Pappy Bottle Codes/Dates/Values

With the help of someone with a younger generation’s eyes, I am trying to catalog the codes off of my Pappy (ORVW, Lot B, PVW) bottles. Pretty sure that I have figured out the dating although happy to chat with someone, via PM, with more knowledge than me.

Are there differences in the releases, both taste/juice and value, for releases from the last 5 years 2015 through 2020, or are all of these “recent” releases basically the same?

As for the codes I emailed the distillery and got a response from Julian himself, though that was a few years back.

Pre-2012 : K2240810:55
In this example, the K = the bottling line, 224 = the 224th day of the year, 08 = the year bottled (2008 in this example), 10:55 = (10:55 am) the time bottled using the 24 hour time code.
2012+ : B1420809:15 K
Here, the B = Buffalo Trace, 14 = 2014, 208 = the 208th day of the year, 09:15 = (9:15 am) the time bottled using the 24 hour time code., K = the bottling line.

Any practical difference in value between bottles from the last 5 years?

Without knowing what you have exactly, I’ll say probably not much difference in value from the last 5 years. With the exception of the ultra limited Pappy 25 release in 2017, I think that Pappy exhausted most of the Stitzel-Weller juice by 2015. It’s rumored that the Pappy 23 from 2015 is a majority Stitzel-Weller distillate. If you can trace your bottles to Stitzel-Weller juice, a difference in value will be applicable.

However, it’s difficult to argue with the value of recent Pappy in the current bourbon secondary market. All Pappy releases are very strong with the 10 and 12 year around $500-700 per bottle and older age statements much greater in value. Crazy times.

I have a 23 but its from 2016. In fact, none of my bottles is older than 2016. I have been trying to organize some trades and just trying to figure out which bottles within a specific offering to ship in the trade vs which specific bottles to hold on to. it does not seem like it makes a difference for the bottles that I have. Thanks for the info.

Reminds me of the days of the cigar craze. People trying to decipher the Cuban box codes to know which factory and when rolled. People get crazy.