GABF

Anyone going to the Great American Beer Festival next week in Denver?
I’ll be there. If anyone is reach out. I’d love to connect.

i wish. I keep saying i’ll go, but i never do. Have fun!

John, we attended last years event. For the most part we were overwhelmed by the shear enormity of the event. However the amount of obnoxious drunk idiots really ruined a couple cool events. Fights, obnoxious behavior, we witnessed guys pissing right in line in front of everyone and then the line cutting that became such a problem that it warranted police attention. They did address it in advance of this years event by saying that there would be a crack down on such behavior, I hope so, but for me that was enough considering the time and effort not including cost that we put into attending the event. Its a cool event, I hope they can clear out the idiots who are there only to get blind drunk. The seminars and tours in addition to the tastings are really cool events, we did the kick off at Falling Rock Tap House that was a blast and did a muti course beer pairing dinner at Fresh Craft that we really enjoyed, lets hope they clean it up this year.

Cheers,

Bud

There are a lot more events this year that are “members only” for whatever that’s worth. I was worried about what you posted.

We went in 2009, and saw the same bad behavior (they said they would crack down then too). I also heard of Breweries being treated very poorly by the folks running the event. We thought about trying it this year, but prices for just about everything are through the roof. To bring enough people to staff a booth would likely cost about as much as a new tank. I’d rather have a new tank.

I’ve gone to GABF three times now. And while there is a definite shit show element to it, it really isn’t much worse than any other festival I’ve seen up here. The major problem I have with it, and it came to an apex last year, was entry. You’re talking +/- 15,000 people trying to get through 1 entry point with six-8 doors. It took us nearly an hour of our 4 hour session to get through last year. That is a significantly bigger issue than frat boys getting drunk. Hit the AHA session or the afternoon sessions and you’ll be fine. The evening sessions on Friday and Saturday is when the shit hits the fan.

If I was a brewery like Rick, there is no way in hell I’d invest that amount of money there unless I was pretty damn sure I was medaling in the comp. No one remembers the smaller breweries unless there is a medal on their board. Even then…who remembers that Airways Brewery up here in Washington won gold for their Pilsner last year? I sure as hell didn’t until 5 minutes ago when I looked it up for research.

EDIT TO ADD: after all that, i will be back eventually. I’m a glutten for punishment and I love the atmosphere down there during the festival. And the Rare Beer Fest is usually something to consider as well. There really is more good than bad…but the bad tends to hold more credence over the good.

Line cutting and craft beer go hand in hand. Three essentials for all craft beer gatherings

1. neck beards
  2. line cutting
  3. mules

And the three essentials that keep me from repeating the same mistake twice, actually I have been to many beer festivals/events that these behavior patterns were not as obvious as to what we witnessed at GABF last year. Mules are not as big an issue at an event like GABF as opposed to say a rare bottle release from the latest flavor of the month brewery and neck beards well,………… [wow.gif], just keep em clean beer bro’s ! [soap.gif]

Cheers,

Bud

You’re welcome bro.

Now that we’ve moved here I guess I’ll try for tickets next year. I’ve been going to a great beer bar downtown, Falling Rock Tap House, and they seem to have a bunch of events for the GABF. I might try and get there a day after the big event and see what specials are left?

Check out Euclid Hall, if you already haven’t, Mel. They are having a cool event with Avery on the 24th, which they have done for a number of years now.

Mel, we did one of the GABF kick off events last year at Falling Rock, I love that place.

Cheers,

Bud

I think you could honestly come here and never go to anything at the conference center- there are a million events in the city.

Bud, we did Falling Rock today. Euclid Hall last night and a number of breweries today.