Peaty Whisky Advice

It’s been awhile since I drank a dram of malt. Used to like Laphroigh, Talisker and especially the usual Lagavulin that essentially brings me back to weird smells from my childhood.
My son now has an interest and needs advice. He, without knowing it, likes a similar style. His experience lies with liking Glenfiddich and he doesn’t like Balvenie, Dewar, Macallan.
Any advice for reasonably priced single malts? He really wants Lagavulin so I’ll get that. Is Campbell Town still around? I don’t see much locally.

Lagavulin. Period.

Yeah, that’s what I thought.

Ardbeg Corryvreckan (or any of them really);
Bunnahabhain 18, fancy cask versions if you like that sort of thing.
If you want max peat try something like Bruichlaidich Octomore if budget allows.

Are you saying there are peaty variations of this? The regular bottling has very little to no peat.

I’m going to give some controversial advice: for me, peat and smoke in whisky is the equivalent of oak in wine (or, frankly, hops in beer). A little is OK, but too much just covers up the natural flavors in the whisky itself. I’d suggest having him try different producers, not just lock in on what he thinks he likes, going straight for the super smoky versions. Personally, I can’t drink Lagavulin, Laphroaig, etc., so take my comments for what they’re worth.

Campbeltown: coincidentally, my daughter gave me a bottle of Kilkerran 12 year, from Campbeltown. I don’t know the price, but I’ll assume it wasn’t particularly expensive. It has some definite smoke, but not overwhelming, and is otherwise fairly bright and lighter in style. Your son might like it, worth a try.

Alan, Thanks, I’ll look more carefully, but lots of camp fires etc have probably made us immune to the smoke flavors.
I remember Springbank having a really nice Campbeltown whisky (not single malt) that was priced well for people just starting out.

Laphroaig 10 cask strength

The quintessential Islay

Laphroaig and Ardbeg if you really like peat, Lagavulin if you really like a little.

Paul John Bold. :wink:

http://pauljohnwhisky.com/single-malts/bold/
pauljohn-bold-single-malt-whisky.jpg

[quote=“Alan Rath”]I’m going to give some controversial advice: for me, peat and smoke in whisky is the equivalent of oak in wine (or, frankly, hops in beer). A little is OK, but too much just covers up the natural flavors in the whisky itself. I’d suggest having him try different producers, not just lock in on what he thinks he likes, going straight for the super smoky versions. Personally, I can’t drink Lagavulin, Laphroaig, etc., so take my comments for what they’re worth

I remember cleaning up after my parents party nights in the 60s and tasting the leftover Scotch and thinking that all the cigarette smoke had messed with the whiskey. It was years later that I discovered that it was made that way. I’m a Balvanie guy though and don’t understand the campfire appeal.

Highland Park

Kilchoman.

I’m a big Ardbeg and Laphroaig fan; but I think Kilchoman is doing some good things and you can get some reasonably priced bottles.

While I love Highland Park, it would not be my suggestion to someone specifically asking for a peaty whisky and citing Lagavulin as a benchmark. Yes, Highland Park bottlings generally do see some peat on the floor malted parcel (at least), but not a lot and the Orkney peat is quite different from Islay peat.

Love the whisky, though.

For now we went with Lagavulin 16 and the more civilized Oban 14 as they were on sale. Next we’ll get some Ardberg which I remember being good and is now just as easy to get.
Not quite sure why my son is keen on these but they remind me of many of the smells I grew up in a small fishing village.

I think a little peat, yes very low on iodine etc versus Laphroaig was suggesting contrast against Ardbeg Bruchkaiddich etc

If you visit the Lagavulin and especially Laphroaig distilleries you will smell why their whiskies smell/taste the way they do as soon as you get out of the car…

For his next visit home my son has requested Laphroaig “quarter cask” and “triple wood”. Never tried them myself. Personally I’m going to try something else that I haven’t tried Kilchoman “machir bay”
Hoping for the best.

Lagavulin 16 is beautiful.

Talisker 10 is also a decent option for those that want a dialed back peat and smoke note, but one that is still most certainly pleasant. I think Talisker is kind of a blend between an Islay and a Highland, leaning a bit to Islay. I also think it’s better than Springbank 15, which is another alternative.

If you have an interest in peat, Bunnahabhain is not it. It is literally the ONLY unpeated Islay scotch. Any other Islay whiskey will serve but that one.

Now, with that said, Bunn is delicious and I second the general recommendation, just not when discussing peaty whiskey.

I wouldn’t think Springbank 15 would be very peaty.

-Al