2016 Bordeaux futures pricing

Keen for forum member thoughts.

I requested large format pricing for Sauternes for 3 estates and they inquired directly with the Chateau and came back with recommendations on a purchase (Rayne Vigneau). The subsequent pricing has raised my eye brows in two ways. Not sure if I am overreacting again or there are more red flags dealing with this retailer.

1. the large format pricing is at a significant premium to 750ml. For example Rayne Vigneau can be purchased for $50/bottle but an imperial is $600 (which I think implies $75/bottle assuming 6L).
  2. Rayne Vigneau, on their direct website, offers the 2016 vintage at a special offer price below USD $40/bottle. This is on a French language website and may only be there in France.

But I wonder if the actual pricing to the retailer is much lower per 750ml due to some estate special offer and the cost of the large format shouldn’t be at a premium.

But perhaps a special order large format does result in premium pricing, even if a future?

Some of the 2016s offered in 6L have almost no premium over 750ml pricing, but I suspect a special order would have a substantial premium.

JJ Buckley is selling 6L bottles of 2016 Climens, Rieussec and Suduiraut all around $600. There’s certainly no reason to buy Rayne Vigneau for a similar price.