Styro shippers vs Cardboard

I am looking for feedback on the use of styrofoam shippers vs. cardboard.

Criteria being cost and protection of product being shipped, what is your experience?

cardboard

In 17+ years of shipping we’ve only have temp issues or broken bottles with laydown pulp, never with stryo and it’s better insulation. The styro is a little higher cost but it’s worth it not having to replace bottles. There are places that will recycle styro

product cost, shipping cost to me, storage space are main issues with styro

been using pulp lately. wrapping with foam sheets

Does anyone take into consideration recyclability and what the customer prefers?

As a customer I prefer to see pulp. I am trying to convince the owners of my stores to switch to pulp, but they are skeptical to say the least.

This consumer prefers recyclable shippers, styro adds to our growing environmental problems.

This one as well.

I’m seriously considering dropping some direct-to-consumer buys because their third party guys strictly use styro.

Would you drop Bedrock?

Compostable or recyclable should be the only choice.

I’m surprised that they of all wineries that I deal with, continue to allow their shipper to use styro. Yes I would if an alternative material isn’t offered.

You might want to read this

Extremely satisfied that Bedrock’s shipper finally did the right thing … [cheers.gif]

I pointed this out in a thread on the epicurean page, but I got a cool alternative from D’Artagnan a couple weeks ago in the form of a compostable styro-like corn based material. it insulated well enough to keep frozen stuff frozen, provided protection, and came with a whole list of ways it can be used or broken down.

I prefer cardboard. I have never had a bottle damaged with either.

As a consumer I prefer the cardboard/pulp ones. We compost them or use them as fire starter kindling.

7 years of wine clubs and almost every shipment has been cardboard and no broken bottles. Only exception is if there’s a heat wave, I usually get a styro with cold pack and I don’t mind that. We reuse the cold packs and can recycle styrofoam here so that’s no big deal. But for reuse, you can’t beat the cardboard.

Cardboard, easier on the environment and disposal

Cardboard, mostly because of the storage and the environment. Besides that we have found isolation packs totally made from recycled paper there we put the bottles in for temperature control and extra protection.

I also prefer fiber for all of the reasons previously stated. I do get the occasional Styrofoam container with the cold packs which I don’t mind as an exception to the rule. To date, I’ve been throwing the Styrofoam containers away but I understand some transfer stations will actually recycle them. Trying to find out if my local transfer station offers this recycling service. That would be a pleasant discovery.