Do you believe sake is the next "hot" thing?

Sake has always been popular, but going as far as being viewed as premium like that of the pedigree of Petrus would shock most people. Learning more about the world of sake (for me) suggests that it’ll be a big player in the future. Even though there aren’t “vintages” I know some high end producers are trying to create that style. Harvesting rice from a “single plot” in a single year. I find the flavor profiles pair interestingly and differently than wines from grapes not to say one is better than the other in the least.

My question is how much would you pay for a rare and absolutely beautifully made and great tasting sake? It was a shock to me seeing a $5k price tag on some. Do you also believe sake is going to be popular outside of the Asian cuisine sphere?

No. It may gain a few followers, but I doubt there are many Americans will go ga-ga after it like the Japanese seem to.
In the US, outside of the few who want to experiment, I see people not wanting to spend more than high-end craft beers for it.

No where to the level of wine but there are some devoted followers in the sommelier and consumer spheres. Places like Pabu in SF and Hiroshi in Los Altos come to mind…

This reminds me I have some 2017 Noguchi LE01 in the cellar to try…

Sounds good! The whole thought of this topic came up after I saw The French Laundry pairing a sake with their dishes. I had never expected this.

I can see that. I recently learned that the way sake is made is also in line with what is considered to be Kosher. Of course, some of these producers are certified, but it’s something I never considered until very recently. What I’m seeing locally is people are willing to spend $40-60 for a high quality sake especially if they’ve gotten a sample.

Pretty typical up here. One course Sake, one course a sour beer or something similar.
During my Certified test we had to pour a Sake.

I don’t see the super high end ever getting big here, but I’d like to see more good to pretty good available.

Drinking in Japan is quite fun, as they fully embrace the terroir concept. All of the relatively inexpensive local stuff in Kyoto was very good, and a couple of bottles brought home that cost around $40 helped me bring around some friends to the idea of sake being something you want to actually taste!

That’s definitely happening, at least in the Bay Area. Not just in restaurants, stores and producers as well. Been meaning to check out True Sake in SF, and pick up some Den Sake from Oakland.

This is not entirely true, though vintage dated sake is extremely rare and there is not much precedent. My husband imports several high end bottlings from a particular brewery, Kikuhime, and the line up includes a few extremely rare vintage dated examples. When I say rare, I mean available only from one shop in Tokyo and from us. These are, quite simply, amazing, and not like most aged sake, which usually becomes dark and oxidized. These are clean and clear and exceptionally complex. Of course, I’m not entirely objective, so I’ll leave any additional praise to other board members who have tasted our wares. :slight_smile:

I do believe there is a lot of room for very high quality (and pricey) sake to enter the realm of rarified beverages, such as great wine/whisky/cognac, which we feel should be the comparables. The fact that places like The French Laundry, mentioned above, and Single Tread Farms, which has picked up Kikuhime recently, are adding it to both tastings and lists is great supporting evidence. It’s a jump to get beyond places like Masa, Sushi Nakazawa, Sushi Noz, where you might expect to see such high end items, and we couldn’t be more delighted to see it happening with Kikuhime and others.

I hope I’m allowed to say this, but we are really working hard to get these sake into the hands of consumers without their having to pay restaurant prices. There are several retail sources, and (I hope) soon to be at least one direct to consumer offer. Of course, they are still priced in terms of $100+ - not thousands - and I firmly believe they are well worth it. I’m sure a lot of people will balk at paying $150, $200, $500 for sake, but others will be curious and some will fall in love, as we have. Access has to come first. Most people do not (yet) have anything like this to which they can compare the more common offerings. Until people get to try things like this, how will anyone know how good sake can be?

Edited to add that the response from people with whom we’ve shared the higher end examples has been phenomenal, eye-opening, according to several. Even people with little experience with or much interest in sake have been blown away. I like to think that means the quality is truly there to speak to those who are keen to listen. Not everyone is going to get it, though, and that’s fine. Not everyone - not even all wine lovers - adores Monfortino, or DRC, or Harlan, or Salon.

Sarah, You may have partly answered this, but Do you consider sake more like wine or more like beer (albeit high alcohol beer)? Curious as a recent tasting had me thinking about this. Obviously it is it’s own thing, but wondering what someone far more knowledgable than me thinks.

Also is there a reliable critic source (Sake Advocate) to help guide NooBs.

We’ve been opening up small bottles of sake for tasting for customers that express interest in nicer sake. It’s such a foreign (no pun intended) idea for many. Almost always they’re surprised and delighted. Many are surprised at how much floral and fruit flavors exist in sake and purchase a daiginjo. Right now I’m spending about $100 per bottle for a nice sake. I’m preaching the word at my wine store that sake has amazing food pairings outside Asian food.

No, and we drink a lot of Sake to begin with. There is not much US market for super premium Sake even in Japan. Most people drink well under $100 Sake.

I believe wines by definition have to be fermented by fruit and since it is brewed for me it’s closer to beer than wine. People just say rice wine colloquially, but I do believe like you mentioned it is its own category. I think the complexities and the terroir however is more wine-like.

1 Like

We get a mix. There are some people who by the least expensive white wine out of the cooler similarly they do the same with sake. I think if more customers get a chance to taste nicer sake they’d be open to the idea.

I rely on Sakepedia from Jeff Giollete.

1 Like

understand your question in terms of price and that’s how I’ll answer it.
One of the limit to the price of sake is that it’s not an investment. Most sake won’t improve with ageing and amongst those who will only a few will keep improving after more than five years.
However some sake have reached cult status in a dedicated community and their prices have skyrocketed. I believe that the average price of my favorite sake (amazing quality, currently reasonable price) will rise in the close future, but there isn’t much I can do as a good portion of it I want to drink in the few years after release.
I think rarity will be the driving force here, rarity will encourage distributors to raise prices and makers will follow.
PS: 5k$ sake is just bull****, but so is wine.

Looks interesting, I might download that and read it while I’m chilling at work. xD

I will be devil’s advocate and say well made sake can age. It’s not that uncommon to find perfectly good sake that was bottled in the 80s if you know where to look. I just think it comes down that it’s not a widely known thing.

I’ve seen aged coffee that is almost like a coffee port. Aging is not new for Japanese culture since soy sauce alone has been aged in barrels for a long time.

1 Like

Don’t the vast majority of people drink waaaay under $100 wine? Looking for a premium market is always going to be looking for a small subset.

1 Like

Well… we ARE berserkers, no? I think that puts us ALL out of the ordinary subset haha. In the US I’ve heard over 90% of the wine bought is consumed 8 hours after purchase. This was pre-pandemic so perhaps that number has increased to 99.99999999999% jk… kind of. I tend to drink <$100 unless it’s a special occasion. If it’s special the GF demands vintage Dom P.