Favorite Shōchū?

Think we are pretty limited–but any favorites? Mostly I buy Takara Shuzo Shochu Mugi “Yokaichi”, but I do find I often prefer it to sake.

I don’t see how one can compare shochu to sake. At least I view them two totally distinct beverages that fulfill two entirely different functions and the only common factor is them both coming from Japan

Haven’t dug that deep into shochu myself, but I’ve enjoyed the rusticity of multiple Awamoris.

I prefer sake, but would like to know more about shochu

Shochu is an amazing, deep topic that has a serious diversity of styles based on the number of ingredients one can use to make it. I have some personal favorites made from barley (mugi) and sweet potato (imo), with bottles of Tsukushi Kuro and Akari Nouson being recent particular favorites. The Tsukushi Kuro has this malty, cracked grain, nutty sweetness to it (though it’s a dry spirit) that is absolutely perfect by itself, while the Akari Nouson has more of an earthy, tropical fruited tone to it.

They pair incredibly well with grilled meats, yakitori, or anything grilled over charcoal, if you’re ever in Berkeley, CA, Ippuku has perhaps the best selection on the West Coast at a restaurant, with over 50-60 bottles open for BTG pours.

Highly underrated stuff.

1 Like