I’ve only had:

Dog Fish Head - Very Good to Outstanding

Southern Tier - Outstanding

Shipyard Pumpkinhead - had it last October and thought it was pretty bad

Weyerbacher - Outstanding

Smuttynose - Below Average to Average

Have in the cellar:

Post Road (Brooklyn)

Plus a few other not mentioned on the list.

I tasted many of these last year so I looked up my notes:

DFH was a nice beer, but not too much pumpkin.
Southern tier i did not try but currently have one in the fridge.
Buffalo Bill’s didn’t have much to it at all.
Weyerbacher was my favorite last year.
I’d love to find that Jolly Pumpkin one!
Smuttynose was lacking IMO.

Serious question. Who would want pumpkin in his beer and why? Ditto blackberries and the like. Ditto (thread drift) Pumpkin Spice Latte. I’m confused, 'cause to me the only thing worse would be putting citrus fruit in wine - unless you’re a Spaniard, of course.

It’s the Belgian way. In thumbing their noses at the Germans who created a law that states beer may only have four ingredients (water, yeast, barley and hops), the Belgians said “Screw that - anything goes in Belgium”.

So to answer your question of “why”? Because it’s there.

Exactly. Adding pumpkin, or coffee, or cherries, or any of the other things that are added to beer. It’s something different, and can be good.

I loooooove coffee stouts. One of my favorite beers is Ommegang Three Philosophers, which has a hint of added cherry juice. The pumpkin thing didn’t grab me, but that doesn’t make it a bad idea.

This just released in Houston. I scrambled to get eight bottles. Sold out in two hours or so locally. I’ll report back!

Saint Arnold’s Pumpkinator (Pumpkin Imperial Stout)
This year’s version comes in at 10% ABV. It is brewed with a combination of pale two row, caramel and black malts, Cascade and Liberty hops for a background hop flavor, pumpkin for a rich mouthfeel, molasses and brown sugar, and spiced and dry-spiced to make it feel like you just walked into your mom’s kitchen while she was cooking 37 pumpkin pies. It is the most expensive beer we have brewed. It is a single batch release and only in 22 oz. bottles (sharing recommended!). It probably won’t be on the shelves for too long.

Jorge - thanks for posting the link and comments on these seasonal beers.

The Shipyard Pumpkinhead is awful…and it seems someone always insists on bringing a 6-pack to our house around Halloween.

Last night, however, I enjoyed it’s sibling in the Smashed Pumpkin Ale, also from Shipyard Brewing Company. It has a nice, subtle pumpkin flavor that manages to taste fresh rather than canned or artificial. There’s a nice maltiness on the palate, which works well with the pie spice flavors. At 9%abv, it warms you up on a cool Fall evening. One of the best pumpkin beers I’ve had.

I’ll have to keep an eye out for some of the others recommended. Great thread.

I have a couple in the fridge at home that at least include:

Weyerbacher
Terrapin Pumpkinfest

I’m usually only good for one or two a year, as the style (typically) is a little too sweet for my preference. But when they show up in the fall, it always sounds like a good idea.

Weyerbacher is the one that’s tends to always be my favorite.
Also like the Jolly Pumpkin
DFH
Shipyard Smashed
and can take a little taste of the ST, but its hard to finish a full bottle

Had a taste of the Smuttynose tonight. T’weren’t very pumpkiny, but actually had a decent slightly hoppy finish. But don’t think I’d want a full 12-16 ounces.

If you can let the Shipyard Smashed age 1 year, I had a 2010 last night that was flirtysmile

So…3 months old? neener

The Southern Tier Pumpking is great but it might be a bit too sweet for some. Tastes like a slice of pumpkin pie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wicked Cool!

Fixed newhere