Recommended retail store in or around Seattle, WA

I will be making a trip to Seattle next week and am interested in visiting some cool wine shops. It would be awesome to visit a place that has some nice Washington gems that can’t be found (or are hard to find) on the East Coast (NY tri-State).

If anybody has specific recommendations on bottles then please feel free to mention them. I am open to trying all types of new and different wines but my current favorites are: Burgundy (Pinots and Chard), red blends, and Riesling (Mosel, dry and sweet). A Washington sparkler would also be a nice pick. I’ll be meeting up with family friends that I haven’t seen in a while and it would be cool to pop that open with them.
champagne.gif
I am a big Burgundy and Champagne fan but I’d like emphasize that I want to buy single bottles that are <=$40.

Locals will likely chime in too.

Pike & Western is easy if you’re already planning a visit to the Pike Place Market

Esquin just south of downtown with plenty of street parking

Mccarthy & Schiering, 2 locations

Which ones did you find worthy visiting?

I ended up only going to Esquin since it was on the way from the airport to my friend’s house. I actually didn’t end up buying any local wines there. My gut instinct was to just buy some Burgundy as a gift since that is what I know best.

Overall a very good store but the prices were a bit of a turn off.

Welcome to retail wine pricing in the state of Washingtion… [soap.gif]

Crud. I wish I would’ve seen this before your trip. Given that you’re a Burg and Champagne nut, I would’ve steered you to the place near where I live: University Wines. It sounds like it was a bit out of your way, but it’s a real gem if those are your wine preferences. Check 'em out: http://uwineseattle.com/ I have zero affiliation other than I really like this place and it’s in my 'hood.

Any place in Seattle with Madeira?

Sorry, Andy, I’m sure there are stores that have more than plonk Madeira, but I’m not sure which.

I’ve seen the RWC’s Historic Series madeira at Pike & Western. I don’t know if there are better places, as I’m not a madeira shopper.

+1 to both Pike and McCarthy and Schiering. Esquin is good too but prices are high.

Champion Wine Cellars up in Greenlake is great, but their prices can also be a bit high at times.

Wine Outlet in Interbay is good too, with pretty good prices, though they have a totally random assortment.

Belated +1:

Downtown Spirits

So, Brandon… University Wines used to be La Cantina (?). I stopped there regularly when I lived in Seattle (Wedgwood; early-mid 90s). A small but very good shop. The nearby Safeway (U Village) had a pretty decent wine section in those days as well.