Vine Vault - Austin, beware

I hired Vine Vault to pick up eight cases from two auctions on the East Coast. And all along discussed eight cases with their Austin rep, Malon Lemoins. I also sent them copies of my invoices. But since two of the cases were packaged 2 x 6, I was charged for 10 “boxes”. Each box of six bottles was charged as much as to ship as a full case of twelve. These lots were each 12 bottles of a single wine, in other words, not mixed wines or lots. This seems deceptive to me. Had I known this would happen, I would have asked the vendor to repackage. Or simply would have chosen another vendor for shipping.

When I brought this up with Vine Vault, they took weeks to get back to me and refused to credit my account. Their reply e-mail says it’s a “weight and space” issue, which makes no sense as 2 x 6 and 1 x 12 weigh the same and take up the same amount of space.

Though timely communication was lacking, they did deliver my wine in a refrigerated truck. Just want everyone to be aware to repackage their wine into full cases before shippping with them.

Did they ship your wine to you via a common carrier (FedE, UPS) or did they use their own transportation network?

If the latter, what you described is fairly standard with most storage facilities. Storage facilities usually charge per box for transportation to and from their facility. Whether that’s a full 12 bottle case or a wooden 6-pack or even a partly filled case, the cost is usually the same. Perhaps they didn’t fully explain that you up front, and if so, that’s problematic and unfortunate, as is their delayed reply to your inquiry.

clearly should have known and/or been made aware beforehand. I always get charged by the piece on consolidated shipments.

what would happen if you taped together two 12 bottle cases to make one?

Sounds like a miscommunication. I’ve shipped Aton of wine with them and not only have they been 100% reliable in terms of getting me the wine safely refrigerated door to door…they have in fact consolidated my orders so that I was charged at a 12 bottle or 6 magnum rate. Had another issue with some lay flat storage boxes I purchased and they more than made made it right. I’d speak to Elton or Charlie Sanders and I think you could rectify your issue