Egg Nog Recipes

I’ve been making this for a number of years now. Hands down the best egg nog recipe I have ever tried. It really does need 2-3 weeks (minimum) and I have taken to adding a split vanilla bean.

Eggnog

10 eggs, separated
3 cups granulated sugar (Baker’s sugar is easiest)
1.5 pints (24 fluid ounces) white rum
1 quart heavy cream
1 pint (16 fluid ounces) bourbon whiskey
1 pint (16 fluid ounces) brandy
3 quarts milk
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Beat the egg yolks until smooth. Pour beaten yolk into pot or mixing bowl having at least
a 7-quart capacity. Add the sugar and stir well until the mix is well integrated.
Add the rum slowly and stir well until all the sugar is dissolved. Add the cream and stir to
blend. Add the bourbon, brandy, milk, then spices, mixing well after each addition.

In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy and smooth but not too firm,
about one to two minutes with an electric beater on high. Add the beaten egg white to the
eggnog mixture. Beat the eggnog mixture well, about two minutes.

Ladle the eggnog into storage bottles, taking care to portion the foamy top froth
proportionally into the bottles. Stir the mixture vigorously between bottles to mix up any
sugar or spice sediment. Chill bottles.

For a lighter, frothier eggnog, drink within a day or two. Eggnog can be aged for up to six
weeks and gets thicker and more complex with time. Shake bottles at least once a week to
keep mixed, and shake well before serving. Makes about 6 quarts.

I use Alton Brown’s recipe. I always make a batch at the end of the season and age it until next year. I just started drinking through my 2019 vintage, lol.

That recipe looks amazing and around these parts serves one.

The Dale DeGroff recipe is similar, simple, and very good. I usually make a batch around Thanksgiving to drink around Christmas. The age does benefit it. For a couple of years I was setting aside a bottle every year to try on subsequent years, but after a power outage I decided the risk was more than I was willing to bear.

We do a similar recipe for parties in a punch bowl. I’ve never aged egg nog past a couple days.

In ours we float chunks of vanilla ice cream on top in-lieu of heavy cream. Keeps it somewhat cold while sitting out.

Handed down over the generations.
B8EBACB0-F5BA-42E9-B413-A7A82104C7B5.jpeg

I had my first Starbucks Egg Nog Latte of the season today.

1 Like

Looks similar but this is the recipe from the best bar in Cleveland. And our go to once a year.
The cocktail: VTR Eggnog

Creator: Staff at Velvet Tango Room, 2095 Columbus Ave., Cleveland. Open New Year’s Eve. Call 216-241-8869.

Back story: The Velvet Tango Room is known for its timeless cocktails – peerless manhattans, frothy Ramos gin fizzes, icy Moscow Mules – elegant atmosphere and TV screens tuned, blessedly, not to ESPN but Turner Classic Movies. But when the snow flies, this modern-day speakeasy serves up yet another tradition: the VTR Eggnog, a homemade comfort concoction as smooth as owner Paulius Nasvytis’ ready-for-radio voice. Visitors taking a seat at the bar or on one of the plush couches near the piano are greeted by a server carrying a menu and a complimentary glass – no need to ask. Unlike store-bought nog, the Tango Room version is light and just sweet enough to delight but never overwhelm. You’ll be running your fingers along the empty goblet to taste the last drop.

Recipe: 6 eggs, 2/3 cup sugar, ½ teaspoon vanilla, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, 1/3 cup dark rum, ¾ cup brandy, 2 cups heavy whipping cream, 2 cups milk. Chill everything before starting. Beat eggs (use pasteurized if you’re concerned about safety) until frothy, then beat in sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. Add liquor first, then add milk and cream, stirring slowly. Serve cold. Use any leftover for French toast the next morning.

Will - over the years that you’ve posted this across various social media, I’ve never asked the following:
(1) Do you have faves/preferred liquors
(2) What size bottles do you use for storage

Muchas gracias

Your recipe looks pretty similar to our family’s, Will, including the mix of liquors (bourbon, brandy and rum). I’ve never thought to age the nog, mostly because a fresh batch just never lasts more than a night or two in our household. That said, we do always ensure the nog gets time to “cure” overnight (ideally) before serving to integrate the flavors into the egg-white foam. Key step is to top it off with fresh grated nutmeg upon serving.

Do you have faves/preferred liquors?
Two are pretty standard - Bacardi white/light rum, Korbel brandy. I’ll play with the bourbon a little but prefer the Weller family when I have some open, on hand.

What size bottles do you use for storage?
I usually keep a plastic one gallon milk jug for the bulk of it - the empty liquor bottles take the rest of it.

1 Like

Thanks Will. I don’t buy rum or brandy much but Weller SR green label is my house bourbon!

Will, thank you so much for the recipe. Made it today and it is resting in the fridge. I made mine with Bacardi white rum, Old Forester 1920 (115 proof) bourbon and Osocalis XO brandy. Fresh ground the cinnamon and nutmeg. Can’t wait.

Made your recipe Will, delicious! [worship.gif]

Huge hit Christmas Eve!

Thanks y’all! Awesome to be a part of your holiday season.

I started looking into aged egg nog last December as a result of this thread, and settled on this approach:

New Year’s Day, I made a test-size batch (enough to almost fill a 750 screwcap wine bottle) and patiently waited until last night to break it out. I don’t have a control to taste-test it against, but I pronounce it delicious!

Made this over the holiday week and it’s going fast, might be the year I have to make a second batch. Experimented with some armagnac ILO brandy, added a nice spice component although expensive substitution.

I made a variation of Alton Browns recipe last year. It made three bottle. We drank two of them over the course of a month or so. We saved one bottle that I have been periodically shaking. It is soon to make its appearance.

Will, just made a batch for the first time, delicious and can’t wait to see how it is on Christmas eve!

I seem to be the only one who thinks that the long-aged stuff tastes like cheap rotgut. Tried several different recipes last year, opened them all for Thanksgiving. The portions that we drank within a week of bottling were tasty, but these year old ones were foul.