What Cigar or Pipe Are You Smoking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Kelly Walker

Re: Cigars - UnOfficial thread

#251 Post by Kelly Walker » December 11th, 2019, 9:29 pm

I am really surprised the smoking nazis have not chimed in on this thread. The “you’re an idiot for smoking no less drinking wine while doing so” people. Usually in a passive aggressive “I could never appreciate let alone taste a wine if smoking” though likely does not smoke cigars to begin with (rant over).

I have smoked cigars for over 30 years. Usually 1 a day. Something I love as much as wine.
What Kevin Shin said.

Rick Smith

#252 Post by Rick Smith » December 12th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Love sitting out on the deck and enjoying a cigar with no one around (get off my lawn!).

I have always been a fan of Sosa cigars, and pick up a box each year on one of my trips to Orlando. Smoked more than a few Rocky Patel 1990s over the last few years, and one of my go to cigars. I am lucky to have a J&R close for humidor-defenders.

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#253 Post by Phil Smith » December 12th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 7:55 pm
Almost a month late and with back orders, part of our God of Fire Opus X cigars arrived today. We got one Opus 22 Heaven and Earth, a fair number of the Opus X Story, Forbidden X/travel humidors and one ten count Forbidden Purple Rain Maduro travel humidor, which sold in an hour. The packaging was commensurate with cost/price.
opus22.jpg
forbidden.jpg
purplerain.jpg
Those Purple Rain are beautiful... too bad they'll be $100/stick here.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Re: What Cigar or Pipe Are You Smoking?

#254 Post by Todd F r e n c h » December 12th, 2019, 4:36 pm

merging
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

GregP

#255 Post by GregP » December 12th, 2019, 10:26 pm

Punch Bareknuckle Toro tonight, along with 2012 Carlisle Monte Rosso Zin. Used to smoke Punch Pitas back in mid '90s and decided to revisit having abstained from General/Altadis offerings since with proliferation of small guys. Meh, nothing special. As some would call it a "dog walking cigar", and nothing more.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#256 Post by Phil Smith » December 13th, 2019, 10:31 am

Phil Smith wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 3:48 pm
Randy Bowman wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 7:55 pm
Almost a month late and with back orders, part of our God of Fire Opus X cigars arrived today. We got one Opus 22 Heaven and Earth, a fair number of the Opus X Story, Forbidden X/travel humidors and one ten count Forbidden Purple Rain Maduro travel humidor, which sold in an hour. The packaging was commensurate with cost/price.
opus22.jpg
forbidden.jpg
purplerain.jpg
Those Purple Rain are beautiful... too bad they'll be $100/stick here.
Yep, all of these were $100/stick for me. Easy pass.

Jason Hagen

#257 Post by Jason Hagen » December 13th, 2019, 10:36 am

Yikes!

Jason Hagen

#258 Post by Jason Hagen » December 13th, 2019, 12:01 pm

Trying to clear out some "aged" cigars from the humi. I have singles left of a bunch of cigars I have enjoyed in the past and it has been hit and miss.

Tatuaje Black Corona Gorda Nicaragua - This originally was a 1 off but if I understand correctly is now part of the Tatuaje regular production. This stick is about 4 years old but has faded significantly. Rather dull and a bit soapy. All the leather and chocolate are blanketed. Oh well, I think it was only around 6 bucks at the time. [bleh.gif]

Next up is an Alec Bradley Black Market that has been sitting in there for 10 years. Then I will move on to something new.

Jason
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_6ea.jpeg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#259 Post by Randy Bowman » December 13th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Planned on enjoying one of my favorites, A J Fernandez Last Call but for the first time since they were released, I had one that stove piped.
20191213_143411.jpg
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#260 Post by Randy Bowman » December 13th, 2019, 2:48 pm

This is the one I had last week.
20191109_110156.jpg
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Jason Hagen

#261 Post by Jason Hagen » December 13th, 2019, 3:02 pm

Nice. I haven't tried the Last Call but it seems like a hell of a deal. Thoughts?

J

Jason Hagen

#262 Post by Jason Hagen » December 13th, 2019, 3:03 pm

Oh... I see you already commented.

J

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#263 Post by Randy Bowman » December 13th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Jason, the cigar's round pressed and rock hard. Slow smoker that is packed with flavor. The companion Maduro version is really good too. Here's a picture of my back stock for two weeks.
20191213_161653.jpg

GregP

#264 Post by GregP » December 13th, 2019, 5:09 pm

Jason, you're scaring me since I have a good number of 10-16 year old Tatuajes of all sorts. Seems I need to pull a few and see how they are doing.

Jason Hagen

#265 Post by Jason Hagen » December 13th, 2019, 5:46 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 4:19 pm
Jason, the cigar's round pressed and rock hard. Slow smoker that is packed with flavor. The companion Maduro version is really good too. Here's a picture of my back stock for two weeks.
20191213_161653.jpg
Nice. I have bought anything since May so in January I'll be looking to make a small restock. I'll hit you up for a care package.

Jason

Jason Hagen

#266 Post by Jason Hagen » December 13th, 2019, 5:59 pm

GregP wrote:
December 13th, 2019, 5:09 pm
Jason, you're scaring me since I have a good number of 10-16 year old Tatuajes of all sorts. Seems I need to pull a few and see how they are doing.
Yeah I still have some more older Tatuajes so I am hoping this was just in a bad place or this stick just was better young. I did move up another Tatuaje to the top shelf that has about 7 years on it. Not sure what line it is because the top part of the ring is gone.

But I'd love the hear how those are doing at over a decade.

Jason

Jason Hagen

#267 Post by Jason Hagen » December 14th, 2019, 10:53 am

Diesel - Unholy Cocktail (torpedo) Purchased in 2019. Cost with shipping was $3.85 flirtysmile
Great construction. Burns perfect. Full-bodied. Dark chocolate, leather and bit of dark cherries. Great smoke. Lasting pleasant finish. Really kicks in after the first quarter is done. 50 - 60 minute smoke. A-

Jason
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_6eb.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_6ec.jpeg

Jason Hagen

#268 Post by Jason Hagen » December 16th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Long Live The King - another A.J. Fernendez cigar $14

Nice looking cigar. Well made. The draw is so easy, maybe too easy. Medium-bodied. Earth/woody flavors finishing with a touch of chocolate. A very pleasant easy smoke. B+

Jason
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_6f3.jpeg

Jason Hagen

#269 Post by Jason Hagen » December 18th, 2019, 10:50 am

Godmother by Graycliff Made exclusively for a local store/lounge.
Great looking cigar. Easy draw. Light/Medium bodied. At first this cigar was underwhelming but about half with through it was awesome. A real pleasure. Dark rich flavors. - A

Arturo Fuente Don Carlos #2
Wow. Easily my cigar of the year. A terrific smoke from start to finish. The draw has just a little bit of resistance. Medium/full bodied. Dark chocolate, oak and leather. The layer that puts this cigar above so many others is the spice. Like opening a spice cabinet that also has a bunch of oranges inside. flirtysmile A+

Jason
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_6f5.jpeg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#270 Post by Randy Bowman » December 19th, 2019, 8:42 pm

Cigars I don't get to have are the 2019 God of Fire Opus X release. Obviously pricey with travel humidors, leather covers and booklets, the BBMF Maduros and Purple Rain boxes were sold before I got them out of the shipping container. The Opus 22 and three Opus 6 are already on hold. The cheap stuff, Forbidden X travel humidors and cigars, $180.00, haven't got the attention of anybody yet.
purplerain1.jpg
opus22.jpg
purplerain1.jpg
Attachments
purplerain.jpg

Jason Hagen

#271 Post by Jason Hagen » December 19th, 2019, 9:15 pm

CA's cigar of the year. A. J. Fernandez is everywhere.

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/top25ci ... wsource=cl

Jason

Jason Hagen

#272 Post by Jason Hagen » December 19th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 8:42 pm
The cheap stuff, Forbidden X travel humidors and cigars, $180.00, haven't got the attention of anybody yet.
How many cigars is that?

Jason

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#273 Post by Randy Bowman » December 20th, 2019, 8:36 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 9:18 pm
Randy Bowman wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 8:42 pm
The cheap stuff, Forbidden X travel humidors and cigars, $180.00, haven't got the attention of anybody yet.
How many cigars is that?

Jason
The Forbidden X travel humidors have four cigars, three different sizes with suede cover. I do have a little wiggle room if you can't find them close to you and have to pay shipping.
opusf.jpg
Attachments
opusxforbidden.jpg

Jason Hagen

#274 Post by Jason Hagen » December 24th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Merry Christmas everyone!

I got this nasty cold that turned into a cough so it has been a week since I have been able to enjoy anything. Hoping to light something up on Thursday.

Peace,

Jason

Jason Hagen

#275 Post by Jason Hagen » December 25th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Broke my head cold imposed cigar fast with a smaller stick at Christmas while cooking a prime rib.

Tatuaje Havana VI Angeles - Petite Corona 4.6 X 42
The draw is a little tougher than I prefer but not a problem. Basic flavors. Med/Full-bodied with a strong flavor. Earthy and leathery. Decent smoke although simple. Midway through, the heat starts to build. B-

Peace,

Jason
Attachments
IMG_1578.JPG

GregP

#276 Post by GregP » December 25th, 2019, 10:31 pm

Jason, from your descriptions seems the blend went through changes. Angeles used to be easily one of the best small sticks around, for pretty much all, a bunch of us in Bay Area cigar group bought them by the box. I think I have a few from the first few years of release stashed away and now need to see what's going on with Tats lately. Had same exact issue with Liga Privada No. 9s, first 2-3 years were seriously good, then the blend had to change since nothing I bought in recent years tastes same as before. I guess when you expand production and small farms you used before cannot supply larger quantities it eventually catches up to you. Same as wine.

Jason Hagen

#277 Post by Jason Hagen » December 26th, 2019, 12:54 pm

GregP wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 10:31 pm
Jason, from your descriptions seems the blend went through changes. Angeles used to be easily one of the best small sticks around, for pretty much all, a bunch of us in Bay Area cigar group bought them by the box. I think I have a few from the first few years of release stashed away and now need to see what's going on with Tats lately. Had same exact issue with Liga Privada No. 9s, first 2-3 years were seriously good, then the blend had to change since nothing I bought in recent years tastes same as before. I guess when you expand production and small farms you used before cannot supply larger quantities it eventually catches up to you. Same as wine.
Yeah, that goes for food, beer, wine & etc. For me, I took a break from Alec Bradley. It seemed like growing pains after winning "Cigar of the Year".

Please fill me in on what you find as you revisit some Tats.

Jason

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#278 Post by Randy Bowman » December 26th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Had a bit of a disappointment yesterday. I tried a Fuente Fuente Opus X "The Lost City." The back story is the Fuentes planted a field of tobacco plants in the off season so Andy Garcia could film his movie "The Lost City" using the plants as a backdrop for some of the important scenes. It was decided the tobacco, when harvested would be used for cigars dedicated to the movie and proceeds to go to Fuente's charitable foundations. The cigar is beautiful. The draw and burn impeccable. The flavors did not reach my expectations and was bitey. They are aged for 5 years but probably need 10 to settle. Pepper was most prominent with some cedar notes and maybe a little earth. The flavors remained the same throughout the cigar as did the bite. I may have been ruined by the Fuente Fuente 20th Anniversary cigars. They were all that and a bag of chips.

Jason Hagen

#279 Post by Jason Hagen » December 27th, 2019, 2:01 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
December 26th, 2019, 7:37 pm
They are aged for 5 years but probably need 10 to settle.
So do you think time in the humi will sort that bit out?

Jason

Jason Hagen

#280 Post by Jason Hagen » December 27th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Arturo Fuente Hemingway - Short Story Purchased in 2016
Short Story is a fantastic cigar. It actually smokes longer than one might expect. I usually plan for it to be a 25-30 minute smoke but it can easily go longer. This one was slightly hot but otherwise just a yummy pleasure. Great draw and taste. The finish gets a slight knockdown because of the heat. This was actually my last one but I will watch for specials and re-stock.

Best,

Jason
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_6f7.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_6f6.jpeg

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#281 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » December 27th, 2019, 2:15 pm

I used to smoke cigars but gave it up 15 years ago. Can you legally buy Cubans these days. Fond memories of Padron, Fuentes, and some killer Cubans while working in London.

Jason Hagen

#282 Post by Jason Hagen » December 27th, 2019, 2:53 pm

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 2:15 pm
I used to smoke cigars but gave it up 15 years ago. Can you legally buy Cubans these days. Fond memories of Padron, Fuentes, and some killer Cubans while working in London.
When living in London in the 90s is when I got hooked (convinced) on Cubans (lots of Romeo y Julietas, Partagas, and Cohibas) but in the U.S. you cannot buy them legally. You can order from Switzerland, for authentics, but it is not legal and you will on some occasions get a letter. The orders do end up getting fulfilled but I have stopped. Many stores in the U.S. have the secret drawer but you really need to check if they are authentic. And there are many fantastic non cuban cigars. Like wine there are flashes in the pan but I think the quality is amazing with many new cigar producers. Cigars liked Warped and etc. And old houses like Arturo Fuentes are amazing. The Fuentes Don Carlos at $11 are world-class. I am also fond of Diesel which at sub $4.00 are a joy. Non cuban Padrons are incredible but more pricey. Davidoffs can be crazy good but very pricey and I am thoroughly bummed when I am underwhelmed by some of them.

IMHO

Jason

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#283 Post by Randy Bowman » December 27th, 2019, 4:20 pm

Fuente Anejo extra, extra aged. It's been in the humidor for six years. Coffee and cocoa are intertwined with some earthy notes, a touch of cedar and even a little vanilla. Like smoking an iced Mocha.
20191227_162103.jpg

F.Daner

#284 Post by F.Daner » December 28th, 2019, 6:58 am

Olivia V #2. Love this size and the robusto

For the College playoffs today when finished with wine: My Fathers Le Bijou 1922 Torpedo. Afficiando gave it Cigar of the year in 2015. We'll see how good it is and post back.
Fred

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#285 Post by Randy Bowman » December 30th, 2019, 6:07 pm

Flor de Las Antillas sun grown robusto. Box pressed. Classified as full bodied, it is so smooth you'd think it is medium strength. Hints of black pepper, cedar and cinnamon. Beautiful cigar. When it gets too short to hold in my fingers I will stuff it in my pipe and smoke it all.

GregP

#286 Post by GregP » January 5th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
December 26th, 2019, 12:54 pm
GregP wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 10:31 pm
Yeah, that goes for food, beer, wine & etc. For me, I took a break from Alec Bradley. It seemed like growing pains after winning "Cigar of the Year".

Please fill me in on what you find as you revisit some Tats.

Jason
Pulled out a 10 year old Tat Capa Especial. IMO, its in a perfect place right now, the only thing "missing", so to speak, is the usual for any DPG hit of pepper spice up front (first inch or so). Actually, almost like a very fine sprinkling of white pepper dust on the tongue, and no more, very subtle. But, the usual flavors of dark cherry and walnuts come through very nicely, a very balanced and very nuanced flavor gamma to my palate. And a bit of that white pepper now in the last 2-3 inches as well. But the finish is very long and clean with plenty of flavor. Last third of the cigar is really great.

All of my stash has been aged in a home made Igloodor, since mid '90s, and home made humidifiers, actually flower pot bricks soaked with 50/50 PG and water solution. Have 2 such bricks in a 150Gal Igloodor. Have 10-15 boxes in it, on average, and all the cigars seem in good shape so far.

ChrisW

#287 Post by ChrisW » January 9th, 2020, 5:54 pm

Rick Smith wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 2:30 pm
Love sitting out on the deck and enjoying a cigar with no one around (get off my lawn!).

I have always been a fan of Sosa cigars, and pick up a box each year on one of my trips to Orlando. Smoked more than a few Rocky Patel 1990s over the last few years, and one of my go to cigars. I am lucky to have a J&R close for humidor-defenders.
RP 90s are a gift from above. The Hemingway short story isn't too far behind.
<@ru@n@

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#288 Post by Randy Bowman » January 9th, 2020, 7:23 pm

Just finished a My Father Le Bijou Petite Robusto. Espresso notes, hints of chocolate with some spice to give it more kick.

GregP

#289 Post by GregP » January 9th, 2020, 9:51 pm

With the weather on the "warmer" side, 60-62F, over the past few days enjoyed daily Cubao Robustos, they are simply one of the best kept secrets in cigar world for a long time now (not that I'm complaining). Very balanced and nuanced, a bit of white pepper, nuts and darker fruit notes, on medium side of strength scale, but full flavor, and perfect draw every time (Colibri V-Cut). Smoked all to the nub. In some ways remind me of Tatuaje Brown label, and if tasted blind I'd have a hard time telling them apart. Just ordered more.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#290 Post by Randy Bowman » January 10th, 2020, 6:37 pm

Thought I would try the number one for 2018 according to C. A., the E. P. Carrillo Encore Majestic. It started out harsh and salty, then settled down after 10 minutes. Ash sticking like it is glued. Cedar notes, some white pepper and a hint of citrus a third of the way down and burning a little uneven after ashing. At half way and another ashing the cigar is burning evenly again. Woody flavors are dominant with some occasional sweetness, almost caramel like, followed by the citrus notes. These flavors remained the same to the end.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#291 Post by Randy Bowman » January 11th, 2020, 2:18 pm

Football and a Padron 1964 Exclusivo Maduro. Smooth and tasty.
padron.jpg
Last edited by Randy Bowman on January 12th, 2020, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#292 Post by Randy Bowman » January 12th, 2020, 2:47 pm

More football and a Man O War dark aged Maduro. It's scoring like Kansas City in the second and third quarter. Nice smooth smoke with coffee notes accenting the earthy core of cedar, nuts and tobacco.
manowar.jpg
Last edited by Randy Bowman on January 12th, 2020, 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ed Murray
GCC Member
GCC Member

#293 Post by Ed Murray » January 12th, 2020, 2:58 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 2:18 pm
Football and a Padron 1964 Exclusivo Maduro. Smooth and tasty.

20200111_141051.jpg
oooh... now that's a nice one! flirtysmile
It's not the event, it's the reaction to the event!

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#294 Post by Randy Bowman » January 13th, 2020, 4:35 pm

Today's smoke, a My Father La Promesa. Starts out with wood and white pepper. They tone down in the first half inch and are joined by notes of leather and hints of cocoa. The burn is slow and even. Catching some sweetness off and on as the flavors reach a beautiful balance. It's classified as pretty strong but I would call it full flavored medium. Great smoke.
20200113_161355.jpg

GregP

#295 Post by GregP » January 13th, 2020, 5:01 pm

Diesel Uncut yesterday, late afternoon, outside. Not sure why, but so far I have yet to smoke a Diesel that makes an impression on me, pretty much all of them are on the simple wood and pepper notes, no complexity/nuance. Great construction and draw, sure, just no flavor. And this goes back to the original splash they made, years ago. In colder weather, outside while browsing the interwebs, they are just a "smoke" to me and not much more.

Should "warm up" here by Thu, will try some other Diesel.

GregP

#296 Post by GregP » January 13th, 2020, 5:04 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 4:35 pm
Today's smoke, a My Father La Promesa. Starts out with wood and white pepper. They tone down in the first half inch and are joined by notes of leather and hints of cocoa. The burn is slow and even. Catching some sweetness off and on as the flavors reach a beautiful balance. It's classified as pretty strong but I would call it full flavored medium. Great smoke.

20200113_161355.jpg
Randy, curious to find out with your shop being in CA, is that a smoking lounge inside your shop in your pictures? Or your house? And come warmer weather days at some point, do you allow smoking on your shop's patio?

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#297 Post by Randy Bowman » January 13th, 2020, 5:08 pm

Greg, we have a self contained smoking lounge in the store and I put tables and chairs on the patio in good weather where people can smoke and have wine.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#298 Post by Randy Bowman » January 13th, 2020, 5:10 pm

Not going to waste any of this La Promesa cigar.
20200113_170355.jpg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#299 Post by Randy Bowman » January 14th, 2020, 6:05 pm

Two good days in a row with an Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Personal Blend this afternoon. Starts out smooth with notes of caramel and pepper. Burn is even and the ash is dense. About a quarter of the way down there is now some wood, vanilla and occasional nuttiness. At the half way mark, the pepper is less noticeable and flavors remain the same until the cigar is finished. Medium strength, slow burning and packed with flavor.
20200114_161804.jpg

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#300 Post by Randy Bowman » January 15th, 2020, 5:45 pm

The weather most be keeping the rest of you from enjoying a cigar. Something I hadn't tried yet an Arturo Fuente Rosado Gran Reserva Magnum 52. Starts out with sweet nuttiness and held In check by pepper notes. By one third, the ash is still firmly attached to the cigar. Pepper notes are waning and molasses or caramel notes drift in and out to accompany the nuttiness. The Cigar is about medium in strength and the flavors are rich at the half way point. The burn is a little uneven but not enough to touch up. I'll be vacuuming when I finish. The almost three inch ash just hit the floor as I reached for the ash tray. As the second third ends there is a faint citrus note added to existing caramel and nuts. That profile remains unchanged through the remainder of the cigar. That was tasty.
20200115_170947.jpg

Return to “Beer and Spirits”