What Amaro / Digestif / Bitter are you drinking?

I’ve really been trying to expand my search for Amaro type drinks and some additional ones are finally coming into our state now. I love Fernet and really haven’t found anything to beat it yet as it’s bitter level is off the charts good without sweetness. Just bought a bottle of Braulio which I’ve been enjoying as well. Some others I’ve tried have just been too much on the sweet side though.

Cappelletti Has been a nice find as a Campari alternative and also seems to carry less sweetness as well.

I was recently at a bar if SF that had old old Fernet, does Anybody know where you can source these? I’m assuming auctions…Are ancient bottles any different or is it just romance?

I like Braulio quite a bit. Fernet Branca is too medicinal for me. Astor Place Wines and Spirits in NYC has a very good Amaro section. I forget the name, but I bought a bottle of Amaro from Chambers Street that was made in Brooklyn and it was outstanding.

Great topic. There are so many amari out there offering up a full variety of flavor profiles.

Fernet Branca is a bit too medicinal for me. It does, however, work as a good digestif. It has a heavy mint-eucalyptus note that can make it seem medicinal.

I like the citrus based amari such as Montenegro, Averna (Sicily), Vecchio Amaro del Capo and Nonino.
Nonino is one of my preferred versions. Seems to have a more pronounced alcohol element but is elegant. It is made from grappa and sees some cask aging.

Montenegro, with its sweetness and lighter profile, is a good introductory amaro, with flavors of orange peel and clove.
Averna has a stronger herbal profile with a nice licorice note. It has a thicker viscosity to it. Averna is a nice addition to making a Manhattan cocktail.

Cynar, made from artichokes, is also a good introductory amaro. It has a caramel style sweetness to counter the bitterness.

Meletti is quite good. It is made using saffron and has a brown spice profile - cinnamon and allspice - along with some anise and orange peel. A little bit of cola flavor too.

Rammazotti seems to be widely available (Pernod Ricard family). It shows flavors of licorice, orange peel, vanilla and star anise.

Braulio is a robust amaro - based on a recipe from the Italian Alps - and brings a pine and herbal and mint profile to the party. It is an acquired taste.

One of my favorites in the cinnamon/orange peel flavor group is CioCiaro. It has a nice thickness to it with the bitter orange profile and a hint of herbs.

Varnelli Amaro dell’Erborista. Tannic and bitter.

I use Nonino in my Paper Planes.

Paper Planes?
M.I.A.?

Nonino is good stuff.

Nonino
Cynar

Also a couple from some small craft distilleries

forthave spirits “red” aperitivo is awesome. and perhaps the best campari subs i’ve come across.

One I like to rotate in with Fernet Branca and Montenegro is EXR from The Bitter Truth.

In addition, I have a French one at home which I also enjoy, but the name is escaping me at the moment.

Braulio is my favorite. Super herbal but not too high in alcohol. Distribution seems to be getting better.

I like Averna. It’s Amaro for beginners.

I have a 50ml bottle of Fernet Branca with about 48ml left. It may remain that way.

Already some new names here for me, Astor does seem to have a nice selection on their website of new to me stuff too. Any other good retailers out there and do you think there’s any concern with heat damage shipping these over the summer?

this may be hard to find in Ohio but I love the Bruto Americano from St George’s. K&L usually carries it. Wonderful on the rocks with a splash of soda water and a citrus twist.

There’s also Amaro Angeleno, which is a local LA-area thing – more orangey flavor but also fun to try.
These usually run in the mid-20% abv, so I personally wouldn’t risk shipping in hot weather like right now.

This is the craft one I prefer. Even use it in a Spritz and a Negroni. Binny’s here in Chicago has it.

Jamie Kutch made me a drink from a nearly 50 y/o bottle of Campari.

It was delicious.
20180729_132205_HDR~2.jpg

That’s when Campari was real Campari, now it’s just crap…

Where are old bottles of liquor traded?

If you want an extreme in bitterness give Elixir Novasalus a try. I love all things bitter and it took me three tries before I could enjoy this one. After the initial shock, it’s really quite extraordinary in depth.

A beautiful concoction is equal parts Fernet Branca, Rammazotti, and Averna.

Outstanding stuff.
68CB9B0F-96CF-463F-9FAA-308CB57B213F.jpeg

1 Like

The French elixir I mentioned above is Bigallet “China-China.”

I went to an amaro tasting a few months back at the local shop. These were all of the “herbal elixir” style, not the Campari style. Montenegro and China-China stood out for me there as both tasty and as different enough from Fernet Branca and EXR to form a nice rotation.