What do you say to a customer who...

Complains that he was “humiliated” by a bad bottle of expensive Brunello at a tasting dinner?

When asked “Was it corked? We’ll replace it no problem.” his answer was “How should I know? Your employee must not have any training if he sold me a corked bottle…”

When asked if it was a style thing and trying to explain that there were differing camps of both winemaking and criticism thereof which could explain why, for instance, Soldera might not please folks used to Banfi or Argiano he insisted that there was an absolute standard to which all wines should adhere…

To some extent he is right that there is a quality that all producers should adhere to but it doesn’t seem like he makes the distinction between poor quality and different styles.

The part about how we might KNOW a bottle was corked and sell it to him anyway with a big recommendation was was stunned me: A) How could we know? B) What would be the advantage?

yeah i was gonna continue but was on the phone when I replied. I assume he had no clue there are differing palates in wine if he would say you guys aren’t trained enough to notice corked wines.

Sounds like you over explained the possible problem.
“Sorry about your awful experience. It sounds like you had a corked bottle. It happens almost 10% of the time. Darn shame nobody can tell without opening the wine. Bring the bottle in and we’ll refund the price. Next time, pull the cork before you get to the party, just to be safe.”

He was the one who started in with “All the other guys had 95-100 point wines…” and I asked “Scored by whom? Italian and American critics often have VERY different ideas on what is a great Brunello…” That’s when he started with the “absolute standard” part…

Why explain anything to someone like that? He’s an idiot. Treat him as such - say innocuous things in soothing tones while backing away.

Well, he was expressing himself quite loudly in front of other customers…

Tranquilizer gun. Always keep one handy.

That’s when you give him the ‘inside tip’ about subscribing to Ebob. He’ll be much happier hanging out there…

I’ve had situations like that where someone is factually wrong on all accounts and rails up and down because you disagree with their ‘facts’ and how unprofessional you are for trying to correct them, no matter how politely you do it and despite your best intentions of spreading a little knowledge around, and then they leave proclaiming your ignorance in the wine profession (it reminds me of why I got out of teaching…). The instant you feel crappy, inevitably a good customer that was in the store during the tirade comes over and says 'God, what a f*#kwad", and all is well again.

I thought I remembered this article and Google found it:

Wine Spectator Grand Award Winner Has New Machine to Detect Cork Taint
Sampling from air around the cork and foil, Restaurant Latour’s machine can tell if highly prized wines are cork-damaged
James Molesworth
Posted: July 26, 2007

I have no idea what ever happened to this device, but the idea is definitely interesting.

Roberto–I guess I’m unclear what the customer meant when he said the bottle was “bad”–was it corked, was it not to his preferences stylistically, was it too obscure to compete with the scored/reviewed wines?

Bruce

He couldn’t really articulate that and got very blustery when I started asking specific questions to find out.

Off to VinItaly to find more unscored but delish wines in an hour…

You’re only going to be there an hour? [wow.gif]

@Matthew - yup, the good customers make it all worthwhile… [cheers.gif]

@Peter - I always start off with “I’m sorry about your bad experience…” too. Seems to smooth the ruffled feathers a bit.

I don’t understand why customers (in any kind of a retail shop) think that tantrums will change the past. Channeling their “inner child”, I think.

I suspect that for some retail customers, when they throw a hissy fit they often get what they want. The retailer doesn’t want a dissatisfied customer, and especially doesn’t want a scene. I think that’s when the retailer needs to act the part of the adult and let the customer thrown his/her tantrum. Trust me, as a customer/bystander, I can quickly tell when my fellow customers are being unreasonable and throwing a fit to try to bully the retailer…

Bruce

Agreed. I am very customer service oriented, and because of that I have many loyal buyers. The managers at my store will do whatever the customer wants (1) to pacify them and (2) to prevent a negative feedback email sent to the corporate office. Because I work at a large retail chain, these kinds of events are a tiny fraction of the Cost of Doing Business.

If you took out a gun and shot just one of these annoying customers, word would get around and they’d be better behaved. [snort.gif]

Just one I think would be looked upon as an unfortunate accident. I think that you would have to drill at least two to really get the word out [snort.gif]

From someone who has sold wine in a high end steakhouse in a ultra conservative ( cheap ) town, I have had a handful of situations very similar to that. Its been my finding that even a “perfect” bottle of wine can be sent back by a patron who is looking for something free. And in true scumbag fashion, he would then blame one of your employees for their “lack” of knowledge. Someone who truly understands what a corked bottle looks and tastes like should be able to accurately describe what his or her concern is. Sounds like you got that “guy”. Luckily we are in a industry where that “guy” is in the minority!