Best Spirits QPR?? -- Diplomatico Rum Riserva Exclusiva

I’ve been drinking this rum for years now, and I’ve yet to find a better QPR spirit, period.

So what are some serious competitors I should try?

I’m pretty partial to the Diplomatico Reserva, but if I had to select a rum on QPR I’d go with Appleton Estate 12 year old which I get for 3/4 of the price of the Diplomatica. The caveat here is that I live in a different country to you, so your pricing might be very different to mine. (I’ll be paying a lot more than you are for either of these).
For whisky, I’d nominate the Adbheg 10 year old. Gin is harder, but for me it is probably a local (to me) one , the standard Four Pillars Gin.

I like Diplomatico rum too . Their ‘riserva’ is well priced. However, their 2000 vintage rum was the best rum i ever had. Little pricey but worth it.
Others such as Kraken, mount gay, ron zacapa did not appeal to my palate.

Have yet to try the Appleton that Paul mentioned.

However, I don’t drink rum that often. Or Gin, or Vodka for that matter.
So the QPR would rest with some single malt whisky as it is my favourite spirit.
Ardberg 10 is a good choice as per Paul.others:
Glenfarclas 15
Oban 14
Clynelish 14
Lagavulin 16

Paul, I’ve had Appleton 12 and liked it, but it’s been a long time, I should revisit it. It’s pretty much the same price as the Diplomatico here in the US, but that of course will vary from state to state. Doesn’t look like it’s even imported here into Oregon. IIRC, it’s a different style of rum than the Diplomatico, so there’s room for both on the shelf.

Sanjay – I may have to hunt down a bottle of that vintage rum. Sounds fantastic. But, yeah, also not a fan of Kraken, Mount Gay, Ron Zacapa. And while Scotch is also my favorite, I think the actual quality of the Diplomatico matches any scotch that’s twice its price, or nearly so.

You drink this on ice?

My Dad and a few friends drink Barcelo Imperial as their QPR sipper. My Dad finds the Diplomatico a bit too sweet.

I’ll have to try the Barcelo, Albert, thanks for the heads up.

Albert, get your dad a bottle of Brugal 1888 for a much higher caliber drink. It’s about $15 than the Barcelo.

My money is on Agave de Cortes Mezcal Reposado. Amazingly good for under $50.

No, I drink them neat. In a chilled glass if the day is warm.

Probably Blanton for me, it’s the only one of the more limited ones I can routinely get at retail. It’s our house whisky.

Great rec Jorge. Actually my Dad’s name is also Jorge! I have gotten him the 1888 and he thinks it’s too strong. I will try the Agave! I am always getting him new stuff to try. Thanks!!!

El Dorado 12 is right up there for me

I’d throw out Rittenhouse Rye as top value.

Havana Club 7 year (Cuba). Less than US$25 in Canada

I feel like Dartigalongue XO is pretty impossible to top at the <$50 price point. Although it’s pricier than some listed, it is superb.

Yeah, wish we could that here in the US. Several years back, we went to Spain for a week before a couple weeks in Morocco. Grabbed a 1.75 of the Havana Club 7 before our flight to Marrakesh, it was our daily digestivo while there. IIRC, it was all gone before our flight from Fez to Marseilles.

that ralphs man…