Old Forester Bourbon: how is the whole lineup?

I’ve head many bottles of the 1920 / Prohibition Style and love it. That’s the only one of their lineup that I’ve had and am curious about what you all prefer. My local store routinely has:

Old Forester 86 Proof
Old Forester 100 Proof
Old Forester 1897 / Bottled in Bond
Old Forester 1920 / Prohibition Style
Old Forester 1910 / Old Fine Whisky
Old Forster Statesman

What else should I be buying? I’m mostly a neat or little bit of ice type of guy. I buy cheaper stuff to blend.

1920 is head and shoulders above the rest, of the rest 1910 and 1897 in that order.

I haven’t tried the whole lineup, but I very much enjoy the 1920.

My favorite is hardest to get, Birthday Bourbon. 1920 is just a killer bourbon and great value, then Statesman, 1897 and 1910 in that order IMO. I would use 86 for Manhattan’s and 100 for Old Fashioned’s, just solid whiskey, nothing like 1920 but also nothing like the price.

100 proof Rye is another nice value if you see it.

We sell OldFo so take my advice with a dash of bitters.

Thanks, All. Bitters taken, Kris!

Agreed, 1920 best by a long shot. I’ve heard great things about their Rye but haven’t had it yet

I tried the 1897 over the weekend with a little ice. While quite good, you all are right: it’s no 1920. I could see it making a very fine Manhattan, but I’m not paying that much for a Bourbon to make into a cocktail.

I know alot of folks in our local whiskey “society” who prefer the 1910 over 1920. Just saying. I’ve not had it yet.

If you like Blanton’s, you’ll probably like the 1910.

Can’t wait for the Barrel Strength store picks to start hitting the streets!

Nice. I’ll grab the 1910 next. I do like Blanton’s a lot, but it has become something of a unicorn I’m afraid.

I followed your collective endorsement and bought a bottle of the Old Forester 1920. It’s good bourbon and hits above its price point. Cheers!

1 Like

Big fan of the 1920 Prohibition Style. A local shop has a single barrel bottle for $37… wondering if I should jump on it?

OF 1920 for $37 for a 750ml? That’s crazy cheap. Buy it/them.

Read more carefully :slight_smile:

I’ll pile on and add that the OF1920 might really be the most readily available, most satisfying regular release bourbon for my palate in the market today. Don’t question it and just buy more.

OF also releases a single barrel barrel strength offering that you should probably be on the look for.

on my third bottle of The Statesman, just great stuff at $55 (total wine usually has a few bottles)
1920 is also a personal favorite, but honestly, the whole line up is worth it. Just have to find your price point and preference

Love the 1920. it is the best readily available bourbon under $80 in my opinion. just love it.
next would be the 100 rye. just a great drink on ice and mixes very well and for the price, it gets an extra point or 2
the the sig 100. very nice for the price. just a great every day sipper.

I have to admit, I have not tried the 1910 or statesman as I just keep buying the 1920. I love how it is different than most bourbons out there and yet its very inexpensive. For $50 its a bargain

john

We get plenty of 1920 and it may be my favorite of the ones I have tried.

1 Like

Wine . com has had it in stock. Combined with a decent discount code, you can get it for as low as $40.