Making a good Vesper

Hi, All. I had my first Vesper the other day at a local restaurant and loved it. I didn’t take the time to inquire as to what booze they used, but I’d like to defer to the experts here. I know it’s gin, vodka, and Lillet. What, in your esteemed opininos, would make the best combination? I assume a gin that’s not too piney. I know next to nothing about Lillet. Vodka is, well, vodka and most of decent quality would work fine I imagine.

I’d love your recommendations. [cheers.gif]

I use Cocchi Americano in lieu of Lillet.

Well, if you want the original, it’s “three measures of Gordon’s, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it’s ice-cold, then add a large thin slice of lemon peel.” Mr. Bond goes on to recommend a grain-based vodka instead of the potato vodka he’d been served.

Kina Lillet had quinine in it, so Cocchi Americano, being a little more bitter, is considered a better substitute than Lillet Blanc.

Try Plymouth Navy Strength or a similar high-proof gin.

You are a winner as far as this is concerned: 5 Best Kina Lillet Substitutes for the Extinct Aperitif - Thrillist

Thanks for the link, Eric! I’m now fascinated by the Jean de Lillet Reserve and the Kina. Now to track some down…

Thanks, All. On tap for this weekend!

I’ve never had the original Kina Lillet, but this will be a little more heavy than Cocchi Americano. It will give the Vesper a little more depth, which some may prefer.

https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1094437

Did a nice one this weekend: Tito’s Vodka (1 part), Plymouth Navy Strength Gin (2 parts), Lillet Blanc (1/2 part). Shaken, served up, with a twist. Delicious.