Classic Martini

Ok, what is your classic Martini recipe (please do not include Vodka, that is not a real martini)? Over the years, I have ordered or made “dry” martinis with little or no vermouth. I have now come to appreciate a more classic martini with a 2 to 1, or 3 to 1 (gin to vermouth). If I use a more classic London Dry Gin like Beefeater, I may go 2 to 1. Sometimes with more floral or New World gins, I may go 3 to 1. I may also go with 2 to 1 when using a more unique Vermouth such as Massican. Dolin is fine, but doesn’t seem to offer a much on the flavor side. Finally, I like a twist as I’m not much of an olive guy.

I use a capful of vermouth in the humidifier

1 Like

I prefer something less traditional like Cocchi Americano. Also more like 2 / 0.5. Also like it dirty with 0.5 olive brine.

I use The Botanist or Plymouth. Still like mine very, very dry.

Prefer mine with onions, but now we are in Gibson territory. Cap full of vermouth over the ice, then the gin,Hendricks my current favorite and into a chilled glass

3 to 1 for me, I am a Dolin fan, as it does not fight the gin at all. I am currently digging Gray Whale gin in my martini, but also a Hendricks fan. A drop of orange bitters and an olive or two and I am a happy man.

3:1 Gin:Dolin. Stirred long and hard. Express lemon twist in martini glass. No pith on slim twist. Strain. London dry or citrus influenced gin with a good clean profile. Occasionally will do a dash of orange bitters.

My go to gins for martinis are:

Berry Bros No. 3 London Dry
Gin Mare
Ki No Bi
Botanist
Silent Pool
Sipsmith
Sipsmith VJOP on a Friday after a long week of work

It’s not classic if you’re using Coche or Lillet or a blanc vermouth, though I like those versions too. Thumbs up to other high end dry vermouths. Hard thumbs down to cheap vermouth and Noilly Prat, which I find vile. I very much dislike dirty martinis. The reason I so love martinis is that they are a lovely expression of gin. A simple but delicious drink in which the star of the show, high quality gin, can shine. Which is also one reason why I so dislike dirty martinis.

The lemon oil is good, I find the lemon twist can add bitterness. I Like 3:1 stirred and ice the cocktail glass in the freezer. No bitters or olive brine. Olives on the side.

Haven’t made a martini in so long I forgot. But ran across my recipe. It’s 3 to 1, but half Cocchi and half olive brine. Also lots of blue cheese stuffed olives.

I don’t want to disparage the way people like their cocktails, but a martini has been around a long, long time. A “classic” martini is gin, vermouth, and an olive or a twist. Add anything else and it’s not classic IMO. Y

2 Likes

I agree, Dale.

I go roughly 3:1 gin to vermouth, and always with an olive as my garnish. My favorite gin for a martini right now is Gin Mare, and Dolin vermouth. My Aunt gave me a tip that I now love: buy a jar of your favorite olives, pour off the brine, and replace it with gin. They keep nice and firm that way.

I’m actually fairly new to the Martini world. Experimented quite a bit over the past six months. Still experimenting. But here’s what I’ve come to:

2oz Gin (Plymouth)
1oz Dolin Dry (would be very happy to find something else)
1 dash orange bitters (prefer Miracle Mile)
1-2 dashs of Green Chartreuse (open to other flavorful/botanical suggestions) - I would mist with absinthe instead if I had it.
Garnish with Lemon twist.

Mike,
Your cocktail is very similar to one of my all-time favorites, the Tuxedo No. 2
Absinthe rinse
2 1/2 ounces gin
1/2 ounce dry vermouth
1/4 ounce Luxardo liqueur
4 dashes orange bitters
Garnish with orange twist or Luxardo cherry

Edited to specify Luxardo maraschino liqueur and cherries

I’m a bit under the weather right now, but I will definitely make one of these as soon as I feel a bit better. Who knows, might even help with my cold. :slight_smile:

3:1. Olive garnish. Usually Hendricks. Sometimes Botanist.

I hate dirty martinis.

The Botanist, Hendricks, or Drumshanbo with Carpano or Routin vermouth and a garlic/jalapeno stuffed olive.

I heard this on the 4th of July, that the original martini was made with sweet vermouth. Anybody had one?

I make this. Just adds a small dose of Maraschino Liqueur:

MARTINEZ COCKTAIL
1.5 oz Old Tom Gin
1.5 oz sweet vermouth
.25 oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
3 dashes of Orange bitters
Shake with ice and serve neat.

If I’m feeling fancy I’ll do deaths door, nolets or botanist. Most days I just use Bombay Sapphire. If I’m lazy I’ll just look at the dry vermouth, otherwise I’ll use a chilled glass and do a vermouth wash. I don’t put any garnish, more room for the gin :slight_smile:

The Martini is my cocktail of choice. Generally do 3 parts Nolet’s to 1 part Dolin dry. Stired 50 times and strained into a chilled Nick and Nora martini glass. Lemon twist.