Hot Toddy Help?

Over the holidays my wife and I took advantage of several of Chicago’s great bars and restaurants offering on Mulled Wine and Hot Toddy. We’ve got lots of tried and true recipes for the warm mulled wine…but are having difficulty finding reproductions of some of the amazing citrusy hot toddies we fell in love with. Suggestions encouraged while the Arctic Clipper keeps Chicago round about 0 degrees before wind chill.

1 Like

We made quite a few Hot Toddy’s last week while camping.

We used the NYT recipe

We used Makers Mark (it was what was available) and went heavy on the lemon peel (including some juice) and had cinnamon sticks and star anise with us. We sparingly used Maple Syrup as our sweetener.

The best tip I have is to have a long steep time (10min covered) for the flavor to fully get out of the cinnamon stick and star anise.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I really like a peated whisky in my hot toddy.

2 parts whiskey, 1 part lemon juice, 1 part honey, 4 parts boiling water, and a slice of lemon for garnish.

looks a lot simpler than I thought…basically lemon, honey, cinnamon…and your spirit of choice. Thanks everyone.

I like Bird Dog in hot toddys. Depending on preferences you can do one of their flavored ones.

I’m thinking Cognac or Sazerac Rye or Red Breast Irish Whiskey for the booze…

1 Like