Say "GOODBYE' to coravin capsules

It’s time to supersize!!!

That should last a bit. Wonder how much a tank will go for?

1 Like

Its a small oxygen medical cylinder, 2.2 cubic feet. Used tank $30.00 to 40.00. Cga 580 valve $25.00 . UHP argon $40.00 to fill.
Holds about 40 cartridges . Same size as wine bottle, couple inches taller.

Looks awesome!

Knowing myself I’d find a way to blow up my kitchen with this thing

1 Like

John - How did you make the connection from the hose to the Coravin device itself?

I machined a tube to the same specs as a cartridge. Machined a quick release on the hose side. 3d printed a handle.

At least the crime scene would be preserved.

1 Like

Would you please post the technical specs, especially for the connection and quick release, before the letter from Coravin’s attorney arrives? Thanks.

Thanks John. I’ve seen these commercially available but for a price that I consider a bit rough. The hard part has always been the connection to the Coravin itself - that’s what made me interested when you pegged the price at $65. You, though, have a much better complement of tooling than do I to make that reality. Well done.

I have a Provisional Patent on the adapter. AS for the attorneys. I made a accessory for their device. I did not change or modify their product.
Much like auto acessory’s. Bolt on wheels, exhaust. The technical specs cost me time and money. I willing to sell whatever you need. I field
tested the device for 2 years and are rock solid. Everything is lead free and/or food grade materials.

I love the 3d printed handle

Cool. So when/how can we get these parts?

Cool. So when/how can we get these parts? Seriously!

This is one way!!!

Bravo

Interesting. Always though it would be interesting to experiment with jamming my TIG back purge hose down into a half drunk bottle before recorking to see if that was effective “enough” for a couple day hiatus. Seeing that you specify UHP argon, i went and checked the difference between it and industrial quality. Discounting the sterility of the container/regulator, the difference is 20 thousanths of a percentage (99.997 vs 99.999%) in favor of the UHP gas itself. Other elemental inclusions are higher by a few PPM according to 1 local supplier. What does Coravin supply in thier cartidges?

I can see this being super hand for those Napa wine bars that run a fleet of coravins. 40-60 bottle sample menu and at least %50 are coravin only.

I believe they are manufactured by ISI in Austria.
From their web site.

Not all Argon Gas
is Born Equal.

Coravin Gas Capsules go beyond the Highest Quality Standards.

Ultra-Pure Argon Gas
Filled with 99.99% argon gas, Coravin Capsules will preserve the life and flavor of your wine like no other capsule. There is no reaction with the wine, no effect on the flavor profile. Just the perfect pour every time.

Patented Cap & Seal Technology
Never worry about gas leakage or flavor changes. Our patented technology ensures that no argon escapes, and that nothing will spoil the taste of your wine, even after many years.

Highest Manufacturing Standards
Specifically made in Austria, Coravin Capsules are produced with the latest manufacturing processes and deep cleaning techniques that exceed food-grade standards.

Multi-Glass Capacity
With the power to pour up to 15 glasses of wine, one capsule goes a long way in extending your wine experience from bottle to bottle.

JinF -“Interesting. Always though it would be interesting to experiment with jamming my TIG back purge hose down into a half drunk bottle before recorking to see if that was effective “enough” for a couple day hiatus.”

The device I used to make (and still use) does essentifally that, and I’ve spoken to at least one Winery owner who does what you’re suggesting in his tasting room. As with many other things the success rate depends on the Wine and who is drinking it.

Because the bottle has been opened, and if it is allowed to sit any length of time before argon is injected, this method is not the best compared to Coravin. I’d venture, though, that it IS good enough for the vast majority of people. Maybe not a vast majority of those on these boards however. IMHO the same would be true if the difference between industrial and food grade argon.

You are correct!!! Peter
The difference in price between industrial and food grade is very nominal, 15 to 20 dollars a cylinder. Finding it is a little harder. Some of the
gas company’s want to sell certified argon as food grade, beware is very pricey, just for some paper work.

I used to use Air Liquide. Got it through a welding supply place which ordered it for me. The real difference, AFIK, is ‘provinance’. The food grade came with the top wrapped securely and Aiir Liquide told me it was to certify that nothing else had been in that cylinder.