WTF Happened to my Scotch

The other night we a couple glasses of wine with dinner and after dinner I decided I wanted a Scotch instead of more wine. My half gallon of Dewars is a little old, 4, 5, years old and the bottle was opened back then. It’s been probably 3 or 4 years since I had any Scotch from that bottle. I generally have a Scotch before dinner when we eat out, though that isn’t often either. So I pour myself a Scotch and water with ice. The first, second and third sips it was sweet like a bourbon. Had to open a new bottle. Has anybody had an experience like this? Can Scotch become sweet over the years after being opened? [shrug.gif]

No. Dewars is just on the sweet side. Maybe you’ve been drinking nicer whisky recently?

This is the direct effect of oxidation and evaporation.

Depending on the scotch ( usually the chill filtered ones are more subject to this) it will take more or less time but! Once a bottle is opened it oxidise and the reaction can change the flavor profile quite a bit. I discovered this about 10 yeas ago with a Macallan 10yrs, it was simply flat I thought I was drinking a diluted sample. The other phenomenon is evaporation, alchool evaporate without much encouragement. So every thime you open it you ‘change the air’ and restart the evaporation process (as up to a point the aire of the bottle become saturated).

From my experience, when you reach the half of a bottle yu should put a time stamp ( max a year) to empty the bottle. If you have a special one then buy some nitrogen and a special film (used by botanists to fix branches) to seal the cork.

Hope this helps