Gin for a French 75?

Hello. I’m planning to make some French 75s this weekend for guests. Three questions:

1.) What somewhat-readily-available gin would you recommend in this cocktail?
2.) What are your ratios of gin/lemon juice/syrup/Champagne?
3.) I’m not trying to break the bank here, so what sparkling wine would you use?

The first Death and Co. book has the following listed:

1.5 oz. Plymouth Gin
.75 oz. Lemon Juice
.5 oz. Simple Syrup

Top with Dry Champagne

I’ve made a ton of these. I’m happy with Plymouth, but often use what’s on hand like Tanqueray. As to the sparkling wine, I would find a reasonably priced prosecco. I’m sure you can find plenty of those in the $15 range. I would not be spending $$ on Champagne that I was going to mix into a cocktail.

Thanks, Mike. Plymouth is pretty easy to find around here, so that’s helpful. I was thinking a dry Prosecco or Cava, and an inexpensive one at that.

I like mine with Cognac.

I really like Citadelle for many gin drinks where juniper would intrude but I have not tried that in a French 75.

I couldn’t actually find Plymouth at the local store, so I went with Botanist instead and it worked well. The sparkler was a NV Treveri Cellars Blanc de Blanc Brut that was just under $15.

Sounds perfect.

1 Like

I enjoy something floral / wine-y with less juniper influence in a French 75. I’ve been using Ferdinand’s Saar Gin and Citadelle lately for that purpose with good success.

Edit: I see my input is a week late for OP’s event. Whoops!

How’d they turn out? I think Botanist is a good unobtrusive gin that can work well in cocktails. Plymouth for good citrus. Roku would be another that could do okay and is easy to find.

Empress gin. Gives it an interesting purple color too

Really tasty. I think Plymouth would’ve been better with all the lemon flavors and the bright bubbly, but my guests and I were happy.

Funny, reading the top my first thought was use Treveri Brut Zero. Then further down I see Empress which was my other suggestion as it has a strong citrus/grapefruit note.

All my suggestions are covered.

I just might have to make another this evening!

I usually use Hendrix because it isn’t too harsh. When bartender friend introduced this drink to me she used the standard recipe, and over time and “let’s try this”, it morphed into a completely different and less sweet drink with a muddled lemon wedge and mint leaves, gin, poured over ice & topped with bubbles. Really refreshing on a hot day.

Nikka Coffey Gin is the most citrus heavy gin I’ve had. Think it would be great.

Fond as I am of mixed drinks the combination of champagne and lemon juice is one that displeases me greatly. The classic champagne cocktail-sugar cube soaked in Angostura, cognac to cover it in a flute then topped up with champagne, possibly a halved orange slice- is a really good drink if somewhat immoral.