Beer people have OFFICIALLY lost their minds....

IMG_3413.JPG
I initially was going to pass on the preorder for this, but I like the brewery and give everything a chance.

One month of Insta-hype later, and I could flip this case easily on the sly for $1,000 online. And this is with many reports that the beer is ‘just OK’. [swoon.gif]

When I learned awhile back what aficionados were paying for certain Toppling Goliath stouts, I was literally gobsmacked.

Then again, it’s like Jordans/Nikes or Yeezys. Doesn’t really impact the far majority of folks…

Yeezys don’t have a 10 week shelf life, either…

Scarcity is an amazing thing.

No less scarce than any of their other pint can releases that we sold for $12.99/4pack, which were all better beers I was willing to sell. This is purely the mewling hoards following Instagram hype.

That Shenandoah Valley education is really paying off.

::likebutton::

Sorry.

Peoplez be crazee. #nofilter

Sell sell sell

Sell that ASAP, there’s always a better beer around the corner and you won’t miss it one bit. It’s all about bragging rights on the label with beer not much about what’s in the bottle.

Bottles of 3 Chiefs pastry stouts ( FAHA mostly ) are going for upwards of $750 per 750ml bottle. INSANITY. Saturday at the Monkish anniveray party they had one case of Side Projects BBT, one 2oz pour, people arrived 4-5 hours early so they could secure a 2oz pour of the 90 or so pours avaialable. When I mentioned that I had a few bottles of the 2018 BBT at home I had at least 10 serious offers of $ 300-400 for a bottle. Stout game is serious biz.

Cheers,

Bud

THis is an IPA. With marshmallows.

Understand, just letting you in on the insanity for other styles.

Cheers,

Bud

I think Matt’s point, and I hope he corrects me if I’m wrong is, this beer sounds disgusting, and likely is.

Not so much disgusting. Some breweries have done pretty decent beers in this vein (though calling them IPAs is stupid marketing since IPA drinkers will find them too sweet, and those that WOULD lime them are likely to avoid them because it says IPA on the can. But I digress…)
I can even get behind the high end nature of Imperial Stouts or Cantillon, somewhat, because they usually have a long life span AND usually some sort of track record.
IPA
First time brewed
With marshmallows
Three weeks plus of Instagram and social media
$100 a can
=Madness

New money = sweet.

Cheers,

Bud

The price is crazy, but I don’t think calling these IPAs is necessarily stupid marketing. A category of sweet, less overtly hoppy, dessert IPAs has clearly emerged over the past few years and is now widely recognized, at least by beer people. This style doesn’t seem to be struggling to sell. I can sometimes get behind some examples, if only for one can, when they have a discernible fruit profile and avoid being cloying. Others are just way too much for me. It might make more sense to call it something else, and I am seeing them described as “dessert IPAs” at this point, so maybe that’s where it goes?

Bell’s Hopslam has been around for awhile, and the honey they add to it certainly “masks” that it’s a 10% ABV DIPA.

Now while I’ve enjoyed Hopslam, I’m not inclined to search out something more exotic like an IPA with marshmallows. I’d sell in a heartbeat, but then again I likely would’ve never taken the plunge to begin with…

I would not put Hopslam into this category. Most of these styles of beers, whatever you want to refer to them as are adjunct beers, very much like their cousin the pastry stout. The example I see locally from Monkish is their " Space Cookie "series that include’s cookies, cream and fruit purees in the recipe. I couldn’t imagine drinking an entire 16oz can of these pastry IPAs.

Cheers,

Bud