What BEER are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13851 Post by Andrew Kotowski » May 24th, 2016, 2:41 pm

Great beer day yesterday:
* Boneyard Ale Master IPA - big fan of all things Boneyard and this does not disappoint. Huge citrus notes, almost to the point where I thought it might be a grapefruit IPA at first.
* AleSmith Hammerhead Speedway Stout - really enjoyed. Coffee was much more pronounced, somewhat angular (i.e. not as smooth as a regular Speedway); if coffee beans in a beer could tea bag you while drinking... this one would.
* Old Schoolhouse Plutopia Triple - a little over the top for me. I like their beers, but this one was heavy on the bitter up-front and boozy.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.instagram.com/akgrill

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#13852 Post by c fu » May 24th, 2016, 10:37 pm

Highland park brewery Neon. Their second canned IPA release. Released last Friday. 3000 cans. They announced sales could start anywhere from 1-4pm on a Friday. Within 2 hours they sold out of everything. Hype is real.

If you're a lover of west coast IPAs this is an example of a hop forward but clean balanced beer. Not overly bitter. Not aggressive. When you pour the can the glass just explodes with cantaloupe, mango and lemon zest. The beer is soft but bright, it has weight on the back end so the flavors linger on the finish. Superb example of how to make a west coast IPA without overwhelming the taste buds with ibu and hops.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Bob Hunnicutt

#13853 Post by Bob Hunnicutt » May 25th, 2016, 1:40 pm

Hop 2 It (single hop) at Russian River Brewery
Attachments
Hop2It160525.jpg
(Not Hunnicutt Winery BTW)

Scott Tallman

#13854 Post by Scott Tallman » May 28th, 2016, 8:26 pm

c fu wrote:
Scott Tallman wrote:
c fu wrote:I'm thinking the fourthmeal needed to be drunk on release. I still have 2 btls, haven't even opened one.
Hmm. I just bought 3 as I was thrilled to see an MBC beer in my market (even tho collab). Guess I need to drink asap.
it's way more bruery than MBC :D
Opened one of my 3 bottles last night. It was alright, but not something I'd seek out again. Agreed that the beer lacked any MBC signature, but the yeast screamed Bruery.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13855 Post by Andrew Kotowski » May 30th, 2016, 4:57 pm

I keep trying to give sour/fruit beers a chance. This tasted like sour lemon juice with a few raspberries tossed in for good measure. At $14.95, this is a pass for me. For the rest of you guys? I'm sure it's as good as the ratings suggest. ;)
WP_20160530_16_51_45_Rich.jpg

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#13856 Post by c fu » May 30th, 2016, 9:36 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:I keep trying to give sour/fruit beers a chance. This tasted like sour lemon juice with a few raspberries tossed in for good measure. At $14.95, this is a pass for me. For the rest of you guys? I'm sure it's as good as the ratings suggest. ;)
i freaking LOVE bretta rose. lol. It's one of my favorite beers from Firestone. I missed out by a minute on buying a 3L of it last time I was visiting.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#13857 Post by c fu » May 30th, 2016, 9:40 pm

Monkish Spock it. 100% Galaxy single IPA. Canned on Friday.

Easily one of the juiciest gorgeous noses I have ever smelled from an IPA. If someone just zested fresh grapefruit and blended mango and then mixed it with lilies into a spray form that's what it'd smell like. You can smell the glass from across the table.

The palate is soft and thick in that typical New England style. An absolute pleasure to drink.

If anyone would like a four pack I might have a four pack to spare at cost. You cover shipping. First to pm me gets it.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13858 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 30th, 2016, 10:39 pm

That better not be my four pack, mister!
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13859 Post by Andrew Kotowski » May 31st, 2016, 8:35 am

c fu wrote:
Andrew Kotowski wrote:I keep trying to give sour/fruit beers a chance. This tasted like sour lemon juice with a few raspberries tossed in for good measure. At $14.95, this is a pass for me. For the rest of you guys? I'm sure it's as good as the ratings suggest. ;)
i freaking LOVE bretta rose. lol. It's one of my favorite beers from Firestone. I missed out by a minute on buying a 3L of it last time I was visiting.
Check the shelves at Whole Foods now... at least 12 bottles at mine, have been sitting there. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla, I guess!

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#13860 Post by c fu » May 31st, 2016, 10:00 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
c fu wrote:
Check the shelves at Whole Foods now... at least 12 bottles at mine, have been sitting there. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla, I guess!
yeah grabbed some already. glad this is hitting distro
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

BRhoades

#13861 Post by BRhoades » May 31st, 2016, 5:30 pm

Bissell Brothers Substance. No hop bill listed. 6.6% ABV. Explosive hop fruited nose. Flavors show ripe oranges, resiny red grapefruit, hints of papaya, peach and mango as it warms. Lush soft body. Another example of an absolutely delicious east coast IPA.

Highly recommended,

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

PaulMills
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13862 Post by PaulMills » May 31st, 2016, 5:57 pm

I had a couple of Bells Two Hearted tonight. They are the hoppiest beers I can manage.

Saturday we went to Wicked Weed Brewing in Asheville, NC. I had an awesome lager while my wife had a very interested cucumber beer.

And I met this chick. Image

Dustin Buchko
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13863 Post by Dustin Buchko » May 31st, 2016, 6:42 pm

c fu wrote:Monkish Spock it. 100% Galaxy single IPA. Canned on Friday.

Easily one of the juiciest gorgeous noses I have ever smelled from an IPA. If someone just zested fresh grapefruit and blended mango and then mixed it with lilies into a spray form that's what it'd smell like. You can smell the glass from across the table.

The palate is soft and thick in that typical New England style. An absolute pleasure to drink.

If anyone would like a four pack I might have a four pack to spare at cost. You cover shipping. First to pm me gets it.
Concur wholeheartedly Charlie, such a great IPA, really hope to see more of this style from SoCal breweries. After the weekend I'm down to my last four pack.

Great seeing you at Monkish Saturday, thanks again for grabbing my HPB bottles!

Mel Hill

#13864 Post by Mel Hill » May 31st, 2016, 6:55 pm

Liking the single hop series from Denver's Station 26 brewery. Currently drinking the Mosiac along with a bruiser from Melvin, 2x4 DIPA

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#13865 Post by c fu » May 31st, 2016, 7:02 pm

Dustin Buchko wrote:
c fu wrote:Monkish Spock it. 100% Galaxy single IPA. Canned on Friday.

Concur wholeheartedly Charlie, such a great IPA, really hope to see more of this style from SoCal breweries. After the weekend I'm down to my last four pack.

Great seeing you at Monkish Saturday, thanks again for grabbing my HPB bottles!
Damn! Didn't you get four packs?? :D.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Dustin Buchko
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13866 Post by Dustin Buchko » May 31st, 2016, 7:09 pm

Only three, not sure what was up with the limit? Sign said three and I asked for max. Wishing I went back in line for more now, was already there a bit longer than I planned though.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#13867 Post by c fu » May 31st, 2016, 9:34 pm

Dustin Buchko wrote:Only three, not sure what was up with the limit? Sign said three and I asked for max. Wishing I went back in line for more now, was already there a bit longer than I planned though.
I got my 3. My friend next to me got 4 (henry the owner offered him 4). I then went back in line for about 15 minutes and picked up another four. Hooked up a few guys on the board with some 4 packs and I'm down to my last 2 :(
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Bob Hunnicutt

#13868 Post by Bob Hunnicutt » June 2nd, 2016, 2:28 pm

Russian River Brewery:
Started with a new release, a California Common (Anchor Steam-type lager) then onto this, the latest Hopfather single IPA. Both excellent, but the Hopfather was "Dayam."
Attachments
hopfather160602.jpg

BRhoades

#13869 Post by BRhoades » June 2nd, 2016, 6:01 pm

Catching up on some recent goodies. Hazy juicy goodness.

Cheers,

Bud

Mike Stoneking
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13870 Post by Mike Stoneking » June 2nd, 2016, 7:49 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:That better not be my four pack, mister!
I might have gotten your 4 pack. [wink.gif]
Will be taking a couple of these, and others, to Paso on Saturday for the Firestone Invitational after party at the hotel.
ITB..............Someone has to drink all this damn wine.
Viva Berserkers!!

Mike Stoneking
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13871 Post by Mike Stoneking » June 2nd, 2016, 7:50 pm

c fu wrote:
This is Dana's favorite from BarrelWorks.
ITB..............Someone has to drink all this damn wine.
Viva Berserkers!!

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13872 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 2nd, 2016, 8:47 pm

Figures :)

Tonight's beer is Midnight Sun's Berserker. A barrel-aged stout with molasses and maple syrup, this is the Project Runway equivalent of a hot tranny mess. I love it, but man this isn't for everyone. This has a motor oil like consistency and tastes like a sundae topping crashed into a bourbon stand.
WP_20160602_19_34_39_Rich.jpg

BRhoades

#13873 Post by BRhoades » June 3rd, 2016, 6:39 pm

For some reason I am having a very hard time posting images here on WBers lately, so anyway a couple great beers I have enjoyed recently minus the glamour shots

Other Half All Dank Everything. Collab with Cellarmaker, 8.3% ABV DIPA, no hop bill listed. Big citrus nasal blast followed by rich complex tropical fruit notes, as it opens you get lots of ripe peach and melon. Big hop hazed soft full body. Fantastic stuff, BTW, I have pic's on Untappd of all these beers as well as BA.

Austin Street Brewery, Portland Maine, Patina Pale Ale,5.6% ABV, no hop bill listed. Pours the color of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice. Nose and flavor profile of fresh citrus pith, stone fruits and piney resins. A big bold hoppy utterly refreshing Pale I could drink all summer long, superb.

Once again, thanks to GM !

Cheers,

Bud

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13874 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » June 7th, 2016, 9:42 pm

Going to make a visit Thursday AM @ Ale Apothecary in Bend, OR.

Recs?
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Scott Tallman

#13875 Post by Scott Tallman » June 8th, 2016, 10:07 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:Going to make a visit Thursday AM @ Ale Apothecary in Bend, OR.

Recs?
Only tried a few as hard to source in WA. Liked Sahalie & La Tache, which I believe are the flagship beers. Really enjoyed Shirley, You Can't be Serious and Be Still.

However, I find the pricing way too high for what is in the bottle. I like the story behind the brewery, but just can't get over the pricing.
CT - WestbyGod

Scott Tallman

#13876 Post by Scott Tallman » June 8th, 2016, 10:12 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:Figures :)

Tonight's beer is Midnight Sun's Berserker. A barrel-aged stout with molasses and maple syrup, this is the Project Runway equivalent of a hot tranny mess. I love it, but man this isn't for everyone. This has a motor oil like consistency and tastes like a sundae topping crashed into a bourbon stand.
WP_20160602_19_34_39_Rich.jpg
I had this last year whilst in Anchorage. Thought it was good, but don't think I could drink more than an 8-12 oz pour in one sitting.

You need to try Holy Mountain's Midnight Still and the variants, although good luck finding any bottles. They released the variants this past Sat and had people in line 6 hrs before open, and supposedly hundreds in line. I showed up at the tap room Saturday night and was pleased that the coffee/vanilla bean variant was still available on tap and in bottle. I grabbed 2 bottles and had a glass. Really good stuff. There were less than 2 cases left then, so probably sold out by now.
CT - WestbyGod

Brian Lynch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13877 Post by Brian Lynch » June 9th, 2016, 6:42 am

Anchorage / Mikkeller Invasion IPA

Light and refreshing on the palate. Good balance and flavor profile. Pretty pricey at around $20 for 750ml. Good to try it, but it's not the gotta have beer like I heard it was.
Howlin' Wolf (1910 - 1976)

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13878 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » June 9th, 2016, 1:47 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:I find the pricing way too high for what is in the bottle. I like the story behind the brewery, but just can't get over the pricing.
Mixed case of 750s out the door for $400. Will begin drinking this coming holiday season.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Scott Tallman

#13879 Post by Scott Tallman » June 9th, 2016, 4:24 pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
Scott Tallman wrote:I find the pricing way too high for what is in the bottle. I like the story behind the brewery, but just can't get over the pricing.
Mixed case of 750s out the door for $400. Will begin drinking this coming holiday season.
Interested to hear what you bought and your thoughts when you drink. Well made beers for sure, but hard for me to justify the $30+ per 750 ml bottle when other beers I like equally or better are 1/3 to 1/2 less.

Do they serve/sell anything on tap at their place in Bend or just bottle sales?
CT - WestbyGod

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13880 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » June 9th, 2016, 10:22 pm

Just bottle sales still. Very interesting visit and supercool guys.

John Draper

#13881 Post by John Draper » June 12th, 2016, 3:50 pm

Melvin Hubert. More tropical and not as piney compared to their ipa. Very quaffable at 6%
Attachments
image.jpeg
liberstein

Scott Tallman

#13882 Post by Scott Tallman » June 12th, 2016, 5:42 pm

2016 3-Way IPA (Ft George/Melvin/Barley Brown's) - not very piney, which I really appreciated, but too sweet. Ok, but a step down from the 2014 and 2015 3-Way.

pFriem Tropical IPA - a well balanced IPA with a hint of tropical fruit. Solid.
CT - WestbyGod

jbray23

#13883 Post by jbray23 » June 12th, 2016, 11:43 pm

Omnipollo Bianca'- 'Ale with natural flavors and lactose'.
Delicious, very crisp and refreshing. A bit salty with a rounded sour mouthfeel, crisp and clean but not overbearing.
Jason, back itb

Bob Hunnicutt

#13884 Post by Bob Hunnicutt » June 14th, 2016, 4:09 pm

Racer 5 -- at the source
Attachments
Racer160614.jpg
Racer 5 IPA

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13885 Post by Rick Allen » June 14th, 2016, 8:17 pm

Cloverdale?

Bob Hunnicutt

#13886 Post by Bob Hunnicutt » June 14th, 2016, 8:27 pm

Rick Allen wrote:Cloverdale?
lol Just down the road a bit in Healdsburg

ericskitei
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13887 Post by ericskitei » June 14th, 2016, 10:27 pm

Just gettint to this, but was in Denver over the weekend and stopped at some great places. Best beer of the trip was definitely Great Divide, Hercules Double IPA Barrel Aged (Tap room only). Simply fantastic.

Scott Sutherland

#13888 Post by Scott Sutherland » June 16th, 2016, 7:25 am

Have to say I'm loving the Ninkasi lager series again this year. This is the Helles style lager, Helles Belles. I'd love to find more beers like this. I thought I saw a Heater Allen version but can't find it locally.

Good stuff on a warm summer night.

Scott
Attachments
image.jpeg

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13889 Post by Rick Allen » June 16th, 2016, 10:05 am

We made a small amount of Helles in April. It came and went really fast. I took the last case we had at the Brewery home - something I rarely do. We're planning on trying to keep it available for 3 or 4 months next Spring.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13890 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » June 16th, 2016, 10:23 am

my father is in town, so we've been dipping into some aged BBAS:

2013 Figueroa Mountain – 3rd Anniversary BBAOatmealS
2014 Sierra Nevada – BBA Narwhal RIS
New Holland Brewing – "Dragon's Milk" BBAS

The FM was excellent, and the Sierra Nevada was one of the best BBAS I've had.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Terry H a r r i s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13891 Post by Terry H a r r i s » June 16th, 2016, 7:39 pm

Melvin IPA. First I've tried it. Very nice! Making Wyoming proud! [cheers.gif]
Attachments
Melvin IPA.jpg
His wife told a 911 operator that she used a pruner "good for pruning roses" and that James's bleeding wasn't enough to create the "sign of the cross, or write sinner" . . . .

Oh, and I pay money to those ITB

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13892 Post by Travis Fantz » June 19th, 2016, 3:10 pm

Glenn, I stopped by a few places in Bend today with the hopes of trying the Apothecary. Their brewery visit is only by appointment. No luck. But I did try a beer from Kobold at Primal Meats. I guess they are somewhat new in Bend. The Smash IPA was lovely.
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

Chris S p i k e s

#13893 Post by Chris S p i k e s » June 19th, 2016, 6:26 pm

Pliny the Elder - Heard so much about it, but finally tasted it tonight. Worth the hype! A group of us knocked out most of a case of it. Pretty special stuff!

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13894 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 20th, 2016, 5:56 pm

A lot of beer. Highlights:
* Fort George 3 Way IPA - collab with Melvin and Barley Brown. This is GREAT stuff, possibly better than the Boneyard collab. I'm sweeping shelves in the area at $11.99 for a 4 pack.
* Melvin IPA - have posted several times, good stuff. 2x4 is the Double IPA and tasty, as well. Also laid in a keg of their "The (Hop) Shocker." Wyoming based, but they're opening up a local brewery and it's going to take off...
* Georgetown Bodhizafa IPA - won my local watering hole's "IPA Off." I've consumed a concerning amount of this beer, which is similar to Lucille, but a little more resin-y. Just great stuff.

Lots of mediocre beer, including a "Belching Beaver Great Lei Pineapple Colada IPA." So many reasons to read that off the beer list and pass. I had to try it, of course.

Scott Tallman

#13895 Post by Scott Tallman » June 21st, 2016, 12:38 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:A lot of beer. Highlights:
* Fort George 3 Way IPA - collab with Melvin and Barley Brown. This is GREAT stuff, possibly better than the Boneyard collab. I'm sweeping shelves in the area at $11.99 for a 4 pack
I've got one can left you can have gratis if you are in Fremont in the near future. Too sweet for me. Greatly prefer Ft George's Overdub IPA or their Big Guns session. Different strokes. With the way Ft George distributes 3 Way, you should have no problem restocking all summer long.
CT - WestbyGod

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13896 Post by Andrew Kotowski » June 21st, 2016, 4:35 pm

Scott Tallman wrote:
Andrew Kotowski wrote:A lot of beer. Highlights:
* Fort George 3 Way IPA - collab with Melvin and Barley Brown. This is GREAT stuff, possibly better than the Boneyard collab. I'm sweeping shelves in the area at $11.99 for a 4 pack
I've got one can left you can have gratis if you are in Fremont in the near future. Too sweet for me. Greatly prefer Ft George's Overdub IPA or their Big Guns session. Different strokes. With the way Ft George distributes 3 Way, you should have no problem restocking all summer long.
Drinking one, as I type, at Thirsty Hop in Kirkland :D Nice little place if you're ever rolling Eastside; feels like a Starbucks, but with beer.

Gerry Morrisey

#13897 Post by Gerry Morrisey » June 22nd, 2016, 7:33 pm

What a good son gives his dad on Father's day.
Attachments
20160622_192836.jpg

Brian Lynch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13898 Post by Brian Lynch » June 23rd, 2016, 7:58 am

Jolly Pumpkin/Tired Hands Alien Church 1004. Best of 2016 so far.
Howlin' Wolf (1910 - 1976)

Matthew Brown

#13899 Post by Matthew Brown » June 23rd, 2016, 9:45 pm

image.jpeg
The Chav who mostly isn't.

Nancy Dolce
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13900 Post by Nancy Dolce » June 26th, 2016, 2:01 pm

image.jpeg
Lagunitas Cappuccino stout
My son-in-law brought this to our place yesterday. It's a limited release. Quite pleasant.
Nancy Dolce
North San Diego County

Return to “Beer and Spirits”