Heartfelt (?) Pappy Request

This arrived today via Wine-Searcher - anybody else get one?

_Hi. I am a 63 year old long time bourbon drinker who has wanted for many years to get the opportunity to sample a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle. The pricing at stores in my neighborhood of New York (Long Island) are too high to make that possible. So I am inquiring as to whether you might be able to offer me the opportunity to purchase a bottle at a price that won’t require me to take a second mortgage on my house. I would like to try the 20 or 12 YO because the 107 proof stuff is stronger than I am used to drinking but I am flexible.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and have a happy and healthy holiday season.
_

I got the same thing. I wonder how many businesses he sent this message to. The funny thing is, if he had really wanted to try these for many years, he easily would have been able to in the past. Unless “many” now means 2 or 3, that part is obviously not true.

I’ve seen this message before, maybe on here, not sure. Wonder how legit it is?

Everyone gets this message.

I used to buy Pappy 20 for $97. This wasn’t that many years ago. Real Stizel-Weller which is getting rare now thus the price. If he wanted to try it, he had an opportunity at his age especially if he is a long term Bourbon drinker.

That shows how heartfelt it is!

Hey, I got that email too but not through winesearcher. I thought I was special. neener

[Revising my Pappy request letter as I read this thread]

Bruce

Hey Richard - we got one too…went into the ‘Pappy’ file

This whole thing is bizarre to me. I’ve had Pappy a few times (never from my own bottle). I like it, but not nearly enough to justify this kind of antic…

This “antic” is someone looking for an idiot to exploit. They’ll buy low and sell high.

+1. About a dozen years ago when Pappy 20 was all Stitzel-Weller it really was wonderful whiskey. The last few years the whiskey is quite good but nothing special. A serious Bourbon-drinking customer of mine did a blind tasting of four good Bourbons with some like-minded friends and nobody ranked it first.

As a consumer I was able to get a few bottles three years ago (before the WA state liquor privatized- which sucked from the perspective that it went from a more fair communist type system to pure capitalism).

I had an un-opened bottle of the 20 left and was debating cashing on on the ridiculous auction pricing- but friends are more important and I opened it last week.