Irish Whiskey Thread

Since there are threads specific to Bourbon and beer, I thought I would put this out there as another thread.

I have like my Irish Whiskey in the past. My turning point was a 12 year old Jameson that my parents brought back from Ireland, a Distillery Limited Edition. I drank it with a buddy in a night. That aside, I have enjoyed my bottles of Green Spot over the last few years. I am not sure if it is the Pot Distilled method, but they have been enjoyable and easy to drink. The older Red Breast and Jameson have also brought great drinking experiences.

I am looking for thoughts on some of the current releases.

Any opinions on the new Yellow Spot?

What about a release called Hyde? It seems to be a selection from Cooley, which I know nothing about.

Let me know your thoughts on these or other great current releases.

Just had the new Yellow Spot. Has to be my favorite.

Midleton’s Very Rare or Midleton’s 30. Bit pricey but both great.

Teelings has been getting some press but I haven’t tried it yet, though I did see it in a local shop and will have to grab a bottle…

Red Breast and Green Spot are my favorites, but also like the Bushmill’s 16 year…

I really like both the green spot and the yellow. I think they are two of the better spirits purchases I’ve made in the past year.

I too think I like the yellow better – it’s more interesting, more complex. It’s also higher proof (46% vs. 40%) and less “smooth” – a bit more burn. All that said, every time I go back to the green, which is just absolutely delicious, my belief that the yellow is better seems to waiver :slight_smile:

I bought the Bushmills 21 when k and l had it on sale and I found it disappointing – too woody and lacking grace.

Scott

There are limited yellow spots here in portland, but I’m going to try and pick one up.

Has anyone heard of the Hyde or tried it?

Keep a lookout for West Cork 10yr Single Malt. It’s a great value and really good stuff. I have not tried the ‘spots’ yet so I will have to check them out. Red Breast has been my go-to on the higher end for Irish in the past. I’m generally not a big fan of the upper tier Jameson & Bushmills offerings.

When I tried Green Spot for the first time this year I wished I’d just bought Redbreast.

This is good, and good value.

I have tried Irish Mist, a golden coloured Irish whisky

I’m predicting Irish Whiskey is the next ‘big thing’, ousting Bourbon.

Connemara Single malt Irish Whisky is a nice alternative. I am generally not a fan of Peat but this is nice.

Rum is next

anyone try Teeling whiskey yet? Former owners of the Cooley distillery, launched their own label… have seen som positive reviews and just spotted the Rum Cask finish bottle in a local store…

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-05-15/teeling-irish-whiskeys-pots-o-gold#p2

This! For the price and quality - can’t be beat

Redbreast is fantastic, the 21 year old is in the top few whiskies ive ever tasted and is in the company of things like Macallan 25, there is nothing around at the moment that would be better value that the 110 Euro I spent on this bottle

Midletown Very Rare is probably my favorite

Midleton is quite good, but pricey. There’s a step up from there as well but I haven’t had it.

Very much enjoy Green Spot…first discovered it in Dublin in 2011. Very glad it is now available in the States. I haven’t tried the Yellow yet but the holidays are coming!

Cheers!
Marshall

I like Teelings. It is replacing my usual Redbreast 12 which is not that great a value as the price continues to increase.