Roggenbier

I was at Hi Wire brewing in Asheville this past weekend and tried their Roggenbier. It is a style of beer I have never heard of, and it was excellent as was most of what I had there. Sadly the Roggenbier was a one batch affair and not bottled.
The style is a German rye beer and can be made with weizen yeast (what I had) or with lager yeasts. The beer was light colored, spicy complex with a banana finish. Everything I could want in a beer.
It looks like either brewers have experimented with this style although I don’t see any available commercially now in the US- but if you know otherwise I’d like to hear about it.
Anyone have experience with this style of beer?

One place in Seattle made one last year - Lower Case Brewing. I liked it a lot. Alas, long gone.

We usually make some kind of Roggenbier every year. Last year we brewed Blockhouse, an oak-smoked wheat and rye beer that won a gold at the Oregon Beer Awards. We don’t brew with Rye more often because it’s an absolute pain in the ass to brew with. It’s extremely gummy, which makes it difficult to effectively lauter.

I wonder if it’s difficulty to work with is why we don’t see more beers in this style? Regardless I am happy to try some of yours next time you do one (assuming you can ship here)