Your Gin?

BEERserkers and fans of spirits, come on in! Discussion about beer, spirits, liquor - anything beverage non-wine related
Chad Richardson
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Your Gin?

#51 Post by Chad Richardson » January 10th, 2011, 4:35 pm

Picked-up some Corsair (small batch from a KY and TN distiller). While sweeter and less junipery that I usually prefer, it's pretty dang tasty.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I only look like I'm listening.

Enzo Ruffalo
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Enzo Ruffalo » January 10th, 2011, 4:38 pm

[cheers.gif]
Last edited by Enzo Ruffalo on January 11th, 2012, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient Champagne

Andrew Hall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Andrew Hall » January 10th, 2011, 4:56 pm

John Liotta wrote:I finally found some Old Raj (at a reasonable price too). Do people have a preference between the two proofs?
I am not familiar with differing proofs. I have the 110 which I use for cocktails and consider it the gold standard for most gin cocktails.

I like Ransom Old Tom, but it has a personality which doesn't play well in cocktails like an Aviation or Pegu. OTOH, it is incredible in a Martinez or other cocktails which came about using similar styles.

Of the neo-American artisan gins, Death's Door is my clear favorite. It is aggressive and assertive, but balanced and provides a feisty note to classic cocktails. Many of the other ones - artisan to big brand like G'Vine - are pretty much bad flavored vodka. I just had Smooth Ambler from WV and it is well-done. Alas, like the rest of the field, it is comparable to Beefeater (least acceptable standard of Gin) at 3x the price.

A.
Andrew Hall (itb)

andrew @ cellartracker dot com

John Liotta

#54 Post by John Liotta » January 10th, 2011, 5:10 pm

Andrew Hall wrote:
John Liotta wrote:I finally found some Old Raj (at a reasonable price too). Do people have a preference between the two proofs?
I am not familiar with differing proofs. I have the 110 which I use for cocktails and consider it the gold standard for most gin cocktails.

I like Ransom Old Tom, but it has a personality which doesn't play well in cocktails like an Aviation or Pegu. OTOH, it is incredible in a Martinez or other cocktails which came about using similar styles.

Of the neo-American artisan gins, Death's Door is my clear favorite. It is aggressive and assertive, but balanced and provides a feisty note to classic cocktails. Many of the other ones - artisan to big brand like G'Vine - are pretty much bad flavored vodka. I just had Smooth Ambler from WV and it is well-done. Alas, like the rest of the field, it is comparable to Beefeater (least acceptable standard of Gin) at 3x the price.

A.

I bought the "standard" 110 proof. But I saw that there were two available. One was 46% and the other 55%.
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

Andrew Hall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Andrew Hall » January 10th, 2011, 5:37 pm

John Liotta wrote:
Andrew Hall wrote:

A.

I bought the "standard" 110 proof. But I saw that there were two available. One was 46% and the other 55%.
Interesting. AFAIK, the 110 is the only I ever see mentioned in places like Pacult.

A.
Andrew Hall (itb)

Jeff Fish
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Jeff Fish » January 19th, 2011, 10:27 am

Paul L i n wrote:Hendrick's is my primary gin, but lately I have been drinking Bluecoat, which IMO works really well with citrus elements.
+1. Those are my two current favorites, with the occasional taste of Saphire. Lately I've been mixin' with Dolin vermouth - wonderful stuff.
Jeffrey D. Fish

Shut the up, Donny. You're out of your element.

Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Henry Kiichli » January 19th, 2011, 1:33 pm

T.L. Reasoner wrote:Boodles is excellent for sipping or martini's
what he said.

And Hendricks.
"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

Terence T-Bone Livingston
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Terence T-Bone Livingston » January 19th, 2011, 1:43 pm

My new go to is Martin Miller's (80 proof- $26.99). Keep a bottle in the freezer. Pour neat, twist, and add a few sliced pepperoncini's instead of onions or olives. No vermouth. Very clean, and I wake up without the ass-kicking fog I get with Tanq 10 now.

Make sure to coat the martini glass with lemon rind. Work that baby! Makes all the difference.

ITB

Howard Camhi

#59 Post by Howard Camhi » January 19th, 2011, 7:36 pm

T-Bone. . .try the Miller's Westbourne Strength . . .same way. . . a bit "more" of all you like about the "regular" it's my go-to.

Best,

HIC

John Mc

#60 Post by John Mc » January 20th, 2011, 8:20 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Hendricks or go home
+ 1

and not just b/c its from Scotland (my homeland)
For it's a Grand old team to play for

Mc Carroll

Scott VZ

#61 Post by Scott VZ » January 24th, 2011, 10:11 am

Tanqueray and tonic, or a dry Hendrick's martini with a splash of ginger liqueur, garnished with cucumber. I have a wide gin palate.
Scott Van Zile
Boston, MA

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by George Hejna » March 12th, 2011, 6:26 am

Usually buy Hendricks but picked up a bottle of Darnley's View.

http://www.darnleysview.com/

Really good, more citrus than Hendricks a little lighter worth a try.

George

Olivier Landry

#63 Post by Olivier Landry » March 12th, 2011, 6:31 am

Daniel Hall wrote:Citadel
+1

Citadelle is easily the best gin I've had. Cleanest, crispiest gin I've had. Buy it by the case here to make sure I don't run out!
Used to be ITB (2007-2015).

Br@d S w @ l l o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Br@d S w @ l l o w » March 14th, 2011, 7:20 pm

Hendricks, Tanqueray 10, and Boodles.
"Oh, bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeosity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!" ~Alex

John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by John Osburn » March 15th, 2011, 2:57 pm

Beefeater 24 is pretty tasty as well, although not vastly different than regular Beefeater. A little softer and more citrusy I'd say.

Jon Berno

#66 Post by Jon Berno » March 27th, 2011, 10:46 am

I haven't had anything better than Hendricks. Anything in the same price range or less as good?
-ITB
Jon B e r n a r d o n i

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#67 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 27th, 2011, 10:48 am

Jon Berno wrote:I haven't had anything better than Hendricks. Anything in the same price range or less as good?
I'm with Jon.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

John Liotta

#68 Post by John Liotta » May 8th, 2011, 1:06 pm

If you haven't read some of the other threads in this forum you may not have seen the recommendation for Death's Door Gin. Check it out. And yes, it is probably better than Hendrick's. [neener.gif]
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

Scott VZ

#69 Post by Scott VZ » May 8th, 2011, 4:01 pm

I just tried Blackwoods Small Batch, and I have to say, it's a damn fine sipping gin.
Scott Van Zile
Boston, MA

Casey Hartlip
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Casey Hartlip » May 15th, 2011, 8:09 am

Jeeze, it took a rainy day for me to find my way over here to the spirits forum!

If I'm out on the town, it's Bombay and tonic. At home Sapphire. flirtysmile For those of you around Sonoma County, a half gallon can be had for $25 at the Bottle Barn, that's even cheaper than Costco.

I miss the Sarticious. I tried the new Blade (maybe made by the same folks).
Ordway's Valley Foothills

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Paul Miller » May 15th, 2011, 9:48 am

Rob MacKay

#72 Post by Rob MacKay » May 15th, 2011, 10:37 am

I've been in the Sapphire camp for as long as I can remember but with all of these Hendricks rec's I think I'll have to give it a try.
"For the human makers of things, the incompletenesses and inconsistencies of our ideas become clear only during implementation."

http://twitter.com/RoundersRob
http://facebook.com/RoundersRob

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#73 Post by Nola Palomar » May 15th, 2011, 10:48 am

Tanqueray & Tonic with a nice wedge of lemon from the tree on the porch!
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Cris Whetstone » May 15th, 2011, 10:58 am

I tried cleaning with gin but have found it leaves an odor that is not pleasing.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

John Liotta

#75 Post by John Liotta » May 15th, 2011, 11:51 am

Cris Whetstone wrote:I tried cleaning with gin but have found it leaves an odor that is not pleasing.

When I saw your Glorious Hair out the other night at a club it was drinking a gin martini FWIW. Maybe you guys are like Jekyll and Hyde?
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

Rob MacKay

#76 Post by Rob MacKay » May 15th, 2011, 4:03 pm

This thread, combined with Sunday boredom, prompted a trip to BevMo where I picked up a bottle of Hendricks.

Blind tasted both 3 different ways. Straight, on the rocks, and in a simple Gin and Tonic.

Preferred Hendricks over Sapphire in all three. It's just much more floral and complex across the board.

Having said that, I am not kicking my Sapphire to the curb either as I do still like it quite a lot.
"For the human makers of things, the incompletenesses and inconsistencies of our ideas become clear only during implementation."

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#77 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 21st, 2011, 10:50 am

Just received notice from the local Bev-Mo that they have Hayman's Old Tom in stock again...guess I need to get some and have a try!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Michael Bowden » May 23rd, 2011, 5:16 pm

Anybody had this? I'm not a gin fan....but this has to be the most $ gin on the market?

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1061164

Nolet's Reserve
I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.

WvanGorp

#79 Post by WvanGorp » May 27th, 2011, 6:39 pm

This is ridiculous (re Nolet gin). First, people in Holland don't drink "gin," they drink genever which as we all know is different from London Dry Gin. These people are trying to capitalize on an international audience and are just trying to gouge. As frugal as the dutch are, I can hardly believe they are serious. Most ridiculous thing I've seen in a long time, maybe ever.
Wilfred van Gorp

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Michael Bowden » May 28th, 2011, 5:10 am

Wilf,

I first thought this was a joke also. I was looking through a distributors liquor book when I noticed the pricing....I thought, wow, that much (at wholesale no less) for a gin?....Must be a mistake. So, I started the search and what do you know...K&L has it for $690!

Richie Caplan

#81 Post by Richie Caplan » May 28th, 2011, 10:44 am

With gin, I always felt you should be paying for the liquid, not for their brand/packaging/advertising. Just like tequila.

So, my preferred gin is CITADELLE or BOOTLE'S

Andrew Hall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by Andrew Hall » May 29th, 2011, 6:29 pm

I find it amusing when people on a wine board get all hyper about pricing for other people's fields of interest.

A.
Andrew Hall (itb)

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#83 Post by Michael Bowden » May 29th, 2011, 10:33 pm

Andrew Hall wrote:I find it amusing when people on a wine board get all hyper about pricing for other people's fields of interest.

A.
Semi-agree....but with wine there is a wide variety of prices from $2 to $2000, etc....

Specific areas of the liquor market have the same ability (scotch, cognac, bourbon, etc...) but in regards to this gin there really isn't a market....is there another gin at $100?, $200? $500?. I guess you can call them a trendsetter or opportunistic....but still, I'm just not sure the market is there.

Andrew Hall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by Andrew Hall » May 30th, 2011, 7:16 am

Michael Bowden wrote:
Andrew Hall wrote:I find it amusing when people on a wine board get all hyper about pricing for other people's fields of interest.

A.
Semi-agree....but with wine there is a wide variety of prices from $2 to $2000, etc....

Specific areas of the liquor market have the same ability (scotch, cognac, bourbon, etc...) but in regards to this gin there really isn't a market....is there another gin at $100?, $200? $500?. I guess you can call them a trendsetter or opportunistic....but still, I'm just not sure the market is there.
They don't make enough of it to really impact the market. I suspect they make it primarily to call attention to the regular brand - in which case it could even be underpriced relative to cost. [snort.gif]

A.
Andrew Hall (itb)

WvanGorp

#85 Post by WvanGorp » May 30th, 2011, 8:36 am

My point (btw this is a spirits forum, not a wine forum, so in a sense, its a 'spirits board' as far as this segment goes) is more cultural. It would be like the British making a genever and selling it for some astronomical sum. People in Holland don't drink much gin--just try to get a martini in a bar in Holland (I'm talking outside of bars in hotels, etc., that cater to an international crowd). Some folks almost wouldn't know what you're talking about if you go to the local places.

Truly absurd.
Wilfred van Gorp

Andrew Hall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by Andrew Hall » May 30th, 2011, 12:13 pm

WvanGorp wrote:My point (btw this is a spirits forum, not a wine forum, so in a sense, its a 'spirits board' as far as this segment goes) is more cultural. It would be like the British making a genever and selling it for some astronomical sum. People in Holland don't drink much gin--just try to get a martini in a bar in Holland (I'm talking outside of bars in hotels, etc., that cater to an international crowd). Some folks almost wouldn't know what you're talking about if you go to the local places.

Truly absurd.
The French make vodka and gin, both of which have established solid premium brands in the marketplace. That a Dutch distillery wants to make a presence in the gin market - gin being a generic term not a regionally specific one like cognac or tequila - is not absurd.

This is primarily a wine board and most of the people here have about the same level of interaction and interest in detail with spirits as spirits geeks do with wine.

A.
Andrew Hall (itb)

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Michael Bowden » May 30th, 2011, 1:03 pm

I think now a days when people make a luxury product ($600 gin, etc...) they are thinking worldwide from the beginning.

WvanGorp

Your Gin?

#88 Post by WvanGorp » May 30th, 2011, 1:18 pm

Hi Andrew

When I said "absurd" I meant the price--not the concept the dutch could distill gin.

Careful not to stereotype re knowledge of spirits in people who also drink wine.
Wilfred van Gorp

WvanGorp

Your Gin?

#89 Post by WvanGorp » May 30th, 2011, 1:33 pm

Getting back on topic I've really come to admire and appreciate North Shore Gin, no 6. A locally distilled gin near Chicago.
Wilfred van Gorp

Andrew Hall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by Andrew Hall » May 30th, 2011, 1:38 pm

WvanGorp wrote:Hi Andrew

When I said "absurd" I meant the price--not the concept the dutch could distill gin.

Careful not to stereotype re knowledge of spirits in people who also drink wine.
Again, I find a great bit of humor that wine people would find spirit prices absurd. People see the value in the lack of linearity between price in quality in what they are into, but not what in other people are into.

Not stereotyping. My experience is that the set of spirits geeks and wine geeks has a fairly small overlap. Not to say that wine people don't like spirits (and vice versa), but there are very few who have equally deep interest in both.

A.
Andrew Hall (itb)

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Charlie Carnes » May 31st, 2011, 4:10 pm

My uncle who was a hardened old B-17 pilot wasn't happy unless he was drinking Gordon's Gin. About the only way I'll drink gin, which I love: with him Gordon's on rocks straight. Without, Gordon's rocks lemon peel and two olives. I know it ain't the best gin in the world, but it would seem wrong drinking anything else.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Veronica Castro
GCC Member
GCC Member

#92 Post by Veronica Castro » May 31st, 2011, 7:23 pm

Michael Bowden wrote:Anybody had this? I'm not a gin fan....but this has to be the most $ gin on the market?

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1061164

Nolet's Reserve
there is a market for it... we sold a couple. i've been lucky enough to try the Nolet's Reserve. The same company as Ketel One makes it.

The label is a big, honking 14k gold-plated placard, making it one pimpdaddy bottle. It also has an Ace of Spades-looking box. The Reserve is made with saffron and verbena, which you taste. The distributor said a lot of saffron went into the batch (i forget the amounts). I thought it was very good.
In both Nolet's Silver and Reserve, (compared to other gins) the juniper element was barely noticeable. The Silver (which costs several $$$ less) was very floral with a lot of stone fruit. I liked the two just as much.

Cheers,
itb
hi-time wine cellars

Benjamin Sullivan DNA
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by Benjamin Sullivan DNA » December 30th, 2011, 5:10 pm

Best Gin neat on the rocks? Oh and of course I will try T-Bones concoction.
One Reality: Truth.

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » January 7th, 2012, 7:32 pm

Desert Juniper from Bend Distillery was my go-to for most of the Oughts.Very 'botanical'. Makes wonderful G&Ts.
St. Georges in Alameda, CA has some new gins out recently, including one called 'Terroir' that has locally sourced botanicals from Mount Tamalpais across the bay. It's a bit over the top, but worth a try. Better neat then in a G&T, especially if you are using good tonic, which seems to bring out the worst in the botanicals they use.
Wyan VanGorp said:
People in Holland don't drink much gin--just try to get a martini in a bar in Holland (I'm talking outside of bars in hotels, etc., that cater to an international crowd). Some folks almost wouldn't know what you're talking about if you go to the local places.
My Dutch brother-in-law has just started making and selling a fantastic gin in Holland called VL-92. His market is high-end, such as it exists there. For obvious reasons, but really because of quality, it is my new go-to gin for G&T and for drinking neat. It's worth seeking out if you are in The Netherlands. Plug over. (BTW Wyan, he's fooled around with genever as well but nothing that comes close in quality to the gin.)
Cheers,
Paul

R. Somerville

#95 Post by R. Somerville » January 8th, 2012, 8:33 am

Hendricks
Martin Miller
Blackwoods
Favourite for G&T, Tanqueray
Plymouth, sadly, gives me a shocking headache

Anyone tried Aviation gin?

http://www.theginblog.co.uk/home/
Rich

Racy wine, racy women and racy bikes - Triumphs preferably.

"On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming." Robert M. Pirsig

CholakisCN

#96 Post by CholakisCN » January 8th, 2012, 12:10 pm

Another Hendrick's fan. Also have Bombay Sapphire and Tanqueray in the house also..Want to try Miler and Plymouth sometime soon.
Cheers,
Chris

Matt Shaffer

#97 Post by Matt Shaffer » January 13th, 2012, 5:54 pm

Martin Miller's and Hendricks are the two go-to's in my house. However, I have been drinking a little Ethereal lately, and I'm still not sure what I think about it. Sometimes I like its uniqueness(quite flowery), sometimes not so much.

b. c@stner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by b. c@stner » January 17th, 2012, 1:17 pm

Beefeater is my number one and about all I'll drink in a classic (for me that's 5 to 1, Noilly Prat please, olive) straight up martini. I have a hankering for Plymouth once in awhile, and as mentioned, Gordon's not half bad for the price but not straight up.
b 0 b

Brent C l a y t o n

#99 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » May 27th, 2012, 4:26 pm

It's Gin season again! I'm hitting the local stuff tonight.

‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Rob MacKay

#100 Post by Rob MacKay » May 28th, 2012, 3:11 pm

There's a season for Gin? My season lasts all year long.

Tried a new one today. Magellan Gin.

Naturally a light blue color. Very smooth with a lot of botanicals.

Return to “Beer and Spirits”