SMWS --- what do you think of them?

SMWS = Scotch Malt Whisky Society

basically, they usually take single casks from various distilleries and bottle them under their own label. So, they’re an independent bottler, I suppose.

Although, I suppose I don’t have to spell that out for anyone who actually clicked on this thread and has an opinion to offer.

Personally, I’ve been impressed with many of their offerings (esp. when price is taken into account), disappointed by a few, and very impressed with a few. Does anyone know if there is an American chapter?

Ah, very cool! I merely got this page ( http://www.smws.co.uk/ ) when I did a google search. I guess my UK IP is what did that.

I wonder if the USA chapter gets the same stuff as the UK chapter … gotta quick link with that answer, Joe?!? Or am I gonna have to do my own sleuthing? newhere pepsi

Not sure, but I remember a thread post a couple years ago. I think it was for a Seattle chapter???

It seems as though you get the same offerings.

Yes. The SMWS is alive and well in the US. Some years ago, Glenmo took over the whole SMWS. While they were ruining Ardbeg, they fixed the SMWS in the US. Prior to Glenmo, the SMWS was run by the loathsome Alan Shayne, who only got the dregs from the SMWS, which he sold at extortionate prices. Now, the US SMWS gets its fair share of the good stuff and is no longer subject to odious Shayne’s rapacious pricing.

Dumpster dive- but have been looking at the SMWSA for a bit after hearing about them last year- Colleague just put on a small tasting of a couple of his recent bottles- all were excellent. Took the plunge this week on a membership and initial order. Shipping ain’t cheap, but looking forward to trying out the results.

Please post about them, Scott. My experience with them has been mostly very positive.

Quality is good, but god it’s expensive (and that’s not even taking into account their yearly fee)

Yeah- that’s the piece I have to figure out- Based on the two tastes I had the other day, the quality jump may be worth it, plus they are cask strength so theoretically more quantity than a typical store shelf scotch watered back to 80 proof (not sure quantity is the right way to phrase that). If quality and the access to stuff I can’t normally/easily get are good enough, the cost will be worth it for me. The Caol Ila we had the other day was excellent and a clear cut about a previous store bought bottle (which was also very good btw)

In any case I have a shipment coming and will report back with my thoughts.

If I was in England I would do it, as you get access to their tasting rooms/events as well as the whisky. In the US, I think the only tasting room may be in NY.

GlenMonsanto sold the SMWS to a group of private investors circa 2015. Since then, SMWS hasn’t the access to casks that it did during GlenMonsanto’s ownership and is in the same boat as other independent bottlers looking for quality casks. The US SMWS is back to being the red-headed stepchild when it comes to cask selection and availability. I’m not a fan. YMMV.

Other than the “red-headed stepchild” part ( :slight_smile: ), I largely agree. We’re members, but it’s mostly to be able to go to the Vaults and Headquarters in Edinburgh when we are there. We almost exclusively buy bottles we’ve tasted there, and have a found a few very good ones, lots of not so great. You can sometimes pick up some older ones at auction, from previous administrations, as it were, and have a better chance.

Edited. Apologies, Sarah. [cheers.gif]

LOL - no worries, my friend. :slight_smile:

We decided to attend an SMWS preview tasting here in Philly tomorrow night. Will report back if there’s anything interesting on offer.

Thanks Sarah. Love to hear your thoughts!

Last night was a fun tasting, though we didn’t really love any of the casks. My husband put on a virtuoso display of some blind tasting magic - I say magic because there was no working through of elements to come up with the answer, it was just nose-sip-declare - for which I got to take brief credit because he doesn’t like to speak in front of groups. I quickly gave him credit, though. :slight_smile:

None of the casks were from well known distilleries, all were in 5-10 year range, IIRC. There was nothing we’d even considered buying, though probably half the 8 drams were tasty enough.

I confronted the guy running the event with questions about why the US doesn’t seem to get as good casks. First he prickled, and pointed out that there’s a fraction of the members here versus in Europe/UK. Then he came over later and asked if I would please write a scathing letter to the SMWS with this complaint. That was interesting. Perhaps I will.

All in the 5 to 10 year range?!? That’s displeasing.

Jonathan corrects me: everything was 8 to 12. I’m not an ageist - an 8 year Talisker was one of my favorite bottles of 2019 - so long as the spirit is balanced. But yes, they could have thrown in something with a bit more age.