What BEER are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#17351 Post by BRhoades »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: March 27th, 2022, 2:42 pm Agree 100% about West Coasties. But, even when controlling for freshness, I've perceived some pretty healthy batch variation with Swami's. I'm a total sucker for Mosaic --- anytime I really like a West Coast IPA, and go to look the hop bill, I basically expect to find Mosaic featured therein ---- almost without fail, this is what happens. I thought you weren't big on Mosaic? Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else ...
SABRO ...... [head-bang.gif]
It aint wine all the time~Bud

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17352 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

BRhoades wrote: March 27th, 2022, 5:01 pm
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: March 27th, 2022, 2:42 pm Agree 100% about West Coasties. But, even when controlling for freshness, I've perceived some pretty healthy batch variation with Swami's. I'm a total sucker for Mosaic --- anytime I really like a West Coast IPA, and go to look the hop bill, I basically expect to find Mosaic featured therein ---- almost without fail, this is what happens. I thought you weren't big on Mosaic? Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else ...

You sir are confusing me with someone else ! ......how many beers have we shared [wow.gif]

Cheers amigo,
I've been trying to cut-back a bit on my beer recently; apparently my brain has not yet adjusted. [wow.gif] hitsfan
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17353 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

BRhoades wrote: March 27th, 2022, 5:02 pm
SABRO ...... [head-bang.gif]
Well, I'm with ya' on that.

And there are plenty of other hops I like only in blends, and preferably not controlling the blend: Motueka; Amarillo; Enigma; Mandarin Bavarina; Huell Melon; and probably a good many others that simply aren't coming to mind right now. Amarillo is the biggest disappointment of the bunch for me, due to how ubiquitous it is. Hell, I'd even put Citra up there because I don't think it does good as a single-hop beer, but I don't mind it in a blend, even if it's the predominant hop in the blend --- I just think it needs a stronger/bitter hop to go with it.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

BRhoades
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17354 Post by BRhoades »

Monkish Brewing Co. H2X BXMB DDH DIPA,8.5% ABV. Hopped with Citra, Mosaic, Simcoe and Galaxy with Phantasm. This is described as a mash up of Water Balloon Fight Club and Bomb Atomically, two of my all time OG Monkish DIPAs. This opens with huge pungent aromatics. There's layers of complex flavors, juicy ripe tropicals, sweet orange citrus fruits, dank mixed berries, ripe melon, mango and papaya all jump in the pool with this incredible experiment, and it works, this is one of the more impactful Monkish beers I've had in a while. This is one of ten new releases being dropped this week to celebrate Monkish's 10th anniversary. Brewery only.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time~Bud

AdrianReyes

#17355 Post by AdrianReyes »

Modelo.... Especial
"Im to drunk to taste this chicken"

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17356 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

BRhoades wrote: March 29th, 2022, 5:16 pm Image

Monkish Brewing Co. H2X BXMB DDH DIPA,8.5% ABV. Hopped with Citra, Mosaic, Simcoe and Galaxy with Phantasm. This is described as a mash up of Water Balloon Fight Club and Bomb Atomically, two of my all time OG Monkish DIPAs. This opens with huge pungent aromatics. There's layers of complex flavors, juicy ripe tropicals, sweet orange citrus fruits, dank mixed berries, ripe melon, mango and papaya all jump in the pool with this incredible experiment, and it works, this is one of the more impactful Monkish beers I've had in a while. This is one of ten new releases being dropped this week to celebrate Monkish's 10th anniversary. Brewery only.

Highly Recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
Sounds great! Might have to see if I can swing by sometime in the next day or two.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17357 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Considered posting this on the “old beer” thread, as it just passed the five year mark, but that doesn’t feel “old?”

A friend gave me a Uinta Hopscursion Batch 2 Brett IPA (bottle 3/10/17). Was surprised to see that the Brett wasn’t overbearing. If anything, it was just incredibly bitter… which went well with a fatty rillete and eggs I had for dinner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Instagram at @akgrill

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17358 Post by Brian Tuite »

A gift from my Son-in-law because my time is too valuable to spend it waiting hours in long lines.

With that said I’m really enjoying this. I expected something completely different. Fir needles and orange rind and other citrus aromas. Extremely easy on the palate, nothing overly hoppy, kinda creamy. Perhaps the alc will hit me but otherwise this is pretty seamless. Still not waiting 3-5hrs in line for it.

E2F86E70-0546-48AE-A28A-412A8AFE14C6.jpeg
1E72935E-0E1E-4582-A740-DC93A2E3D9AB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"It's always fun to convert people back to carnivore!”
Carrie Morgan

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

Too old to give a fu¢k what you think of me.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17359 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Very nice, Brian! Once upon a time, PtY -- on tap -- was my all-time favorite TIPA. Don't know if that's still my opinion today because -- like you -- I have zero interest in enduring the necessary waiting in line to find out.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17360 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Monkish - “LA Hat” NEIPA
This is so thoroughly fantastic. I love that this tips the scales at a refreshing 6.6% -- and it does that without compromising any flavor. No DDH treatment here, just a straight-up fantastic single hazy that drinks waaaay too easily.

Howard Roselinsky

#17361 Post by Howard Roselinsky »

Bud and Brian,

Not sure where you guys are in SoCal exactly, but Whole Foods in SD got their hands on some Heady Topper. Just ask the individual in charge of alcohol sales, they keep it in the back! I’d check the WF by you to see if they have any inventory.

Howard

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17362 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

World Beer Cup Gold Medal in Kellerbier to our own Rick Allen for HA Pils.

Category well contested too!

0918C5FC-15C2-411D-A86E-8C726D9697DE.jpeg
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and négociant in Napa Valley, CA

Rick Allen
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17363 Post by Rick Allen »

Thanks Glenn! It feels really good.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17364 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

I bet. Just reading thru all the categories, they don’t miss a beat in World Beer Cup!
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and négociant in Napa Valley, CA

Dennis Atick

#17365 Post by Dennis Atick »

The Treehouse empire continues to grow. Amazing what they've in the last 5 years

Tree House is purchasing Tewksbury Country Club from Marc Ginsburg and family. In getting to know Marc and his team, and in learning the history of the Club, it was clear that they share the same passion for great experiences and the meticulous attention to detail that we do. We will carry on their legacy with the full vigor and enthusiasm of Tree House Brewing Company.

We will evolve the space into an expansive and inviting beer hall and retail store and continue to operate the golf course and various amenities with the full strength of our crew behind it.
@decaturwinedude

“The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew.”--Abraham Lincoln, December 1, 1862

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17366 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Wow!!!

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17367 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

For my money, this time around, Fremont Dark Star >>>>> B-Bomb.

Had both on draught.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17368 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Monkish - "LA Hat" DDH NEIPA.

Really loving this relatively-low-octane hazy from Monkish --- 6.6% abv.. Lots of orange; snappy, easy to drink. Perfection.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17369 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

Grabbed another Dark Star. Reason tatters.

A255427C-6779-40A9-813A-56C26C108509.jpeg

Andrew Bair
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17370 Post by Andrew Bair »

No photos, but I really enjoyed the Maine Beer Company Wolfe's Neck IPA a couple of weeks ago. Maine Beer is a go-to brewery for me for their extremely well balanced IPAs, and Wolfe's Neck is another major success IMHO.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17371 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Andrew Bair wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 5:44 pm No photos, but I really enjoyed the Maine Beer Company Wolfe's Neck IPA a couple of weeks ago. Maine Beer is a go-to brewery for me for their extremely well balanced IPAs, and Wolfe's Neck is another major success IMHO.
I've not seen, or heard of, that brew from MBC; is it a new one to their lineup?

Evan K
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17372 Post by Evan K »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: May 26th, 2022, 5:58 pm
Andrew Bair wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 5:44 pm No photos, but I really enjoyed the Maine Beer Company Wolfe's Neck IPA a couple of weeks ago. Maine Beer is a go-to brewery for me for their extremely well balanced IPAs, and Wolfe's Neck is another major success IMHO.
I've not seen, or heard of, that brew from MBC; is it a new one to their lineup?
It's been around for a while - at least since I visited the brewery in August of 2020. I've noticed a substantial increase in availability across the range here in NYC.
K 0 r n

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17373 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Brewery X - "Slap and Tickle" IPA
Chapman - "Aries" NEIPA

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17374 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

In the category of best IPA/worst package I present Crowns & Hops from Inglewood, CA.

7CB00267-AC7D-4CA0-8DC8-617D180E472E.jpeg

Rick Allen
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17375 Post by Rick Allen »

That's a really ugly can.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17376 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

Sad thing is that it's quite a balanced IPA. My local guy gifted me a mixed 4-can lot and this, and the one from Wolves & People, were both quite good. I think I tried this one last b/c of the package.

Sadly, my guy moved on to Boise and my local beer spot in Coos Bay just won't be the same. Take care Ben.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17377 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Glenn L e v i n e wrote: June 10th, 2022, 2:09 pm In the category of best IPA/worst package I present Crowns & Hops from Inglewood, CA.

7CB00267-AC7D-4CA0-8DC8-617D180E472E.jpeg
They make good stuff. Usually in the "very good" territory, sometimes creeping up into "excellent," as far as my palate is concerned.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17378 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

I’m down with C&H man.

Jim Willard

#17379 Post by Jim Willard »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: December 13th, 2009, 10:28 am New Belgium -- "Wild Ale" (Lips of Faith series)
Bear Republic -- Racer 5 IPA
Stone -- Arrogant Bastard
I like your taste, sir. Racer & Arrogant Bastard are definitely among my favorites.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17380 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Jim Willard wrote: June 11th, 2022, 11:38 am
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: December 13th, 2009, 10:28 am New Belgium -- "Wild Ale" (Lips of Faith series)
Bear Republic -- Racer 5 IPA
Stone -- Arrogant Bastard
I like your taste, sir. Racer & Arrogant Bastard are definitely among my favorites.
Classic stalwarts at this point. Cheers!

Dennis Atick

#17381 Post by Dennis Atick »

I will be in NH this coming weekend. In the middle of the state, Wolfeboro. Any breweries/beers to look out for in the area? Portland, ME in play, too, I think. Hazy and DIPA, mostly, but open to whatever is good.
Thanks.
@decaturwinedude

“The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew.”--Abraham Lincoln, December 1, 1862

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17382 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Monkish - "Le IPA" DDH NEIPA

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17383 Post by TimF »

Dennis Atick wrote: June 13th, 2022, 8:49 am I will be in NH this coming weekend. In the middle of the state, Wolfeboro. Any breweries/beers to look out for in the area? Portland, ME in play, too, I think. Hazy and DIPA, mostly, but open to whatever is good.
Thanks.
Maine Beer Co is near Portland. Bissell Brothers and Allagash in Portland. Novare Res is a great beer bar in Portland.
Tim F@itsch

Dennis Atick

#17384 Post by Dennis Atick »

TimF wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 9:18 am
Dennis Atick wrote: June 13th, 2022, 8:49 am I will be in NH this coming weekend. In the middle of the state, Wolfeboro. Any breweries/beers to look out for in the area? Portland, ME in play, too, I think. Hazy and DIPA, mostly, but open to whatever is good.
Thanks.
Maine Beer Co is near Portland. Bissell Brothers and Allagash in Portland. Novare Res is a great beer bar in Portland.
Thanks, Tim. It was last weekend - familiar with the names you mention already. But we had good local beers from Lone Wolfe and Stoneface. [cheers.gif]
@decaturwinedude

D0mi S0pk0

#17385 Post by D0mi S0pk0 »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 11:53 pm Monkish - "Le IPA" DDH NEIPA
What did you think of this one? I like most Monkish IPAs but was not a fan - I'm going to try another one today just to confirm but my initial impression was that it wasn't great.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17386 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

D0mi S0pk0 wrote: June 25th, 2022, 9:59 am
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 11:53 pm Monkish - "Le IPA" DDH NEIPA
What did you think of this one? I like most Monkish IPAs but was not a fan - I'm going to try another one today just to confirm but my initial impression was that it wasn't great.
I love it, but my preferences are a bit different than the typical Monkish fan. I like single IPAs, and I like my hazies leaning crisp/hybrid, which I feel Le IPA is. It’s not a normal Monkish, imo, but I like it. :)

Return to “Beer and Spirits”