Willett isn’t really Willett

shocked to learn that Willett Pot Still isn’t even made by Willett. This practice shouldn’t be allowed without labeling information. Whiskey Review: Willett Pot Still Reserve Bourbon - The Whiskey Wash

Not a fan of the Pot Still regardless of who is making it. But I really like the 4 year old rye and at about $45 in my market, consider it a good value. I was under the impression that there are a lot of labels that are not distilling their own product these days. Jefferson comes to mind.

You mean the MGP made one?

Nothing to compared to Japanese whisky which, for years, was often not even made in Japan. That was perfectly legal. It’s shifting now, but for many years some shockingly high percentage came from Scotland and Canada.

MGP turns out some great products.

Also Willet 4 year rye is good and I like it but it’s about $90 otd here in WA. Pikesville is a better deal here.

They began their own distilling their own bourbon in 2012. Since the Pot Still isn’t 8 years old, would think the Pot Still is now all distilled by Willet. Any current bottles that have over 8 years of aging, had to have been purchased from other distilleries.

This kind of stuff has been going on for a good while, and lots of good stuff has been churned out. High West and Whistle Pig, famously.

Ray Walker?

Doc, the article that you linked is from January 2017. As other have mentioned Willet is back to distilling and the current bottles should note if it’s Willet distillate. Personally, I don’t associate the Pot Still with Willet anyway.

I wont buy the pot still willet due to that silly bottle anyway. It’s like the La Gardine of whiskies and just takes up too much space.

I’ve had a 13 year old Willet that was MGP sourced. It was amazing.

I’ve also had a 13 y.o. barrel proof, single barrel and a 15 y.o. barrel proof, single barrel and both were amazing. Not sure of the source, but probably MGP.

Clearly you’re not a bong aficionado.

From what I’ve been told and from my understanding everything now is distilled on site, all the different expressions…

I’m honestly surprised that people have a reaction to this, most Bourbon isn’t what it states to be…Most Bourbon is just bought on the open market…

And… Let’s look at the history of Bourbon…what about the gap between '68-'92… Who kept those distilleries going?

EH Taylor… the distillery has been out of business since '72, it’s now up and running and contacting with Pinhook.

Heads Up… I sell KBD and Pinhook…

EH Taylor is distilled by Buffalo Trace. The Old Taylor distillery is now Castle and Key, and I don’t think they contract liquid but are doing white spirits while the browns age.

Yes, there is a lot of contracted Whiskey out there…much of it from MGP who makes some killer whiskies.

Truth in advertising really should be the rule, ever one understands a new distillery can’t really have Whiskey til 7 or so years after their first distillate, just like vineyards and fifth leaf.

Your thinking sounds right, IMO. Pot Still bottles vanished from shelves a few years ago, before re-appearing last year, or so. This new re-stock is most likely from Willett’s own new production. I just looked at the bottle I bought last year, and it clearly states “Distilled, Aged and Bottled in Kentucky”.

Agree with the pot still bottle being a pain in the ass; it’s the Turley of bourbon :slight_smile:

I am REALLY enjoying the Pinhook.

Interesting as Taylor is listed under MGP on some sites… I guess truth in advertising…

Pinhook is made at Castle and Key, so they are going Brown.