the Cantemerle is about 14% more or less.

champagne.gif Very nice update as I seem to enjoy the wines that Robert likes. Glad I have a 6-pk. I think I paid something in the $45 range on futures.

Actually looks like I paid $38

In the big french supermarket chains, whose prices on wines like these generally cannot be beat, this were around 25 Euros. I’ve seen it in many chains (also the 2010) with very stable prices. I bought quite a few of both vintages.

Local shop has the 2010 Cantemerle for $44. Buy? Strong buy?

If you like classic claret, Cantemerle is one of the ever dwindling holdouts. Sure the price may have doubled since 2000 but that is irrelevant to me, I wasn’t buying wine then. I think Cantemerle still represents good value in Bordeaux and buy it most every vintage. If you’re comfortable in this price category, I’d recommend buying a few based on my experience with the chateau (though not this vintage, which are asleep at offsite). I’ll likely check in on these in ~2020.

I bought six based on the quality of the vintage and my comfort level with his estate [and yes, Uncle Bob’s score didn’t hurt!]

I may pop one this weekend in the interest of science.

My local Total Wine has the 2006 at $39. Liked the Lanessan rec from Alfert…more storage issues here we come.

So I’m left assuming everyone got my cute reference to the esteemed 1856 classification?

[welldone.gif]

a funny little snafu, oops, we left you off the 1855 list . . . .