Radlers that don't radle....

We’ve done HUGE business with an Austrian Radler (Pilsner + Tunisian Grapefruit Soda at 2.5% ABV) and a couple of others, all from Europe with similar specs, most importantly LESS THAN 3% alcohol. The very WORD “radler” means “cyclist” and is actually sold as a SPORTS DRINK like Gatorade or other hydrating liquid with some electrolytes.

Now several American breweries are LABELING things a “radler” and use fruit components but the ABV is inching north of 4% rendering them “fruit beers” and not really useful when mowing the lawn, riding your bike or volksmarching as they are TOO strong to really pound with impunity.

MAKE UP A DIFFERENT NAME FOR CHRIST’s SAKE!!!

Rant over…

Steigl is the only one that’s doing it right.

I love me some Radler. Also, “Radler, the beer I drink to sober up”

I like Steigl’s lemon radler better but it’s really hard to find. The grapefruit is a very acceptable replacement.

I did not even know the lemon Radler was a thing. Oh my.

Pretty great on a hot day

I thought us Americans called these Shandy.

Yep same thing. Noble ale Works has two on tap right now, one with lemon juice and another with grapefruit juice. The grapefruit juice is delicious

Shandy is just the Irish name for the same thing.

and BTW; Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy is horse bleep. Seriously, why not make your own? You can get fizzy Euro style lemonade or grapefruit sparkler at a ton of places…trader joes, for example. Amazon if you don’t mind waiting 5 days.

'Zackly - I’ve had quite a few American versions and they all more than sucked. Ballast Point is doing their Sculpin IPA with Grapefruit, and that is actually very well made - but man, some of these US versions are just horrible.

If you are ever in San Diego, ballast point does a lot of “research” beers which are almost always fruit based cask beers.

I had a cask grunion (their American pale ale) with mangos and passion fruit. I drank three full pints in about ten minutes. It was that damn good.

Disagree. Prefer the Schofferhoffer to the Stiegl.

I have no interest in beer with 2% alcohol. Too many calories/too much money for that reward. I think under 5% still counts as fairly low alcohol. I like the Blvd Ginger Lemon Radler though, and its 4.5%. I also drink a ton of shandies in the summer with simply lemonade and a variety of beers.

The Stiegl makes a good drink mixer though.

I had that for the first time a few weeks back and found it way too sweet for my liking.

YMMV.

+1 on the Boulevard radler. Really tasty.

The Stiegl is 77 calories for a 16oz can -

Thomas that does help. It seems a bit sweet so I assumed more. Regardless, I’ll take the Blvd with 4.5. I just don’t see a point in so low an abv. Obviously YMMV. Again, I like the Stiegl as a cocktail mixer.

Ottakringer
Gösser
Bitburger

In that order.