Your Gin?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Your Gin?

#501 Post by K John Joseph »

Hendrick's Lunar Gin The newest offering from the Cabinet of Curiosities is, decidedly, my least favorite of the group for the moment. The Midsummer is so aggressively floral that it's also an oddball, but in a good spring/summer way and a contributor to some unique cocktails. The Orbium is both floral and bitter from the quinine and wormwood, but balanced and interesting in a gin and tonic (in my opinion). The Lunar is an odd duck for a gin, in that it is creamy. I know that sounds odd, but the soft juniper entry is followed by vanilla cream, spice, and lavender/violets. Almost a hint of vanilla chamomile tea I've got in the pantry (which I don't much love). The citrus and more herbal botanicals take a way-back seat here. A strange gin. My opinions on these things occasionally change after a few go arounds, so I'll check back in on this on the weekend. For now, though, it's not on my list of recommends.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#502 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Memorial Day was two weeks ago. G&T season is in full swing and no updates?

Paul Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#503 Post by Paul Miller »

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: June 11th, 2021, 6:49 pm Memorial Day was two weeks ago. G&T season is in full swing and no updates?
Gin for Negronis?

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#504 Post by K John Joseph »

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: June 11th, 2021, 6:49 pm Memorial Day was two weeks ago. G&T season is in full swing and no updates?
I think I've posted notes on everything I'm drinking right now, at least with any consistency. Blue Gin, Gin Mare, Roku, Ki No Bi, Botanist, Hendricks Orbium, Mil, Generous Gin, Sipsmith, Silent Pool, Monkey, Berry Bros. No. 3. I'll occasionally have a Sipsmith VJOP, Four Pillars, Glendalough, Harahorn, Bobby's Scheidam, or even an Edinburg Classic Gin, depending on the mood.

Haven't seen anything super exciting at the liquor store of late, but have to swing by tomorrow to pick up some 08 Comtes that just got delivered so I'll see what they've got.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#505 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

K John Joseph wrote: June 14th, 2021, 8:35 am
I think I've posted notes on everything I'm drinking right now, at least with any consistency. Blue Gin, Gin Mare, Roku, Ki No Bi, Botanist, Hendricks Orbium, Mil, Generous Gin, Sipsmith, Silent Pool, Monkey, Berry Bros. No. 3. I'll occasionally have a Sipsmith VJOP, Four Pillars, Glendalough, Harahorn, Bobby's Scheidam, or even an Edinburg Classic Gin, depending on the mood.

Haven't seen anything super exciting at the liquor store of late, but have to swing by tomorrow to pick up some 08 Comtes that just got delivered so I'll see what they've got.
Had the monkey in a G&T, pretty nice. I can’t take in a martini. Can’t get blue, gin mare, Roku or ki no bi in the store. I’ll try the Blue Gin in July at a restaurant.

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#506 Post by K John Joseph »

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: June 14th, 2021, 2:57 pm
K John Joseph wrote: June 14th, 2021, 8:35 am

Had the monkey in a G&T, pretty nice. I can’t take in a martini. Can’t get blue, gin mare, Roku or ki no bi in the store. I’ll try the Blue Gin in July at a restaurant.
I agree re Monkey. A gin so distinct but so powerful in flavor that it's best in a G&T. Blue Gin is a good gin in which the citrus and slightly herbaceous elements shine in a summertime gin and tonic. Would also make a good martini with a twist.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Dave McCloskey

#507 Post by Dave McCloskey »

I'm trying a new gin to me - Bertha's Revenge Small Batch Irish Gin. On the nose I'm getting solid floral and citrus notes that include grapefruit, orange peel, lemon peel, white flowers, clove and juniper. I'm also getting a big whiff of Paddy's arm pit after he played some Gaelic Football on a warm summer day. Unfortunately, I'm also getting Paddy's sweat on the palate along with floral and citrus notes. Given this gin is named after a famous bovine it's not surprising that profiles of Ciaran's barn is part and parcel of this offering.

Would I spend $41.99 for another bottle? Nope. If I want good Irish gin I'll stick with Dingle.
Last edited by Dave McCloskey on June 30th, 2021, 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#508 Post by RichardFlack »

Jay Miller wrote: March 2nd, 2021, 7:01 am Has anyone tried the Navazos Palazzi Gin? Looks interesting and there have been good reviews here for the Brandy and the Rum.
Surely not Equipo Navazos From Jerez?

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#509 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

RichardFlack wrote: June 29th, 2021, 6:36 pm
Jay Miller wrote: March 2nd, 2021, 7:01 am Has anyone tried the Navazos Palazzi Gin? Looks interesting and there have been good reviews here for the Brandy and the Rum.
Is there two?

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#510 Post by RichardFlack »

Paul Miller wrote: June 11th, 2021, 6:55 pm
Gin for Negronis?
I used to use Beefeater which is probably heresy on this thread , but for a while I’ve moved to Tanqueray 10 for a bit lighter apéritif.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#511 Post by RichardFlack »

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: June 29th, 2021, 6:41 pm
Is there two?
I’m kinda puzzled why a couple of Sherry nuts who track individual casks of the stuff would mess around with Gin. Last time I checked gin not made in barrels. Talk about loss of ficus.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#512 Post by RichardFlack »

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: June 29th, 2021, 6:41 pm
Are there two?
FIFY

Dale Bowers
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#513 Post by Dale Bowers »

dcornutt wrote: January 29th, 2021, 4:23 pm For gin and tonic, Monkey 47 is very hard to beat.
I concur. Still my go to
Cheers!

Dale Bowers
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#514 Post by Dale Bowers »

K John Joseph wrote: March 29th, 2021, 1:04 pm Reistbauer Blue Gin - Austria: Finally saw this at my favorite gin dealer, along with a refill of Silent Pool and Martin Miller's Westbourne Strength. This is surprisingly bright and crisp and is fantastic in a spring/summer gin and tonic. Bright juniper, lemon citrus, pepper, licorice and a hint of fresh green herbs. This is very complex and very smooth. Would be great on the rocks or in a martini, and makes a very refreshing gin and tonic with Fever Tree Indian and a small lime slice. Top shelf, and recommended.
Just ordered a bottle to try
Cheers!

Sanjay M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#515 Post by Sanjay M. »

Dale Bowers wrote: June 29th, 2021, 7:04 pm
K John Joseph wrote: March 29th, 2021, 1:04 pm Reistbauer Blue Gin - Austria: Finally saw this at my favorite gin dealer, along with a refill of Silent Pool and Martin Miller's Westbourne Strength. This is surprisingly bright and crisp and is fantastic in a spring/summer gin and tonic. Bright juniper, lemon citrus, pepper, licorice and a hint of fresh green herbs. This is very complex and very smooth. Would be great on the rocks or in a martini, and makes a very refreshing gin and tonic with Fever Tree Indian and a small lime slice. Top shelf, and recommended.
Just ordered a bottle to try
One of my absolute favorite gins for martinis. I haven't had it in a while; I had no problems getting it in NY but I haven't yet seen it in TX.
M_@_r_k_3_n

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#516 Post by Brandon R »

It's been mentioned in this thread a few times, but I'd never had it. I picked up a bottle of Roku Gin (Japan) and made martini (roughly 3:1 gin:vermouth, with an olive) and like it. Like some mentioned, it's a delicate gin and made a well-balanced martini. I think I prefer the Gin Mare though for the same preparation.
B. Redman

Dale Bowers
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#517 Post by Dale Bowers »

Been a big fan of Reistbauer Blue. LOVE for a G & T. Will try a martini next
Cheers!

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#518 Post by K John Joseph »

Stockholms Branneri Dry Gin - Sweden - Newish gin out of Stockholm that uses fairly typical botanicals for its dry gin (juniper, angelica root, lemon peel, coriander) and adds rosemary, elderflower, and heather. This is a decent gin, of middling complexity and smoothness, unique in part for its kick of herbaciousness from the heather and coriander, with a punchy juniper backbone. Decent in a gin and tonic with a small lime slice and fever tree indian tonic. Not a great gin, though enjoyable.

House of Elrick Dry Gin - Scotland Another relative newcomer with a claim to fame for using fresh water from Loch Ness. This comes across as a more traditional London Dry style with a big hit of juniper up front, followed by citrus and earthy notes and a hint of floral aromatics on the tail. It's pretty good, has a bit of an interesting profile, and is a nice dram. Better smoothness and complexity here than the Branneri. A more professional gin. Gin and tonic with a small lime slice and fever tree indian tonic.

Neversink Gin - Neversink Spirits - New York Gin made from apples, ala Caorunn. This actually has a bit in common with Caorunn, the solid Scottish gin, in that it's made with apple, cinnamon, juniper, angelica root, and some others. The difference here is that apple is very distinctly the star of the show and the juniper takes a seat in the way-back on the nose and palate. This is more apple and spice, with a hint of florals, citrus and warmth. Decent complexity and fairly smooth. It is interesting, and a decent change of pace. I think it's a little steeply priced for what it is, and will probably not go back to the well here. Just not the flavor profile I typically chase when buying gins.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Robert Grenley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#519 Post by Robert Grenley »

Just came to this thread and haven’t gone all the way through it yet, but if the following website has not been mentioned, I have found it very interesting:

https://theginisin.com/gin-reviews-list/

I have been preferring Tanqueray 10 with Fever Tree Indian tonic for my G&Ts (though occasionally using Jack Rudy’s tonic syrup at varying concentrations), and still going back and forth between Beefeater, Plymouth, Boodles, Sipsmith, and Tanqueray 10 for my Gibsons. We are experimenting with putting up our own cocktail onions.
I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff.
-Bob Dylan

"...what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#520 Post by K John Joseph »

Robert Grenley wrote: August 1st, 2021, 11:32 pm Just came to this thread and haven’t gone all the way through it yet, but if the following website has not been mentioned, I have found it very interesting:

I have been preferring Tanqueray 10 with Fever Tree Indian tonic for my G&Ts (though occasionally using Jack Rudy’s tonic syrup at varying concentrations), and still going back and forth between Beefeater, Plymouth, Boodles, Sipsmith, and Tanqueray 10 for my Gibsons. We are experimenting with putting up our own cocktail onions.
I like the breadth of information on that website but often disagree with their flavor wheels and ratings. I used to love love love ginfoundry.com, but I think it was either bought out or merged or expanded into Spiritsbeacon.com and a related retail outlet, spiritskiosk.com. Spiritsbeacon.com has a really great breakdown of the big gin botanicals and how they affect the taste of a gin. Their reviews used to be really great on ginfoundry as well. Now, though, they hit all sorts of spirits and it's a more global liquor oriented site. If you're looking for great gins that are hard to find at retail in the states, Spiritskiosk.com is sensational.

I actually vented on this thread about how a gin called The Gin Foundry - Europa was likely infringing on the ginfoundry.com name, as the only reason I bought the gin was the assumption that the folks at ginfoundry.com had finally decided to produce something special. The gin was preposterously heavy handed, in my opinion, and I was very disappointed. They now own theginfoundry.com domain and I'd be willing to wager there was some legal dispute between those two groups. Ginfoundry used to produce a "gin annual" which is a really lovely thick softcover book on gin trends, releases, highlights of the year in various categories, etc. It's not very expensive and has a wealth of information. I love it and tend to pick it up every year. I think Spiritskiosk is the one now putting it together.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Robert Grenley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#521 Post by Robert Grenley »

K John Joseph wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 8:00 am
Robert Grenley wrote: August 1st, 2021, 11:32 pm Just came to this thread and haven’t gone all the way through it yet, but if the following website has not been mentioned, I have found it very interesting:

I like the breadth of information on that website but often disagree with their flavor wheels and ratings. I used to love love love ginfoundry.com, but I think it was either bought out or merged or expanded into Spiritsbeacon.com and a related retail outlet, spiritskiosk.com. Spiritsbeacon.com has a really great breakdown of the big gin botanicals and how they affect the taste of a gin. Their reviews used to be really great on ginfoundry as well. Now, though, they hit all sorts of spirits and it's a more global liquor oriented site. If you're looking for great gins that are hard to find at retail in the states, Spiritskiosk.com is sensational.

I actually vented on this thread about how a gin called The Gin Foundry - Europa was likely infringing on the ginfoundry.com name, as the only reason I bought the gin was the assumption that the folks at ginfoundry.com had finally decided to produce something special. The gin was preposterously heavy handed, in my opinion, and I was very disappointed. They now own theginfoundry.com domain and I'd be willing to wager there was some legal dispute between those two groups. Ginfoundry used to produce a "gin annual" which is a really lovely thick softcover book on gin trends, releases, highlights of the year in various categories, etc. It's not very expensive and has a wealth of information. I love it and tend to pick it up every year. I think Spiritskiosk is the one now putting it together.
Thanks for the info. Just came upon this thread last night, and ended up starting at the beginning and reading through the whole thing. Appreciate your many posts. I now have a list of a few more gins to try, at least those that can be found in Seattle. I did go to the Spiritsbeacon.com, though it was a bit harder to find the gin-related info buried within…but will keep looking.
I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff.
-Bob Dylan

"...what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."

Andrew Kotowski

#522 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

FWIW - I think the new owner for Aviation gin is rebranding; I’m seeing crazy prices/dumping in different stores. Best one was last night, for $15.69 up in north-central WA. At that price, stock up.
Instagram at @akgrill

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#523 Post by K John Joseph »

Isle of Harris Gin - Scotland - I've been looking for this one after a rave review in ginfoundry's Gin Annual from last year or the year before. Never seen it in the states until last Friday when I stumbled across it at Pogo's in Dallas (which is an exceptional but a little proud liquor store). It uses Sugar Kelp seaweed from the Hebrides islands around the Isle of Harris in Scotland, along with other far more traditional botanicals like juniper, cubeb, orris root, anise, and bitter orange peel. The result is a silky, almost dangerously smooth gin that has a pop of juniper mellowed out quickly but a slightly earthy note, bitter citrus, sweetness, and peppery spice on the back end (which my mom commented on). Orris root provides a slight floral note to the nose (which my dad commented on). The kelp note is similar to that found in Gray Whale, whose mint note makes a great companion. Isle of Harris is smooth and satisfying and a complex and well made gin. I think this would be better in a gin and tonic with a lemon or grapefruit than with a lime. I think it could use a little more touch of bright acid as the palate is a hair sweet with Fever Tree indian. Still, a very good gin and one I'd recommend. I have to imagine that this would be absolute dynamite in a martini with a lemon twist.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#524 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

K John Joseph wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 10:40 am Isle of Harris Gin - Scotland - I've been looking for this one after a rave review in ginfoundry's Gin Annual from last year or the year before. Never seen it in the states until last Friday when I stumbled across it at Pogo's in Dallas (which is an exceptional but a little proud liquor store). It uses Sugar Kelp seaweed from the Hebrides islands around the Isle of Harris in Scotland, along with other far more traditional botanicals like juniper, cubeb, orris root, anise, and bitter orange peel. The result is a silky, almost dangerously smooth gin that has a pop of juniper mellowed out quickly but a slightly earthy note, bitter citrus, sweetness, and peppery spice on the back end (which my mom commented on). Orris root provides a slight floral note to the nose (which my dad commented on). The kelp note is similar to that found in Gray Whale, whose mint note makes a great companion. Isle of Harris is smooth and satisfying and a complex and well made gin. I think this would be better in a gin and tonic with a lemon or grapefruit than with a lime. I think it could use a little more touch of bright acid as the palate is a hair sweet with Fever Tree indian. Still, a very good gin and one I'd recommend. I have to imagine that this would be absolute dynamite in a martini with a lemon twist.
I love this gin and I agree about the grapefruit garnish.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

S.Swingle

#525 Post by S.Swingle »

I've been sticking with Botanist Gin for a while now and enjoy it quite a bit.
Occasionally I'll grab a Bombay Sapphire if I'm feeling up to it.
Seiji S.

Guillermo M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#526 Post by Guillermo M »

I LOVE Nolet's Silver for my G&Ts (with Fever Tree), and Tanqueray 10 for almost everything else.

A G&T with Nolet's Silver makes you feel like you're in small patio bar across the street from the sand in an ancient beach town in Catalonia. Make it in an oversized brandy snifter with lime and lemon slices and maybe a few raspberries or flower petals for color.

If the gin will be barely noticeable in the cocktail, I'll do regular Tanqueray.

And if I need overproof, I'll do Jos. A Magnus Vigilant Navy Strength.
Guillermo M e n a

WOTY candidates as of 9/21:
2019 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr “Ur” alte Reben
2019 Huet Vouvray Le Haut-Lieu Sec
2019 Skouras Moschofilero Salto
2018 Carlisle Papera Ranch Zinfandel
2017 Artemis Karamolegos Pyritis Mega Cuvee Santorini
2019 Raúl Pérez Atalier a cruz das ánimas Rías Baixas

Jay Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#527 Post by Jay Miller »

Yes, they've been doing a range of spirits in Sherry casks. I've found reviews for everything but the gin.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Guillermo M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#528 Post by Guillermo M »

Jay Miller wrote: September 18th, 2021, 7:19 pm
Yes, they've been doing a range of spirits in Sherry casks. I've found reviews for everything but the gin.
Gin is really big in Spain so I’m not surprised.
Guillermo M e n a

WOTY candidates as of 9/21:
2019 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr “Ur” alte Reben
2019 Huet Vouvray Le Haut-Lieu Sec
2019 Skouras Moschofilero Salto
2018 Carlisle Papera Ranch Zinfandel
2017 Artemis Karamolegos Pyritis Mega Cuvee Santorini
2019 Raúl Pérez Atalier a cruz das ánimas Rías Baixas

Return to “Beer and Spirits”