What BEER are you drinking?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Message
Author
User avatar
Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4645
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:10 pm
Location: Arlington, TX

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3201 Post by Joe Dulworth » August 21st, 2011, 12:31 pm

Schneider & Sons Aventinus
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

User avatar
Jorge Henriquez
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 14269
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:11 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3202 Post by Jorge Henriquez » August 21st, 2011, 1:26 pm

Joe Dulworth wrote:Schneider & Sons Aventinus
The Doppel or Eisbock? In any case…… [thumbs-up.gif]
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

User avatar
Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4645
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:10 pm
Location: Arlington, TX

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3203 Post by Joe Dulworth » August 21st, 2011, 3:00 pm

Doppel
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

User avatar
Joe Hauck
Posts: 3982
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:50 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3204 Post by Joe Hauck » August 21st, 2011, 3:15 pm

Joe Dulworth wrote:Doppel
Nice!

I didn't get by that shop this week Joe, but will soon. I'll let you know.
One of the few good things about modern times " if you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." Kurt Vonnegut

User avatar
Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4645
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:10 pm
Location: Arlington, TX

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3205 Post by Joe Dulworth » August 21st, 2011, 3:35 pm

Thanks Joe!
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

Dan.Gord0n
Posts: 2660
Joined: May 10th, 2010, 10:47 am

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3206 Post by Dan.Gord0n » August 21st, 2011, 6:32 pm

Just tried a new one (for me) tonight - we were grilling burgers and chicken out on the deck and my sister brought over a Belgian beer called Kwak - not sure if there is more than one bottling but it says "Traditional Belgian Special Ale" under the name - never seen it before but I really enjoyed it - I liked the depth and heavier aspects but perhaps a bit "sweet" if that is the right way to put it - overall quite good in my opinion and one that I'll look for in the future to try again. Maybe a bit heavy for an August night but everyone really enjoyed it. Had it along with a Sofie which was a bit more refreshing in a summer way....

So, what is the story on Kwak? Anyone like this one?

Milos Cam-Robb
Posts: 359
Joined: February 20th, 2009, 9:27 pm
Location: East Bay, CA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3207 Post by Milos Cam-Robb » August 22nd, 2011, 9:11 am

Dan Gordon wrote:Just tried a new one (for me) tonight - we were grilling burgers and chicken out on the deck and my sister brought over a Belgian beer called Kwak - not sure if there is more than one bottling but it says "Traditional Belgian Special Ale" under the name - never seen it before but I really enjoyed it - I liked the depth and heavier aspects but perhaps a bit "sweet" if that is the right way to put it - overall quite good in my opinion and one that I'll look for in the future to try again. Maybe a bit heavy for an August night but everyone really enjoyed it. Had it along with a Sofie which was a bit more refreshing in a summer way....

So, what is the story on Kwak? Anyone like this one?
Awesome beer, and if you get it on draft, it comes in a crazy glass. Made by Bosteels, who also make Triple Karmeliet and Deus, also both wonderful.

Milos Cam-Robb
Posts: 359
Joined: February 20th, 2009, 9:27 pm
Location: East Bay, CA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3208 Post by Milos Cam-Robb » August 22nd, 2011, 9:20 am

Went to Beer Revolution yesterday and between three of us, we enjoyed

Iron Springs Black Magic Rye
Mikkeller White Wine Barrel Black Hole
Allagash Blonde
Dustbowl Rasberry Tramp (something like that)
Oakland Brewing Co, Mad Adder IPA
Unita Detour Double IPA (bottle)
Chouffe
Ommegang Hennepin
Green Flash Summer Saison

awesome afternoon...highlights were Chouffe and the Mikkeller, which actually carried itself pretty well despite having so much going on in it.

User avatar
Jorge Henriquez
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 14269
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:11 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3209 Post by Jorge Henriquez » August 22nd, 2011, 10:07 am

Last night at the Jets-Benglas pre-season game (under a downpour!):

Tailgating in the parking lot

Goose Island Matilda - Damn, if that's not one delicious and complex beer. Will try to store some for a few years.
Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Wild - Yum!
Founders Red's Rye PA - spicier than I recall, still kick-ass.
Sierra Nevada Glissade Golden Bock - super flavorful, smooth and complex.

Inside the stadium

Bass Pale Ale - boring
2 x Hoegaarden Wit - nothing much to say aside from always dependable and a lifesaver in the land of proffesional sports arenas pushing Bud & Bud Lite

At $11.75 a pop inside the stadium, next time, I will definitely get my fill outside first. Yikes.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7611
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3210 Post by Scott Butler » August 22nd, 2011, 11:12 am

Milos Cam-Robb wrote:
Dan Gordon wrote:Just tried a new one (for me) tonight - we were grilling burgers and chicken out on the deck and my sister brought over a Belgian beer called Kwak - not sure if there is more than one bottling but it says "Traditional Belgian Special Ale" under the name - never seen it before but I really enjoyed it - I liked the depth and heavier aspects but perhaps a bit "sweet" if that is the right way to put it - overall quite good in my opinion and one that I'll look for in the future to try again. Maybe a bit heavy for an August night but everyone really enjoyed it. Had it along with a Sofie which was a bit more refreshing in a summer way....

So, what is the story on Kwak? Anyone like this one?
Awesome beer, and if you get it on draft, it comes in a crazy glass. Made by Bosteels, who also make Triple Karmeliet and Deus, also both wonderful.

Yeh, Kwak is tremendous!
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7611
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3211 Post by Scott Butler » August 22nd, 2011, 11:13 am

Milos Cam-Robb wrote:

Mikkeller White Wine Barrel Black Hole


awesome afternoon...highlights were Chouffe and the Mikkeller, which actually carried itself pretty well despite having so much going on in it.
These wine barrel aged Mikkellers are just wonderful. Super concentrated and pricey, but worth it.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
Joe Hauck
Posts: 3982
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:50 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3212 Post by Joe Hauck » August 22nd, 2011, 11:45 am

Scott Butler wrote:
Milos Cam-Robb wrote:

Mikkeller White Wine Barrel Black Hole


awesome afternoon...highlights were Chouffe and the Mikkeller, which actually carried itself pretty well despite having so much going on in it.
These wine barrel aged Mikkellers are just wonderful. Super concentrated and pricey, but worth it.
Only ever had the regular and tequila barrel which are just huge. White wine barrel sounds interesting..... The Black Hole series and Black Tie will really kick your ass!
One of the few good things about modern times " if you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." Kurt Vonnegut

User avatar
Scott VZ
Posts: 196
Joined: May 8th, 2010, 10:20 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3213 Post by Scott VZ » August 22nd, 2011, 12:28 pm

Just finished my last bottle of "Hair of the Tiger," a red ale that my girlfriend and I cooked up at the beginning of summer:
Hair of the Tiger.jpg
Scott Brewing.jpg
It was pretty much everything you look for in a red ale. It was our first attempt, so we didn't deviate from the recipe, but turned out perfect, slightly hoppy, kind of malty, great balance, and a good summer beer for the both of us (she likes hops, and I like malt)

We're nearing our one year point, and we're currently making a barleywine for age-ability (plans to drink at anniversaries and special occasions):
barleywine.jpg
Scott Van Zile
Boston, MA

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7611
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3214 Post by Scott Butler » August 22nd, 2011, 12:36 pm

Joe Hauck wrote:
Scott Butler wrote:
Milos Cam-Robb wrote:

Mikkeller White Wine Barrel Black Hole


awesome afternoon...highlights were Chouffe and the Mikkeller, which actually carried itself pretty well despite having so much going on in it.
These wine barrel aged Mikkellers are just wonderful. Super concentrated and pricey, but worth it.
Only ever had the regular and tequila barrel which are just huge. White wine barrel sounds interesting..... The Black Hole series and Black Tie will really kick your ass!
Yes they will! A very situational beer, but so good in the colder months...when you don't have to drive anywhere... [drinkers.gif]
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
Jorge Henriquez
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 14269
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:11 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3215 Post by Jorge Henriquez » August 22nd, 2011, 12:55 pm

NICE dry hopping Scott! Been plucking Cascade hops from the one plant that produced a boatload in my yard this year.

Image
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

User avatar
Brett Glasscock
Posts: 313
Joined: December 30th, 2010, 12:03 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3216 Post by Brett Glasscock » August 22nd, 2011, 1:37 pm

A new one from The Bruery. Here is their description:

Snicklefritz is a Belgian-style golden ale that has been spiced with several different citrus rinds like tangerine, grapefruit and lemon, has been aged on oak cubes and has had some other secreet spices added in as well.

This was pretty complex but had some spice in the finish that I wasn't crazy about. Couldn't peg the spice though. This is a well made beer that I really enjoyed except for that finish that just didn't sit well with me.

User avatar
Joe Hauck
Posts: 3982
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:50 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3217 Post by Joe Hauck » August 22nd, 2011, 4:45 pm

Brett Glasscock wrote:A new one from The Bruery. Here is their description:

Snicklefritz is a Belgian-style golden ale that has been spiced with several different citrus rinds like tangerine, grapefruit and lemon, has been aged on oak cubes and has had some other secreet spices added in as well.

This was pretty complex but had some spice in the finish that I wasn't crazy about. Couldn't peg the spice though. This is a well made beer that I really enjoyed except for that finish that just didn't sit well with me.
Man that looks really good Brett. I don't think they release the Provision series outside of California though. Are you a Reserve Society member? If so are you buying all your Black Tuesday and barrel aged Autumn Maple? flirtysmile
One of the few good things about modern times " if you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." Kurt Vonnegut

User avatar
Joe Hauck
Posts: 3982
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:50 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3218 Post by Joe Hauck » August 22nd, 2011, 4:58 pm

Image

Last bottle of Fritz and Ken's- it's been winking at me for a couple of weeks and I finally gave in.
One of the few good things about modern times " if you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." Kurt Vonnegut

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7611
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3219 Post by Scott Butler » August 22nd, 2011, 5:31 pm

How is it drinking Joe? I have 2 left.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
Joe Hauck
Posts: 3982
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:50 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3220 Post by Joe Hauck » August 22nd, 2011, 5:40 pm

I don't think it's even budged. I was expecting the hops to have calmed a little by now, but to me it tastes the same as the first bottle I had sometime last year. Maybe a little creamier than I remember..... still damn good!
One of the few good things about modern times " if you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us." Kurt Vonnegut

User avatar
Scott VZ
Posts: 196
Joined: May 8th, 2010, 10:20 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3221 Post by Scott VZ » August 23rd, 2011, 9:54 am

Jorge Henriquez wrote:NICE dry hopping Scott! Been plucking Cascade hops from the one plant that produced a boatload in my yard this year.
Her dad has a couple of vines, but they've outgrown their metal framework, and started climbing ropes that go from about 5 feet up at 15 feet from the house all the way to the second floor (he put them up to see how high they'd go). There's probably 75 feet of vine overgrowth, and full of bud.

I'm pretty excited, I'm slowly coming around to liking hops, but my first experiences were so beyond unbalanced that I just end up ordering something else, or picking up bottles that I know whenever I'm out because I know I'll be safe.

Also, even though Sake is generally translated as rice wine, it's mostly a brewed beverage... does anyone know of a sake thread on the board, or should one be started?
Scott Van Zile
Boston, MA

User avatar
Brett Glasscock
Posts: 313
Joined: December 30th, 2010, 12:03 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3222 Post by Brett Glasscock » August 23rd, 2011, 11:59 am

Joe Hauck wrote:
Brett Glasscock wrote:A new one from The Bruery. Here is their description:

Snicklefritz is a Belgian-style golden ale that has been spiced with several different citrus rinds like tangerine, grapefruit and lemon, has been aged on oak cubes and has had some other secreet spices added in as well.

This was pretty complex but had some spice in the finish that I wasn't crazy about. Couldn't peg the spice though. This is a well made beer that I really enjoyed except for that finish that just didn't sit well with me.
Man that looks really good Brett. I don't think they release the Provision series outside of California though. Are you a Reserve Society member? If so are you buying all your Black Tuesday and barrel aged Autumn Maple? flirtysmile
Yeah, the Provisions series is not distributed at all, even in California. Only available at their Provisions store and their tasting room.

Yes, I am a member but sorry - I will be getting all of my allocations. I'm really looking forward to trying that BA Autumn Maple. I like the regular version, so one would assume I'd like the BA version too. They also did a 100% Brett version of Autumn Maple. It would be pretty educational to compare all three versions. An expensive lesson, though!

B.A. Blevins
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 352
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3223 Post by B.A. Blevins » August 23rd, 2011, 6:15 pm

Schlafly Biere de Garde, a little more sweet malt than I normally like in my saison, but from the few beers I have had from Schlafly seems to a common theme of been somewhat sweet and forward. Decent beer overall I guess.

User avatar
Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10948
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:09 pm
Location: OC, CA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3224 Post by Cris Whetstone » August 23rd, 2011, 9:52 pm

Joe Hauck wrote:Last bottle of Fritz and Ken's- it's been winking at me for a couple of weeks and I finally gave in.
[welldone.gif]

I'm holding on to my last couple for a while longer.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

User avatar
Mark F r a n k s
Posts: 2986
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 6:52 am
Location: A little north of hell

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3225 Post by Mark F r a n k s » August 24th, 2011, 6:27 am

Had a Shiner "Bock" while on vacation in Myrtle Beach, great beer! Light, hoppy, delicious. Funny to see that same beer being drunk on the latest episode of "True Blood".
"Valar Morghulis"

Milos Cam-Robb
Posts: 359
Joined: February 20th, 2009, 9:27 pm
Location: East Bay, CA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3226 Post by Milos Cam-Robb » August 24th, 2011, 6:10 pm

drinking Deschutes Conflux Series No. 2, collaboration with Boulevard Brewing Co. It is labeled as a "White IPA", and is brewed with orange peel and coriander

Its really good, and just that, a White IPA. It has the hop character, but also the light weight and citrus/spice character of a white ale.

really good, maybe the best beer I've ever had from Deschutes

User avatar
Jason Hagen
Posts: 5301
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 10:37 am
Location: SoCal

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3227 Post by Jason Hagen » August 25th, 2011, 12:26 pm

Milos Cam-Robb wrote:drinking Deschutes Conflux Series No. 2, collaboration with Boulevard Brewing Co. It is labeled as a "White IPA", and is brewed with orange peel and coriander

Its really good, and just that, a White IPA. It has the hop character, but also the light weight and citrus/spice character of a white ale.

really good, maybe the best beer I've ever had from Deschutes
Drank lots of that while in Boise. Grabbed a 750 of the Boulevard bottling.

Heading to Deschutes on Sunday! [training.gif]

Jason

User avatar
Jason Hagen
Posts: 5301
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 10:37 am
Location: SoCal

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3228 Post by Jason Hagen » August 25th, 2011, 12:27 pm

Joe Hauck wrote:I don't think it's even budged. I was expecting the hops to have calmed a little by now, but to me it tastes the same as the first bottle I had sometime last year. Maybe a little creamier than I remember..... still damn good!
Thanks for the update. Waiting until it cools down to revisit my next bottle.

Chris Oxford
Posts: 417
Joined: May 3rd, 2010, 10:56 am
Location: Salida, CO

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3229 Post by Chris Oxford » August 25th, 2011, 3:32 pm

Bought a 4 pack of Boulevards Dark Truth stout today......even though it's almost 100 in DT Denver I may pop one tonight! Also picked up a single of Green Flashes Hop Head Red.

User avatar
Jason Hagen
Posts: 5301
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 10:37 am
Location: SoCal

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3230 Post by Jason Hagen » August 25th, 2011, 5:47 pm

Tumbler is back!

User avatar
Jorge Henriquez
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 14269
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:11 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3231 Post by Jorge Henriquez » August 25th, 2011, 5:56 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:Tumbler is back!
Had some last night. As good as last year. [highfive.gif]
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

User avatar
Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10948
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:09 pm
Location: OC, CA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3232 Post by Cris Whetstone » August 26th, 2011, 10:01 am

Hangar 24 Alt-Bier - 6.0% - From a local SoCal brewery in the IE. They say "this red ale is a unique version of a Northern German alt-bier. Not sure if all that is true but the beer was really good! Lots of wheat grain malt aroma and flavor as you would get in a brown ale but there is just the right amount of hops to give it subtle complexity on the nose and make the finish real clean and focused. Hints of caramel roaming around. One of my local shops just recently added several of their products to the lineup so I will be trying more from this house.

Mad River Brewing Steelhead Extra Pale Ale - 5.6% - I've been enjoying some of their brews recently, especially the Jamaica Red Ale. This was a very citrusy light pale ale. There is some sort of thistle like notes around. I prefer more body in my ales. Meh.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

User avatar
Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4645
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:10 pm
Location: Arlington, TX

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3233 Post by Joe Dulworth » August 26th, 2011, 2:57 pm

Saint Arnold Octoberfest. First batch of the season just out.
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

K e v i n B.
Posts: 557
Joined: December 7th, 2009, 11:16 am

What BEER are you drinking?

#3234 Post by K e v i n B. » August 26th, 2011, 3:35 pm

Slummin' it with a Miller lite tall boy on the train back from work.
B-y-r-n-e

User avatar
Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10948
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:09 pm
Location: OC, CA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3235 Post by Cris Whetstone » August 26th, 2011, 6:56 pm

Finally picked up the Paulaner Hefe in the can. Same good beer though this one does come off a bit bigger than I am used to this beer. I'm sure it is just my palate or a batch issue rather than the container. Noted for further research.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

User avatar
Jason Hagen
Posts: 5301
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 10:37 am
Location: SoCal

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3236 Post by Jason Hagen » August 26th, 2011, 9:07 pm

Batch 007. Not even up on their site yet. Damn good on a day that reached 105 and aint coolin down.

Image

User avatar
Jorge Henriquez
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 14269
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:11 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3237 Post by Jorge Henriquez » August 27th, 2011, 2:26 pm

Image

All kinds of good here! Boozy, sweet, complex, aromatic, vanilla. Delicious!
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

User avatar
William Segui
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2649
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:36 pm

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3238 Post by William Segui » August 27th, 2011, 8:22 pm

Sierra Nevada Ovila Saison - spicy, maybe some cedar. Nice clean, long finish. Reminiscent of Chimay Red, a beer I rather enjoy.

B.A. Blevins
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 352
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3239 Post by B.A. Blevins » August 28th, 2011, 6:15 pm

New Belgium Lips of Faith - Clutch

Small taste lastnight at a friends house, lots of yeast to keep it from being too much. Liked it as it reminded me of a stout at first then the sourness kicked in.

User avatar
Jorge Henriquez
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 14269
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:11 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3240 Post by Jorge Henriquez » August 28th, 2011, 6:47 pm

Also had last night:

Left Hand Milk Stout - a big meh! Pours with very little carbonation; dark dark brown verging on black. Able to perceive strong notes of roasted coffee and………not much else. Mouthfeel is lacking due to the minuscule carbonation. An easy pass.

Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA - this really does not disappoint for me, ever. A gorgeous dark amber color with a thick white head. Excellent hop & malt characters that are always in balance. Delicious.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7611
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3241 Post by Scott Butler » August 29th, 2011, 10:31 am

Jason Hagen wrote:Batch 007. Not even up on their site yet. Damn good on a day that reached 105 and aint coolin down.

Image

I will be at the brewery in November....cannot wait to get my hands on some of this!
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7611
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3242 Post by Scott Butler » August 29th, 2011, 10:32 am

Brett Glasscock wrote:2008 and it was awesome. I think this could improve for a long time. One of my faves.
I am super jealous! I am going to find a case of Bourbon County when the new batch come out, and age a few.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7611
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3243 Post by Scott Butler » August 29th, 2011, 4:06 pm

Not to be outdone byJorge...and yum!! A very interesting beer. Lightweight, yet complex and carries the boozy component very well!
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7611
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3244 Post by Scott Butler » August 29th, 2011, 4:31 pm

One negative....comes in a 750, 11% abv, and tastes so good it might be gone in 15 minutes... [drinkers.gif]
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
Jorge Henriquez
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 14269
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:11 pm
Location: Westchester County, NY

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3245 Post by Jorge Henriquez » August 29th, 2011, 4:40 pm

Hahahaha! Nice Scott. Pic is blurry; what date is the batch? I have the June 2010 in my cellar that I am holding until next summer when I visit the brewery again. Promised the tasting room staff (super cute girl among them) that I'd bring it and open it with them.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

User avatar
Scott Butler
Posts: 7611
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am
Location: Greenville, SC

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3246 Post by Scott Butler » August 29th, 2011, 4:48 pm

Yeh, my phone isn't great with vibration control. It is May 2011, and I really like it. Gotta get another and lay it down.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

User avatar
Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4296
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 10:13 am
Location: McMinnville, OR

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3247 Post by Rick Allen » August 30th, 2011, 10:45 am

I went to the Green Dragon's Nano Brewfest over the weekend. Lots of interesting beers (they were pouring our Pils), including a lot of Belgian-style beers. I really liked the Upright 7 and the Ambacht Dark Farmhouse Ale.

User avatar
Jason Hagen
Posts: 5301
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 10:37 am
Location: SoCal

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3248 Post by Jason Hagen » August 30th, 2011, 11:24 am

Been hanging out at Deschutes Brew Pub. That place is awesome. Around 25 Deschutes brews on tap. Many are not even on BA or RB.

Highlights.

The Stoic
Solace Rose
Twin Pilllars
Black Butte XXIII
Chainbreaker White IPA
Champils


Dang. That place can get me in trouble. If all goes well I'll make it back 1 more time.

Side note. May just be timing but I thought the Boulevard bottling of Conflux 2 was better than the Deschutes.

I will say, this has made me a far bigger Deschutes fan. Too bad much of the stuff doesn't make it to bottle, much less Cali.

Jason

User avatar
Brett Glasscock
Posts: 313
Joined: December 30th, 2010, 12:03 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3249 Post by Brett Glasscock » August 30th, 2011, 11:42 am

Nice. What styles are Solace Rose and Twin Pillars? Not listed on BA. Untappd lists Solace as a Flanders Oud Bruin, but who knows.

User avatar
Brett Glasscock
Posts: 313
Joined: December 30th, 2010, 12:03 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: What BEER are you drinking?

#3250 Post by Brett Glasscock » August 30th, 2011, 11:47 am

Never mind. Found them on their website. The Solace Rose sounds awesome!

Solace Rose
This Flander's style sour brown has time on its side. Aged for 26 months, this blend of 4 dissident casks each with a different Brett yeast strain and a small amount of soured black weiss reveals the virtue of patience.

Post Reply

Return to “Beer and Spirits”