What Cigar or Pipe Are You Smoking?

Figured this might be the best sub forum to ask that question. There is a rather slow not to informative thread on CT https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=223035&mpage=15 but I thought I’d see if people were interested in starting one here.

Jason

Used to smoke more in the past. Now it seems I don’t have the time. Don’t know much about current releases.

Big cigar guy

Wide range, although favs are aged cigars

I have a pretty good collection but like Eric I struggle to find the time. I also prefer smoking in a social setting and I haven’t found any smokers in my new hometown.

My grandfather was a VP at a cigar company. I’ve never smelled cigars as good as the ones he smoked. Not surprising as he travelled to Cuba to make the selections.

I’m not an expert, but the occasional cigar with a brandy on the deck is not to be missed.

Cool. Seems like it is worth a shot to start a thread to share what we are smoking.

As for me, I smoked a fair amount in the mid 90s and then I moved to the UK and grew very fond of Cuban cigars. I never maintained much of a humidor and eventually just stopped smoking them. For me it was because I couldn’t really find the time or place and I generally don’t like to smoke alone (unless I am traveling and I can find a cigar lounge to watch a hockey game at) so I just stopped buying them. But over the last few years I’ve started again and am really enjoying them. I usually maintain between 60-80 cigars in the humi. I generally prefer them aged but I do keep 25-30 less expensive sticks to have randomly or to share with someone that won’t really care.

Over the last few years I have tended to prefer cigars in the medium or even mild range. With my Cubans, the age helps them tremendously.

Now I am a 1 to 3 cigar a week guy.

Jason

Jason

If your ever in Chicago let me know, we can watch a hawks game and enjoy a cigar

I’ll be there in January so if you are not covered in a polar vortex like last year, I’m there.

Should be there a few more times in the year as well.

Jason

I spend a few weeks in Mexico every year over the winter - and always purchase a couple of Cubans to enjoy while I am there.

BUT - I never know what to purchase - what are the best Cuban Cigars to look for?

I’m been lucky over the years to find some pre-embargo Cubans - last score was a couple of 1959’s (don’t remember the producer) - but could use some advice on what to look for -

For the most part I avoid Cohiba, but their lanceros are fabulous and probably $45+ per stick in a touristy area in Mexico. I think Sancho Panza are among the best values and I have a soft spot for Montecristo. I also find that the smaller cigar the more body it has and inversely the larget the cigar the more mellow it is. There are exceptions, though. The Partagas Lusitania is a great example, huge 2+ hour smoke but pretty subtle and elegant. And I find the smaller Montecristo #s 4 and 5 to be pretty pungent and flavorful.
I haven’t followed close enough to know what harvests have been better than others but it seems quality has rebounded and is pretty consistent compared to the late 90s stuff.
Just be very wary of counterfeits, the LCDH (La Casa del Habano) are your best bet but even this official retailer has been spotted selling fakes, most notably in resort towns.

I used to smoke a ton of cigars but now that I own a cigar shop, I rarely get the chance to really sit and enjoy one. If I remember or I’m not rushed to make my Tuesday afternoon tee time, I will enjoy one on the course. I tend to have a Dominican Cohiba robusto when enjoying a cocktail or port. It’s one of the few cigars that smoke the same end to end or until the tooth pick catches fire. Daily smoke used to be Padron 2000 Maduro and special occasion cigar Padron 1964 Exclusivo Maduro. There are a lot of new cigars on the market and many are very good to excellent.

Cigars have such a parallel to wine. Region, sub region, single lot, blend, wine/cigar maker/blender, aging, etc. Even the ratings have a parallel. Higher octane in wines and more strength in cigars are getting the ratings these days.

Doh. Of course. Randy, thanks for commenting.

So, the question is, should we start Cigar/Pipe thread and if so, should we request that the sub forum’s name be changed to Beer, Spirits and Smokes?

Considering how hard we had to fight to get this forum, not sure they would change for us.

So I am happy to play elsewhere but would love if recos and general knowledge just came from fellow Berserkers.

Jason

Problem is Jason we are a persecuted group.

A lot of people will fight against cigar smokers.

Anyways , today i started with a original batch Aurora la cien lancero, which is a great smoke, currently on a Regus black label gordado

I am glad this post started.
About twenty years ago I worked at an orphanage in Honduras. I started my cigar smoking there when I would lay on a ramp smoking cigars and looking at the clear night. I haven’t stopped since. I only get to smoke about once a week during the school year, so I usually try to stock up on things I like. I rotate between the Fuente 858 Rosado (was able to get a couple boxes 2 years ago), Magnum R, and the Anejo 77. Special occasion cigar is the Padron 1926 or Cuban Partagas acquired through INTEL cigar club members.

LJ Peretti is going to have a cyber Monday sale. The prices are pretty good, I just picked up another box of Anejo before I knew the sale was going to happen.

Well I’ll give this a shot, even if it is slow. I’d love to read what Berserkers are smoking these days.

I’ll start with a few of my recents:

La Colmena No. 44 Corona by Warped Cigars Okay so I have only had one so far but will try another soon. All I can say is that this is an outstanding cigar. Limited distribution as far as brick and mortar but they can be found online.

Tatuaje Black Label Corona Gorda I don’t these will be around much longer but I highly recommend. Listed everywhere as full strength but I found it in the medium realm.

My Father Robusto - CT Easy smoking cigar but not very complex. Easy draw and mild.

L’Atelier Extension de la Racine 2014, made by Pete Johnson Get um while you can. Great medium/full cigar.

While in Nashville I got a Tennessee exclusive by Crowned Heads called Tennessee Waltz. Terrific. Brought a few back to rest for a year or so in the humi.

Cheers,

Jason

I suppose titling the thread, “What are You Smoking?” could be a little misleading, huh? [wink.gif]

Regius Orchant Campana. Beautiful smoke.

Hah exactly. Didn’t want to get anyone in trouble.

J

That’s what I’m talking about. This is a new name to me.

Randy, do you ship cigars?

Jason

Jason, you NEED to go to Randy and Carrie’s place when you are in Napa next - pick out a few with Randy’s help and smoke one in the cigar room - I love doing that!!