Any Love for Canadian Whisky?

Any Love for High-End Canadian Whisky?

Boozehounds,

So while browsing around the LCBO yesterday, I discovered a pair of high-end 21 year old Canadian whiskies called the Century Reserve 21 and the Danfield’s 21. Apparently my country produces this golden elixir and it is in high demand in the rest of the world, especially down in the United States where you are allegedly its biggest consumers. Yet, I see absolutely no postings about it on this board.

My Interwebby we’re all connected electronic thingie research reveals an interesting background on the stuff:

• It’s mostly corn-based spirit, at an even higher percentage than bourbon which I believe has a 51% limit whereas there is no such restriction in Canada

• You also apparently call it rye whisky even though a great majority of them contain no actual rye grain, giving a built-in marketing scheme to any Canadian or American whisky maker like Alberta Premium that actually uses 100% rye

• Apparently, we do not use mash bills like the Yankees but actually distill the grains separately and blend them together afterwards. Renowned Canadian distiller John Hall refers to this as “whisky meritage blending.”

The reviews for the Century Reserve 21 and the Danfield’s 21 are exceedingly positive and all mention how much lighter and smoother they are than American bourbon or Scotch whisky. The best part is that each is only $50 CDN apiece.

This seems to be a trait with the stuff as last night I imbibed I actually had some 1/2 oz pours last night of Forty Creek Confederation Oak Reserve and Port Wood Reserve Canadian whiskies and the Balvenie 21 Year Old Portwood and the Glenlivet 21 Archive just to compare to each other. I was struck at how much smoother and lighter the Canadian whiskies were in comparison, most likely due to the corn base.

I love the Forty Creek whiskies, and am very curious now about the Danfield’s and the Century Reserve and find them very hard to pass up at that price point. Has anyone here on the board had them? If so what, are your thoughts on them, the Forty Creeks and other Canadian whiskies? Share your love if you have any.

No. While Whistle Pig has gotten some love (it’s Canadian rye bottled in VT) in general I find the rye blends from Canada too oaky and sweet. I like the bite of American rye better, and I would rather buy American.

No.

NO!!! While I am sure there is some wonderful stuff I have yet to taste any. My friend brought some back after a recent trip to BC. He grabbed some recommended bottles. They were disgusting. Not just bad … disgusting.

Jason

It’s not a 51% limit - it’s a minimum of 51% corn to be labeled Bourbon.

No!

(although, I had no idea Whistle Pig is Canadian — I think it’s very good).

Brian,

My understanding is that Whistle Pig has been distilling and barreling down their own spirits, but the first few bottlings were definitely aged Canadian spirit. I think they’re sourcing other aged ryes now from the US, however they keep the info on their website vague as to the sourcing.

The only good Canadian whiskey I’ve ever tasted was Bush Pilot’s, 13 year old, single cask, unblended Canadian corn whiskey sold in the '90s. Still have a few bottles, somewhere.

I was told by someone who works there that Whistle Pig hopes to start distilling this year.

So I did end up getting the Danfield’s and Century Reserve 21 year olds. High hopes for these. I also hope to get out to Niagara this summer and visit Forty Creek and grab their new Heart of Gold whisky.

Had a great visit at 40 Creek a couple of weeks ago. Really liked their Copper Pot, a HUGE step up from their regular bottling and for a few bucks more a no brainer if you can find it. Confederation Oak (Canadian Oak) had a really unique nose in a good way. I picked up a bottle of the double wood, which is finished in Bourbon barrels. Somewhat sweet (i.e. Bourbon), and YUM!

Can’t recall if I had the Heart of Gold, but if I had it, I liked the double wood better anyways.

Hey Tran, so did you ever find anything good?

Tried a few more when I was up there last week. Still not very good.

Jason

The Century 21 Reserve is definitely the best one I’ve tried so far. The 21 years of age definitely shows in the smooth body. Lots of vanilla and oak flavors but might be too one-dimensional for Scotch and Bourbon lovers.

I’d have to agree with you that most of them are pretty crap for the most part and are only tolerable mixed with ginger ale or coke. That’s why I make sure to find the better ones.

Have they been around for 21 years??? Wow, time flies. When was the Century 21 available? What was the cost?

What kind of amazed me about 40 Creek was that the distilled materials are the basically the same for each cuvee. They only differ in wood treatment and aging. Seems a bit weird for a Burgundy fan like me where the quality is made in the vineyard, and the important part of the processing from there is to not screw it up.

From a rye fan who doesn’t drink much Canadian whiskey… Lot 40 is an unusual one, and somewhat polarizing, but I REALLY dig it.