Japanese Whiskey samplers

A friend is trying to put buy her Japanese husband a Christmas gift. She’s thinking about this…

30ml bottles of:
Hibiki Japanese Harmony
The Chita
Mars Maltage Cosmo
Nikka Whisky From The Barrel
Nikka Taketsuru Pure Malt

Cost shipped is probably $75. (Her total budget is ≈$200)

Thoughts?

Pretty cool to see what you like.

Is the husband already a whisky drinker or is he looking to just explore some more whiskeys? If the former, then maybe she would be better off with 1-2 bottles of some interesting. Flatiron just sent an offer with some interesting Japanese whiskys that may be worth checking out in that case.

Also, is the focus on Japanese whiskeys because of her husband’s nationality or because of his preferences? If he’s already into whisky maybe a sample kit of whiskys he’s not accustomed to or hasn’t tried yet would be interesting.

Cheaper than the bar, but a decent amount of money for not a lot of whiskey…

He likes whiskey and he’s very particular about things so I’d say he has the makings of a whisky-geek but maybe not there yet. He’s a born critic (in a good way)

I think the variety and the “fun” is something his wife likes. Originally it was a whiskey advent calendar but that was cost-prohibitive.

Those advent calendars can get quite pricey. It’s always hard to suggest things without knowing much of the person or their preferences. But I will say that if he’s starting to get more into whiskeys there’s probably a few better tasting sets, that are a little better value for money, offer more interesting selections, and can perhaps offer her husband a different opportunity lean and explore whisky in a new manner to him.

She can get the Unusual Cask set so her husband can explore whiskeys with different cask finishes. The regions of Scotland set seems like a nice intro into each region’s styles. And the Chinese New Year tasting sets (the 12-day and the 5) seem to offer some pretty interesting bottlings from That Boutique-y Whisky Company.

Chris,

Well go for it if you think he will enjoy it. They are premium selections. I think the main argument here is if he would be better off with two ~$100 750ml’s vs a set of tasters. If he’s not a big drinker but wants to try things, and it is a gift, I see the value in the tasting set.

Much appreciated, boys. [cheers.gif]